Found a coyote, I think

/ Found a coyote, I think #751  
Mine came to us 6 years ago as an abused 9 month old, she's a mut, so I can't say what breeds she has. Being severely beat, her ears are hard and damaged scar tissue and she's very reluctant to being touched by anyone but us and even now she's cautious and slow to come into touching range. To a stranger, no chance.

Angel goes out and what I typically do is go onto the back deck or the front porch and listen to get an idea where she is. She runs a pretty consistent loop pattern, so I can judge if she's on the return path or still working out into woods deeper. I'm not sure what her sound is called other than a constant quick yelping bark that is very different from her bark heard when a vehicle pulls in. I fully do believe is to ward off any rodents, deer or the very common coyotes we have here. Or thought it's that she appreciates us taking her in, and that she's never hit or kicked here, so we think that in return she wants to protect us from all of murderous rodents in the woods

If you ran into this situation again in your life, would you do similar and give the coyote a home with you or did you find a compelling reason in this adventure that would make you not want to do similar if presented with that choice?

I attached a photo of my Angel and her typical distance she is comfortable with, always near by, always watching. And when she wants it, beside me getting pet. But I could never hug her, hold her or in any way make her feel confined or held in place. She goes ballistic if you attempt to grab her. My vet freaks that it's because if her beatings and that she still only allows so much trust of pain givers.... humans.
20180828_193442.jpeg

/ Found a coyote, I think
If you ran into this situation again in your life, would you do similar and give the coyote a home with you or did you find a compelling reason in this adventure that would make you not want to do similar if presented with that choice?
View attachment 569153

The compelling reasons for not doing it are the legal ramifications, can't get shots, can't get veterinary help, neighbors are wary, animal control will take her, etc. I hope I'm not presented with that choice again, but I would like to find a coy-dog mix that would sidestep the problems of a pure coyote. Also, I only had one reference point, just one coyote to personally learn from. The next one could be much different in temperament. I'm convinced that she was so good primarily because she was raised by us from only two days old. Being a female may have helped too. She met lots of animals and lots of people during her stay and was not dangerous. She made friends with several domestic dogs and completely trusted them. If it wasn't for the above mentioned problems she would still be here living with us, and I wish she was.

The problem of how to remove her from the dangers she faced here and assure a good future for her was a difficult one. Those problems would still exist if another one came along. Finding Southwest Wildlife and making an arrangement with them was wonderful.

I do not want to go through all that drama again knowing the same problems would lead to the same outcome, or worse. The next dog must have the potential to be a keeper and I have learned enough from Sandy to satisfy my curiosity. Of course, we will always miss her. I keep posing the question "what is the difference between a coyote and a domestic dog?" and, so far, I have never gotten a satisfactory answer. Probably, with only a few generations of selective breeding, we could have very viable domestic coyotes. Who knows? Japanese Akitas are an interesting example of dogs that are fearless and independent. Only tolerant to a certain degree, in some cases. But they are revered family dogs too. Sandy had the same kind of independent streak, but was not dangerous or aggressive. My daughter has two pit-bulls. They can be loving dogs, but I wouldn't trust them any further than I could throw them. They seem very primal, territorial and protective of their interests. I'm always afraid one of them will kill Gogo when we visit and a minor skirmish one day resulted in one of them getting a huge gash in her side. A canyon you could look down into! Yikes. Just another afternoon conversation between them. They cannot be let out into the yard at the same time and if the front door gets left open they are instantly blocks away, just for the fun of it. These are dogs with a proven history of killing people, but they are tolerated by society. But don't even think about being nice to a coyote! No way! Not acceptable! Against the law! Must be put down immediately! It violates nature! They are mindless killers! They'll turn on you one day and rip your neck out! (actual prediction found here in this thread). Shoot them!!!!

/ Found a coyote, I think #753  
John, you know my thoughts about coy dogs. At least from my one very long lived data point. If I could ever find another one, I would do it in a heartbeat. Good luck.

John, you know my thoughts about coy dogs. At least from my one very long lived data point. If I could ever find another one, I would do it in a heartbeat. Good luck.

Yep. Coy dogs are a different story. Still looking. Maybe one of us will find two and we'll both be set!

Does anyone know a way to save this entire thread to either a thumb drive or to the hard drive on a Mac?

I have lots of the pages saved, but not all the pages in one place. Copying each comment is way too much.

Thanks, John

/ Found a coyote, I think #758  
Does anyone know a way to save this entire thread to either a thumb drive or to the hard drive on a Mac?

I have lots of the pages saved, but not all the pages in one place. Copying each comment is way too much.

Thanks, John
John, I don't. but PM Muhammad and see if he can help you.

Good idea. Thanks.