forward/reverse pedals don't return to neutral

/ forward/reverse pedals don't return to neutral #1  

tmercer

Tractor
John Deere 4400 compact utility
4400 compact utility tractor with hydrostatic drive. Problem is that the forward/reverse pedals don't return to neutral position when released. Anyone else had this problem? Where do I start to find what is wrong and fix it?

/ forward/reverse pedals don't return to neutral #2  
:welcome: Mine do it some time I clean the dust and dirt off them give them a shot of graphite dry lube and good to go.

/ forward/reverse pedals don't return to neutral #3  
Check the linkage under the floorboards. Assure all springs are in place. With engine off, work pedals from underneath watching for binding etc. I've had sticks jam into the linkage after driving in brushy areas causing unexpected pedal reactions.

/ forward/reverse pedals don't return to neutral #4  
I had a pin come out of the forward pedal. It collapsed forward. Had to back up all the way back to the garage to get underneath there and put another pin in.

Ralph

/ forward/reverse pedals don't return to neutral
Thanks for the replies. I probably should have noted earlier that the pedals both move freely and the tractor does move when they are pushed. I figured it is probably a return spring problem. A quick check didn't find anything real obvious, so I need to get it in the barn where I can dig in deeper.

/ forward/reverse pedals don't return to neutral #6  
Yes, it's often hard to see a spring is missing when it's not there.

/ forward/reverse pedals don't return to neutral
Problem solved.

It was a return spring problem...sort of. The spring pushes a cam follower that pushes against a V-shaped cam connected to the pedals. The follower rides one side of the V when "forward" pedal is pushed and other side when "reverse" is pushed. The follower was not moving freely allowing the spring to push it back to the "neutral" (bottom of the V) position. A little WD40 and I got it freed up again. Works great now.

/ forward/reverse pedals don't return to neutral #8  
Problem solved.

It was a return spring problem...sort of. The spring pushes a cam follower that pushes against a V-shaped cam connected to the pedals. The follower rides one side of the V when "forward" pedal is pushed and other side when "reverse" is pushed. The follower was not moving freely allowing the spring to push it back to the "neutral" (bottom of the V) position. A little WD40 and I got it freed up again. Works great now.

I know this is an old thread but i wanted to give my diagnosis and repair, especially since it was in-expensive on my JD 2210.
As described earlier in the thread my pedals were not returning, I also noticed the forward pedal required more pressure. I disconnected the hydro unit mechanically by removing some pins and found the whole pedal assembly difficult to move. Upon further analyzing I found a pivot point that had no free play, all others you could see moving easily when pedal was moved. I applied some WD40 on each side of the pivot and waited about 5 mins. The pedal was easier to move. I continued applying WD40, letting it sit, and moving pedal by hand until it moved freely. Reattached all linkages and it stop immediately.
Had same issue with differential lock, pressed it down and it would return, same type of pivot, same process to free it up and it all works.
Use 1/2 a spray can of WD40 and sprayed white lithium grease after all was working properly.