Found a great use for pallet forks

/ Found a great use for pallet forks #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
For the last couple of weeks I've been using my pallet forks a lot to unload stuff from my trailer. They have bee great for picking up thing, but also hanging a chain from to lift awkward items.

The other day when I was driving home, I saw a couple of stumps on my place from the road that have been sitting there for over a year. I tried to pick them up with my grapple, but couldn't ever get a good grip on them. Too round, too big, and too heavy. So I got to wondering if the pallet forks would slide under them and pick them up. They did!!!!!

To some, this might seem silly. But for me, it was an AH HA moment. I just wish I would of though of using them years ago. There is a point when a stump becomes a big challenge to get to the burn pile. The pallet forks are game changers!!!

306955442_10228921204997570_4462342779517709122_n.jpg

312865160_10228921204237551_2631558178526299622_n.jpg

/ Found a great use for pallet forks #3  
Forks are super handy in lots of situations. People who don't have them tend to think they are only for moving pallets. I don't own a set but I borrow my neighbor's all the time. Seldom for moving a pallet.

/ Found a great use for pallet forks #4  
Just watch out for overloading. Years ago, a crew was clearing ROW for running new power line down the road and I was getting more logs than I knew what to do with!

One log was way too heavy (30"x 12' IIRC) and twisted the mount on the tractor. I ended up cutting the cross tube and rewelding it to realign the two sides, but it was a mistake I should have avoided.

Root balls can be very heavy and unbalanced. Also watch your tires, front wheel ag tires don't have the load rating to match loader lift ability.

Ken

/ Found a great use for pallet forks #5  
I’ve seen TBN member Sawyer Rob post similar experiences. As somebody else mentioned though, use care not to do any damage. I destroyed the backing plate for my el cheapo Titan forks…

But anything will break or bend if used improperly.

/ Found a great use for pallet forks #8  
I've started doing this for stumps too, Eddie. Plus, boulders! Sure, my grapple can grab a 1000-lb boulder and pick it up, but its dang hard on the thing. Instead, you can just slip the forks under and more easily move it.