foton 254 pto falling in neutral.

/ foton 254 pto falling in neutral. #1  

domains

Silver Member
Just bought this tractor new ....

Let my brother(mister know it all) tried it and did not need instructions because he knows everything... and he placed the PTO in gear without pressing clutch.. tractor is setup with a snowbrower and it snaped the safty bolt.

now sometimes it falls in neutral...

Was wondering if its a big job to take apart and check...

free parts for a year with warenty but I have to pay labour..

I'm kinda a backyardmechanic ... my father is a licenced mechanic so i know my way around motors.

take off cover under seat? ty

/ foton 254 pto falling in neutral. #2  
now sometimes it falls in neutral...
Not sure what you mean by this. Could you be a little more specific please?

//greg//

/ foton 254 pto falling in neutral.
Hi there...

It has a hi-neutral-low for power take off to turn blower/hugger .... and when blowing snow sometimes it falls in neutral ... its like it has a warped gear, the stick will shake then fall in neutral . It was low on diff oil 9L when needed 11L and its better but not perfect.

when he placed power take off in gear he did not press clutch :(

First hour of owning tractor this happen.... not fun.

/ foton 254 pto falling in neutral. #4  
I had similar situation on my tractor. (different brand)
I had adjustements that assured full meshing of the PTO gears and they had slipped so that I was only catching the edges of the teeth.
Simple re-adjustement may be all it takes.
Check your manual as it should show any adjustements.
Probably you are 'over engaged' in hi and 'barely engaged in low' (or visa versa).
Get done soon before you round off the teeth by slipping out of gear.

Also you say new tractor, could they have missed this adjustement at pre delivery?
I'd talk to your dealer.
Note that this would only show up in a 'work loaded' situation and not in a routine shop inspection.

/ foton 254 pto falling in neutral. #5  
It has a hi-neutral-low for power take off
Ok, that's not the PTO engage/disengage lever. For clarification, that's the PTO speed select lever. The PTO engage/disengage is a separate lever. What you're calling low selects the gear set which turns the PTO spline at 540 rpm (at the appropriate engine speed). I don't believe there's actually an idler gear in the middle, but I guess it does sorta act like a neutral. The position you call Hi turns the PTO spline at either 720 or 1000 rpm, depending upon which gear set is installed.

That said, you may not yet have to go inside yet. That lever is typically held in place by a roll pin. Check that first, to see if it's slipped/cracked/broken. Since it's new this is unlikely, but one or more of the holes that the roll pin goes through could be egged out too. Also check for excess paint. The factory paint jobs leave a lot to be desired, and often fresh paint runs down levers and collects at the bottom. Often this is a pivot point, and the dried glob can restrict full travel of the lever.

If none of that produces results, I agree with PILOON; you should treat it as a warranty issue. How far away is this "parts-only" dealer?

//greg//

/ foton 254 pto falling in neutral. #6  
My guess is he bent something when he forced it into high or low.

Make him take it apart and fix it if he knows everything.:D:D:D

Chris

/ foton 254 pto falling in neutral. #7  
Domains, If you want I will post expanded views of the PTO gears and levers. They may help you and your father solve the mystery. The tip of the shifting fork could be broken or with luck, something much simpler. Richard

Thanks for help... :)

If I unhook the level in the tractor and just leave the little lever on the diff free (by playing in gear and starting tractor) it will shake when blowing snow. So it can't be adjustment of the shifter.

Just starting to blow snow it will come out of gear once or twice then stop doing this.... its like the gear gets oiled and moves more freely. and it will stop shaking the shifter... before i added 2L of oil it would shake all the time...

I have 30Hours on the tractor had 17 when I bought.
dumb mechanic said he placed oil in it and lied ... he said if i overfill il bust gaskets... the dipstick is there for a reason.

diagram of this gear would be nice

EDIT: and it does not come out of gear in hi 1000rmp... :( low gear is 540 as stated. I can;t blow in "hi" to fast.

Diamondpilot
5 people was watching him do this.... and even after busting safety pin , still would not own up to it.

/ foton 254 pto falling in neutral. #10  
If the lever engages into either PTO speed, it sounds like it's an adjustment to keep it into the selected position?
If the PTO works good with the lever in position, it might not be an internal problem? Some of those shift levers have spring loaded plungers and detents that hold them in place like the levers on the transmissions. Does that one have a feature like that? It might just need an adjustment of the spring tension if it does. I'd look for the most simple problem first, then delve further if that's not it.
Rob-