Found a coyote, I think

/ Found a coyote, I think #271  
Hey John How is the new house coming? Any word on how Sandy is taking to her new life?
Randy

/ Found a coyote, I think
Randy,

Very nice to hear from you!

We are slowly making progress on the new house, but I must admit some of the wind was taken from our sails.

Sending Sandy away was a heart wrenching experience. It's the loss of a family member. The place feels so different without her joyous and funny presence.

Last night we were sitting out on the back porch overlooking the vast BLM lands to our south. Pinion pines and brush. The Pine Nut mountains jutting up aggressively just to the west. A wildfire was burning about 10 miles away and the evening sky was alive with smoke and thunderstorm clouds. Repeated flashes and loud rumbling booms captured our imagination. A smoky scent mixed with the desert sage. The trees were filled with quail and their conversation. A distant owl hooted. And best of all, the song dogs were out. Coyotes just out of sight yipping their song. The evening dimmed to last light as we sipped our drinks. Fascinating.

When Sandy would hear those dogs she became very nervous, but I love it and it's there every night. Are they her siblings?

I've been writing about her and outlining the book. Two problems are holding me back. One is telling all the interesting little aspects of her early life in a way that makes sense. The other is defining her place in our family and our interaction. This second one is with me all the time as I miss her and think about how we interacted.

She wasn't a pet. She was a family member. She didn't try much to please us, but wanted to be a part of all we did. We didn't really train her, but she learned how to live with us and be a part of our life. She lived her life with us in a very happy way and developed her habits, games and activities around ours. She included us in her life as we included her in ours. Never hiding her emotions or living in fear, and always being exactly who she was. She was able to be a coyote with all her instincts in play, but get along fine in a domestic world. Without words she expressed every thought and emotion, and as it turned out, and luckily, she is a very nice dog. Not a mean bone in her body.

I'm beginning to liken her to a house guest. A friend or relative that comes to visit for an extended stay. One who wants to fit in and have some fun times. Not someone we would train, but someone we would interact with. Someone the neighbors would come to meet. Someone that would make our lives better and more interesting. Someone with a definite kinship.

But in this case, of course, disaster could strike at any time. So we sent her away to save her.

I'm happy she is safe, but sad we can't live together.

I still expect to see her come bounding up for a treat or a greeting. I still see her toys around and chew marks on my stuff. The richness of life is not quite the same.

A new and bright future awaits her and is already beginning. She is at a place called Southwest Wildlife Conservation Center in Scottsdale Arizona. She will most likely become their ambassador dog and they are very pleased to have her. It seems they haven't met a coyote like her before and they have told me that we obviously had her best interest at heart as we raised her. I agree. She was not in distress and loves people. The public will have a chance to meet her and learn more about these fascinating dogs.

I haven't had an update from them in a couple of weeks and I'm getting a bit antsy. She had to be quarantined, get her shots and get spayed. They had to spend some time with her to see what she is like and they are looking for a pal for her to live with. A male. The last word was they were preparing an enclosure for her. I hope to learn more soon. My neighbor is going down to see her in a couple of weeks so we'll have a report and more pictures soon.

I am standing by to volunteer my time and tractor as needed when they further their development. This is an ongoing, long term commitment on my part and theirs.

I'm encouraging everyone that has reason to be in the area to make a point of stopping in and meeting her. Please do! Pet her and talk to her a bit and you'll find the magic of meeting a coyote in a non threatening situation. Wow!. How often can we do that? She has impressed the folks there with her desire to climb up in their laps and go for walks with them. She seems perfectly healthy and happy, but needing more room than the original cramped quarters she initially had for quarantine.

If there is anything true about coyotes, it's that they are survivors. She is durable and determined. She makes the most out of every moment and is making new friends with people and other dogs.

Now, with her time here done and the concerns about her relieved, our neighbors are expressing their feelings about the whole deal. Some are just curious, some miss her and some know it was a once in a lifetime experience to meet her and get to know her. Letters and photos are coming to us. People are bragging that they met her. Word has spread a long way. At one time I was trying to keep it under wraps and quell the concerns, now I'm enjoying the interaction and viewpoints. I'm struggling to put it all into words so others can understand something they've never known.

Sandy has done a lot with helping the lives of the song dogs. Many now hear them differently in the night. Maybe with a bit more curiosity and a bit less anxiety, knowing a real personality is attached to that song.

Stay in touch and visit her if you get the chance!

Here's a picture of Sandy and her friend Herbert

Attachments

• DSC01793.jpg
    DSC01793.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
   / Found a coyote, I think #273  
John,

Thanks for the update. Although i have never met Sandy, through your words I feel a connection, and I too have been missing her. I am anxiously looking forward to when your current project is complete, mark me down for a copy or two!

/ Found a coyote, I think #274  
Thanks for the update. You've had a truly wonderful experience and your ability to convey what happened is really appreciated. BTW, if i was the cat in your picture, id be a little worried. :)

/ Found a coyote, I think #275  
Thanks John, I know you will figure out how you want to put it to paper, and with your writing skills it should make a good book. I am looking forward to any updates you may get, I know alot of others here are checking to see if any have surfaced. Sandy will have a full life there and meet a lot of new people to marvel with her antics, we wish her the best of luck.
Hang in there things will even out and get make to some what normal.

Randy

/ Found a coyote, I think #276  
Thanks John, I know you will figure out how you want to put it to paper, and with your writing skills it should make a good book. I am looking forward to any updates you may get, I know alot of others here are checking to see if any have surfaced. Sandy will have a full life there and meet a lot of new people to marvel with her antics, we wish her the best of luck.
Hang in there things will even out and get back to some what normal.

Randy

/ Found a coyote, I think #279  
"The richness of life is not quite the same."

Every time I have lost a close pet, I feel this way. But you have not lost her, she is that house guest that has moved on. I know it's tough on y'all, but I say go see her and get more involved with the sanctuary. She has adapted much better than you have, so writing and "doing" will ease you mind.

Mace, a movie, eh...? Hmmm, I wonder where they would find a Raspy double?;)

/ Found a coyote, I think
"The richness of life is not quite the same."

Every time I have lost a close pet, I feel this way. But you have not lost her, she is that house guest that has moved on. I know it's tough on y'all, but I say go see her and get more involved with the sanctuary. She has adapted much better than you have, so writing and "doing" will ease you mind.

Mace, a movie, eh...? Hmmm, I wonder where they would find a Raspy double?;)

You have a great way of putting things. We're fine, and thankful for the fantastic experience. We really learned a lot and had a lot of fun, but I won't do it again. We're very glad to be out from under the responsibility and pressure of finding a good solution for her.

I just got another note and picture from the sanctuary this morning. She now has her own enclosure and they are starting her on clicker training. She looks more mature and very healthy.

Should I start looking for my double? :laughing:

Cheers!

Attachments

• DSC02055.jpg
    DSC02055.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 265