Ford Super Duty

/ Ford Super Duty #31  
I wouldn't mind an air horn for my f450.. but not as a replacement.. only as an addition. i could mount it behind my scoop, and still use the truck horn, and then use the air horn 'as needed' :)

soundguy

/ Ford Super Duty #32  
Since 7.3 oil leaks were mentioned, I snapped a couple pics with my phone of a 7.3psd high pressure pump and high pressure line replacement I did today. This job was on a 7.3 in a IH 4700 low pro chassis. The only difference is the low pro power steering pump mounts above the high pressure pump and drives off of the high pressure pump drive gear in the front cover, where a pickup does not have this power steering pump provision and the fuel filter housing resides here instead.

The first pic is the valley after the old high pressure pump was removed. you can see all the oil in the engine valley due to the old pump leaking.

The second pic is the reman high pressure pump on the bench after I already installed the IPR and IPR coil, which are the gold anodized items on the pump.

The third pic is the high pressure pump bolted on the engine , the IPR harness is hooked up, but the high pressure oil lines are not, as you can see the two quick connect ports side by side

The fourth is the high pressur oil pump drive gear bolt and washer. This holds the drive gear to the pump shaft, and must be removed through the two bolt inspection cover in the engine front cover directly inline with the high pressure pump. The drive gear stays in the front cover when you remove the pump. Be very careful putting this bolt back in, as it would be very easy to drop the washer off the bolt and down into the front cover. If that happens get ready to yank the engine.

On a 6.0, this pump is also in the valley, and shares many of the same features, it is not interchangable with a 7.3 pump and it is in the back of the valley under the Turbocharger. According to IH, this was done to reduce audible noise outside of the truck.

AS for the op's original question. I would pass on it, just to many miles. Diesel or not, everything else is probably worn out from the window regulators and seat motors right down to the door hinges and latches, not to mention wheel bearings, diffs Tcase etc.

Attachments

• high pressure1.jpg
    high pressure1.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 124
  • high pressure2.jpg
    high pressure2.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 111
  • high pressure3 installed.jpg
    high pressure3 installed.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 113
  • high pressure 4 gear retaining bolt and washer.jpg
    high pressure 4 gear retaining bolt and washer.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 101
   / Ford Super Duty #33  
Depending on the load, an F250 might you might be putting too much weight on the rear axle.

We had a 2002 F250 SD. It did well until we bought a new gooseneck horsetrailer with living quarters (14,000 GVW). We were 300# overweight on the truck rear axle without water or horses!) I could feel some sway in the rear end even on gentle curves. We had to upgrade to a dually (C3500). Stability improved immensely and safety was better.

I also pull a 14,000 gooseneck equipment trailer (tractor, skid steer, mini ex) with it and it does fine, no stability issues.

If you load up your equipment such that much weight goes on the truck axle, I think you will be overloaded with a F250.

Oh, the F250 PULLED the trailer fine. But I'd hate to have a tire blow while going down the road!

Ken

/ Ford Super Duty #34  
AS for the op's original question. I would pass on it, just to many miles. Diesel or not, everything else is probably worn out from the window regulators and seat motors right down to the door hinges and latches, not to mention wheel bearings, diffs Tcase etc.

That's really my point and why I said I'd never drive around a pickup with that many miles. At times I need to hook onto my trailer and tow a heavy load 1000 miles. No chance I'm going to do that with a pickup truck that has a quarter million miles or more on it. I'm sure some have. Good for them. It's just not something I'll do. If it's a semi, that's a different story. :D

/ Ford Super Duty
That's really my point and why I said I'd never drive around a pickup with that many miles. At times I need to hook onto my trailer and tow a heavy load 1000 miles. No chance I'm going to do that with a pickup truck that has a quarter million miles or more on it. I'm sure some have. Good for them. It's just not something I'll do. If it's a semi, that's a different story. :D

Thanks guys...I have decided to look for a lower milage truck.

/ Ford Super Duty #36  
Thanks guys...I have decided to look for a lower milage truck.

Smart move. Buying used is usually buying someone else's problems. The more miles the more problems.

Chris

/ Ford Super Duty #37  
That's really my point and why I said I'd never drive around a pickup with that many miles. At times I need to hook onto my trailer and tow a heavy load 1000 miles. No chance I'm going to do that with a pickup truck that has a quarter million miles or more on it. I'm sure some have.

One of the Local RV dealers had a 97 Dodge with almost 800,000 K on it.

My old 96 has 230,000K on it. It's done quite a bit of towing and usually has a camper on it.

On the outside the "Paint Job" has pealed and in places has had some Tremclad applied. Looks like a Paint Pony. The running gear, steering components and brakes are all brand new in the last several years. A little spot of rust on one front fender and the drivers seat is getting worn.

According to the shop it goes to its been costing me .09 cents a mile for tires and repairs. That comes in much cheaper than a new truck!:)

The meager income has stated that there will be no replacement for a while.:)

Oh, did I say it was a Dodge!:laughing:

Last edited:
   / Ford Super Duty #38  
One of the Local RV dealers had a 97 Dodge with almost 800,000 K on it.

My old 96 has 230,000K on it. It's done quite a bit of towing and usually has a camper on it.

On the outside the "Paint Job" has pealed and in places has had some Tremclad applied. Looks like a Paint Pony. The running gear, steering components and brakes are all brand new in the last several years. A little spot of rust on one front fender and the drivers seat is getting worn.

According to the shop it goes to its been costing me .09 cents a mile for tires and repairs. That comes in much cheaper than a new truck!:)

The meager income has stated that there will be no replacement for a while.:)

Oh, did I say it was a Dodge!:laughing:

As I mentioned, some do. I've mentioned several times before that a salvage yard only 2 miles from my home has sold several 5.9 Cummins engines out of Dodge trucks with close to a million miles on them; and has gotten good money out of them. I just play the odds. With all the thousands of parts that go into a pickup truck, with a few hundred thousand miles on it, you know several parts are at their life's end. Which part? A door handle? No big deal. A rear axle? Problem. Radiator? Problem. With my danged arthritis in my hips from when I broke them decades ago in a motorcycle racing accident, I really don't like walking long distances if I don't have to. Funny how those "healed" injuries come back and get you later in life...

/ Ford Super Duty #39  
I just play the odds. With all the thousands of parts that go into a pickup truck, with a few hundred thousand miles on it, you know several parts are at their life's end. Which part? A door handle? No big deal. A rear axle? Problem. Radiator? Problem.

I think with modern vehicles, it's not the major components, it's the small sophisticated ones! We had a '96 Blazer. Fuel pump went out. $600 for the pump alone! Brakes were not acting right, possibly the ABS controller, $1300 parts alone :( The drive train was fine, but heck you could replace an engine for the cost of the fuel pump and ABS controller.

Ken

/ Ford Super Duty #40  
abs controller in my 00 'government motor corporation' yukon was 800$.. what a pita!

soundguy