Ford tractor problems

/ Ford tractor problems #1  

davtan

Tractor
ford 1720
I have a 1720 Ford which is an ex shopping centre trolley recovery tractor which has had a hard life. Not being familiar with the operation of the unit, I have discovered that everything except the PTO appears to be functional.
Is there any trick to operating the PTO except for the short operating lever on the left hand side of the seat. I am hoping that there is some override switch / gizmo which deactivates the PTO because I am getting no response when the lever is pushed in either direction.
The lever seems to operate the linkages which in turn twist the shaft which enters the gearbox, but no action at all at the business end.
If there is no override, I would appreciate advce on simple checks to carry out to try to determine what the problem is.
Help!!!!
I also have a 1710 Ford which is in exceptional condition except for a cracked head. I have had no luck in tracking down a replacement, either new or reconditioned, any ideas ?

/ Ford tractor problems #2  
Welcome to TBN Blue,

Can You spin PTO shaft by hand in both direction With the engine "off, Pto lever engaged and clutch out. You have a "live pto", double clutch set up. clutch 1/2 way pressed disengages the transmission clutch and pushing the pedal all the way to the floor will disengage the pto. a shaft couple pto clutch transfers the torque to a sliding gear in the diffy (engage/disengage) lever. You need to find if all components couple all the way to final PTO output shaft.

JC,

/ Ford tractor problems #3  
what trans does it have if it is a 9x3 it has a single clutch and i would start looking at the pto sprag clutch which is basicly a over run coupler inside the rear end if it has a shuttle shift or is hydro then check the clutch adjustment first

/ Ford tractor problems
Thanks guys, for taking the time to respond. I am a rank amateur with this thing but I will check out the cantankerous beast according to instructions to see where it takes me.
As far as I can determine, the thing has a double clutch setup as suggested,by JC-Jetro. I will check the spin of the shaft and have a look at clutch adjustment.
Thanks to you both for your suggestions.
Very impressive find that there are people out there who are willing to take the time to lend a hand. Very grateful.
Will report back on progress.
I am also at a loss about what to do with my 1710 which was disabled very early in its life and has had minimal use since 1988. Wonderful condition except for the cracked head. Almost a museum piece if you didn't need it to actually work. Can't find a head anywhere. Did come across one reconditioned unit in Minneapolis which is a little way from my place in Sydney Australia for freight purposes.

/ Ford tractor problems #5  
if you don't want to ship a part overseas.. then the 1710 may stay a museum piece unfortunately, assuming you have not found one since 88 down under...

soundguy

/ Ford tractor problems #6  
They fix cracked heads all the time. It shouldn't be a big deal to get yours repaired. Where are you located. If you have a dual clutch you have to make sure you have free play in you pedal or your pto disc will slip.
Bill

/ Ford tractor problems #7  
They fix cracked heads all the time. It shouldn't be a big deal to get yours repaired. Where are you located. If you have a dual clutch you have to make sure you have free play in you pedal or your pto disc will slip.
Bill

in post # 4 he stated he was in:
Sydney Australia

soundguy

/ Ford tractor problems #8  
I worked on forklifts in Adelaide, Australia a number of years ago and we sent parts out to machine shops all the time for crack repair in heads and a number of other parts. As long as the crack isn't too bad and it's accessible for welding it shouldn't be a problem for a reputable machine shop to repair it. Also check ebay or a local dealer, you might luck out and find a good used one.

/ Ford tractor problems #9  
You might check with the people listed below. They did not have a listing for 1710 but had for 1720. They listed out a block for $800 (Yikes) but no cylinder head. Their inventory might not be very up to date, no harm is giving them a call. Also use search feature of the site and check for 1700 cracked head. It was repaired by a machine shop with good result. How do you know the head is cracked? can it be blown gasket? is the head off the tractor?

JC,

Wengers Of Myerstown - Farm Equipment, Agriculture Equipment, Tractor Parts, Construction Equipment, Construction Parts

Ps. Just realized you're down under mate, shipping will be prohibitive. I'll just concentrate on local repair if the head is cracked indeed.G'day:)

/ Ford tractor problems
Thanks Guys for the suggestions. I am not reluctant to ship the head from O/S.
When I mentioned the museum, I was only referring to the excellent condition of the tractor (except for one extremely important item).
I have tried shopping the head around to a number of head repair places in Sydney, but they all thow their hands up in horror when they see the extent of the damage.
Am currently looking for someone who may have a reconditioned unit for sale. If anyone can suggest a source, I would be very grateful.