Ford Super Duty

/ Ford Super Duty #21  
There are two types of Ford 6.0l diesel owners, those who have had a major breakdown and those who are going to have a major breakdown.

I highly doubt any of those engines have hit 200K without any major problems.

/ Ford Super Duty #22  
Chris,
Have you read thru the truck and trailer forums on The Hull Truth? Up until last year I defended the 6.0 engines and never had a problem. Now with two 6.0's an '03 F250 6.0 and a '05 F550 6.0 I can say I have experienced some of the grief I have read about. Meanwhile the three 7.3 trucks I have have never had problems. The '05 had to have a shortblock at 24,000 miles.

I do not doubt there were not trucks that had issues but it got blow way out of proportion, just like the accelerator issue with Toyota. I can say like I did before that out of the 12 or so I know of only 1 had issues. None had a tranny or drive line failure. The numbers of success are far better than the GM or Dodge's of the same era in my circle of friends and associates.

Chris

/ Ford Super Duty #23  
My 01 F-250 Gasser with alittle over 98000 has only hit the shop 1 time. Vibration in the drive shaft. My dealer had it corrected in no time under warrenty.After thinking hard about it I may have been the culprit. I got my boat and trailer hung during a bad drought year at the ramp and bent the axle snatching it out.:ashamed:
Carey

/ Ford Super Duty #24  
There are two types of Ford 6.0l diesel owners, those who have had a major breakdown and those who are going to have a major breakdown.

Sorry, but spoken like a true internet reader. I had an oil leak, small but there, on the '06 I bought a couple of years ago. A Ford certified diesel master mechanic is who confirmed what I experienced; the 7.3 was a so-so engine but nothing special. A 5.9 Cummins would last about twice as long as a 7.3 PSD. From everything I've heard, at 250k the 7.3 PSD is about done. Ford even bragged about them being a 250k engine. I wouldn't give 5k for that truck.

I drove a 12v Cummins for almost 10 years and loved it but everything else on the truck was getting old and I was getting up there in miles. I'm not one who would hop in a 250k mile pickup and tow a trailer 500 miles. Not me. After 2 years not only has my 6.0 PSD been trouble free, but I have it running extremely strong. Still, no issues. The 7.3 PSD I had was constantly costing me bucks to keep it together. I felt like I needed to just keep a glovebox full of those camshaft sensors and injectors. I gave up on keeping it from leaking everywhere after it crossed 100k miles.

Two friends bought GM Dribblemax engine powered pickups at the same time I bought my '06 PSD pickup. They've both had far, far more problems than I. One is in for a transmission overhaul on his Allison! I'm far, far happier with my decision going with the 6.0 PSD.

However, what you said is actually true; true for every single engine ever produced. None will last forever. My opinion is that the Cummins engine will outlast both the GM and Ford engines by a factor of 2X. Still, being that I like the looks, ride, drive and comfort of the Ford far more than I do the GM or Dodge offering, I opted to drive what I like and not what bloggers blog about. I took my engine advice from a guy who has worked on 6.0 PSD engines every single work day of his life for the last 7 years and in his free time races and pulls with a 6.0 PSD Ford. Like I said, IMHO, the Cummins will last the longest, but that's relative. I'll never drive a pickup with 500k miles on it; ever. With my '06 PSD pulling loads anywhere from 15k to 20k about 50% of the time it's driven, I'll be thrilled to death if I get to 200k with no problems. It's a given I'll get there with no additional costs because it's under warranty that long.

Anyway, I wouldn't touch that quarter million mile pickup for anywhere close to 10k. The body and interior may be nice, but the powertrain and suspension are done unless they've all been replaced. I go to auctions all the time. I'd be shocked if they paid any more than $5500 tops for that pickup.

/ Ford Super Duty #25  
One of my trucks is a 1999 SD F250 with 7.3 PSD and 6 spd manual shift that I bought new. It has 253,000 miles on it and has been a very good truck. My first repair on it was a kind of strange thing. I had to replace one injector and a wiring harness for the injectors. Garage said the harness was the initial problem and messed up the injector. A water pump replaced, only one altenator so far, 2 sets of batteries (always do both at same time), upper ball joint on drivers side seems to be a nagging thing (2 so far and one on passenger side), slave cylinder for clutch and the one "little" nagging thing is the sorry little bushing (not one of Fords "better ideas") that is within the connection of the clutch arm (under dash) and the piston that works the hydraulic clutch mechanism. I've seen the cost of that little thing go from 5 to $10 in 11 yrs. Oh yes, Dargo reminded me of the CPS issue. Cam position sensor went out before the recall. I haven't pursued a reimbursement but have considered taking mine in for a new one.

/ Ford Super Duty #26  
I have owned Ford Diesel trucks since 1990,I currently own a 2007 with the 6.0.I started with the 7.3 normally aspirated,I added the A.T.S turbo system,this up date was a day and night improvement.updated to the 7.3 powerstroke in 96.This also was a vast improvement.I have been extremely pleased with the performance and reliability of the 6.0. only problem was a minor oil leak repaired by local Ford dealership.I was reluctant of the 6.0 after hearing of all the horror storys.I have been following the progress on the new Powerstroke I'm very impressed with the clean slate design and all the real world testing and through training of the mechanics and techs before the release of this vehicle.I would'nt hessatate to put my hard earned money down on a new Superduty:thumbsup:
Scotty

/ Ford Super Duty #27  
One of my trucks is a 1999 SD F250 with 7.3 PSD and 6 spd manual shift that I bought new. It has 253,000 miles on it and has been a very good truck. My first repair on it was a kind of strange thing. I had to replace one injector and a wiring harness for the injectors. Garage said the harness was the initial problem and messed up the injector. A water pump replaced, only one altenator so far, 2 sets of batteries (always do both at same time), upper ball joint on drivers side seems to be a nagging thing (2 so far and one on passenger side), slave cylinder for clutch and the one "little" nagging thing is the sorry little bushing (not one of Fords "better ideas") that is within the connection of the clutch arm (under dash) and the piston that works the hydraulic clutch mechanism. I've seen the cost of that little thing go from 5 to $10 in 11 yrs. Oh yes, Dargo reminded me of the CPS issue. Cam position sensor went out before the recall. I haven't pursued a reimbursement but have considered taking mine in for a new one.

One of the few problems with the 7.3 motors is the wiring harness for the injectors. I think they had this cured by the 2002 models. The service manager at my local dealership mentioned this to me.

/ Ford Super Duty #28  

Not only do these type of useless and ignorant comments lower the value of the thread, they also lower the credibility of this poster. If you hate Ford trucks or PSD's so much, why even log onto this thread?

BTW, I love Cummins engines. I have one in my dozer. I just don't want my pickup sounding like a dozer.....:laughing:

/ Ford Super Duty #29  
I've been told the psd's sound like a freight train ( by my mother.. :) )

soundguy

/ Ford Super Duty #30  
I've been told the psd's sound like a freight train ( by my mother.. :) )

soundguy

LOL....I've been meaning to get one of those absurdly loud train horns for my F350!