Fox or Coyote

/ Fox or Coyote #21  
Some may say it is a coyote others may say a fox but I think it is a chupacabra,, I may be wrong,:ashamed:, but I'm pretty sure.:confused: Maybe. :laughing:..so keep the women and small children in the house,:D, because chupacabra will eat a fox and coyote in one setting,:shocked:, I been told.:confused3:. good luck,:thumbsup:, Lou

/ Fox or Coyote #22  
Some may say it is a coyote others may say a fox but I think it is a chupacabra,, I may be wrong,:ashamed:, but I'm pretty sure.:confused: Maybe. :laughing:..so keep the women and small children in the house,:D, because chupacabra will eat a fox and coyote in one setting,:shocked:, I been told.:confused3:. good luck,:thumbsup:, Lou

chupacabra.jpg Lou may be right. ;)

/ Fox or Coyote #24  
Grays are bigger than reds, and those bushy tails vary from animal to animal. My BIL has a fresh gray & a 'yote sxs on stretchers in his shop, and uninformed observers have said "got 2, eh?" Not always easy to distinguish grays from 'yotes, even by amount of lighter fur on underparts, when viewing from afar and/or above. IMO what's for sure is that without a reference of scale DFB is showing us the distance at which proper distinction becomes blurred.

That said, red highlights most noticeable in the quartering-away shot say 'gray all the way'. You don't always notice at first look which it is in the crosshairs (gf/y), depending on light or optic power. At arms-length there would be no confusion ...

A few years back we were all talking about 'wolyotes' over at 'Ammoguide'. They're a hybrid verified by DNA from Ontario & upper NY state in recent years. btw: "you never stand so tall as when you stoop to stomp a varmint" ;)

/ Fox or Coyote #26  
I may as well share what happened to me recently. (just a month or so ago). I was taking the trash out, when out of the corner of my eye I saw something running in the back yard. It was a BIG red fox, and my little black Schnauzer was in chase about 10 feet behind. (and he is a little killer let me tell you) Anyway, I was scared that he was going to catch that Fox and they would be a big fur-ball of a fight. I started screaming at my dog like i meant business and he knew it because he aborted the chase and started running to me. Well, that **** fox saw him turn towards me and he turned around and started chasing my dog! He bit Briggs on his hock and Briggs let out a yelp. I was running at full speed toward them yelling my full head off. About this time the fox stopped running and started walking toward me looking me right in the eyes. My **** dog high-tailed it to the house. (i think i spooked him with my screams). This fox got to about 10' away and would not back down. I was not about to turn away from him either, so it was a standoff. I was waving my arms and screaming profanity at him and it didn't phase him at all. I honestly thought he was going to lunge at me. I was thinking about how much these **** things remind me of a cat, and didn't know if he would leap in the air or just come at me like a dog. If he stayed low I could kick him in the head with my boot. (of course i probably would have lost my balance from kicking a 90yrd field goal and been on my back so good night Irene!) Anyway, after about 1 minute (which felt like an hour) this **** fox trotted over to a toy cloth Frisbee toy that was laying in the yard. He picked up the Frisbee in his mouth and looked right at me and started growling. Then he proceeded to try and destroy it with his teeth & paws while looking at me. I was like "**** this is one evil fox!" I was sure wishing i had my pistol with me. Then he turned around and slinked back into the treeline.
I checked the dog, and no broken skin. The fox didn't have any froth of the mouth, and didn't seem dis-oriented like rabies. He was just one pissed- no fear fox.
Not long after, I bought myself a nice little Savage .17HMR. :thumbsup:

/ Fox or Coyote #27  
Thank you bigfoot.:drink:. Another testimonial from a believer in the chupacabra,:confused3:, here in southeast texas we pronounce it as Chew la cob la.:thumbsup:. others may call it the devil dog,, big ugly cat,, a horse with no main.:cool:. but remember it knows when you are sleeping,:rolleyes:, it knows if you have been good or bad,:eek:, so be good and stay awake for goodness sake.:thumbsup:. Lou

/ Fox or Coyote #28  
Red foxes are larger than gray foxes.

Not to start a leg-raising match, but I might take issue with you on that, brother. (I bow with respect) Our yrs of shooting and trapping have yet to turn up a red as large as our smallest gray. (Any trappers, NTA members here??) Our printed 'guides' also say urocyon cinereoargenteus (gray) is typically larger than vulpes vulpes (red). We use #1 1/2 or #1 3/4 coil-springs 'til Jan 1 or above 32^ and got this season's first gray in a coon set. No leg-holds out at present due to the cold and sets freezing without glycerine, wax flakes, or buckwheat hulls, but 29 snares are out for tonight over several acres. A fresh inch of snow would help us keep up with traffic on the runs we've set ... (sigh)

/ Fox or Coyote #29  
Coyote

/ Fox or Coyote #30  
Heh, governments and juries establish facts/truth by consensus. Couldn't we just count votes on the specie either way? If so, I'll abstain if/until the canine survives to return this year to be properly dispatched, skinned, and stretched accordingly. A cousin who hunts with a rabbit squealer for 'whenever' (read slow day) called a 'yote' in to his ML during the last deer 'week' in Dec. It went down at ~40 yd. btw: Max 'speaks the language' of the tantalizing targets and brings 'em in quicker/closer than any of my electric & remote calls ever did.... Oh he did have a fur-spinny decoy out too ...

'Guys' (not gender-specific, btw), they're all in season and I'm not tryng to stir up stuff, just a little fired up & hoping they'll run tonight. These guys don't store fat like coons, if not windy they'll move a plenty when it's cold to stay fed/warm, hopefully along your line. To our fur buyers here in MI a canine is usually worth 2-3 coons unless the latter stretches to ~4' or more, or a red is heavily 'checkered'. The last coyote I shot looked like a gray when I aimed (75 yd, 6x), but in haste the impression might have been influenced by the daylight opportunity when I'd regularly spot reds or greys. (naked eye at 40 yd beats OP's cam at 100?) I just don't see coons or coyotes on my lawn at 9:30 AM. This was a first, and I didn't know 'til I gathered him up.

Bonus BS: Be prepared for fleas to jump out once your kill has cooled and they detect warmth. Recognize mange (mites under skin) by that odd smell dogs can have with open sores. I've shot stinky reds that had rubbed 1/2 or more of their fur off scratching their itchies and were within a few days of freezing to death. I pro'ly do 'em a favor that way, but a pelt with that sick-ish smell won't sell.