Framing nail gun questions

/ Framing nail gun questions #41  
Old Thread.....Old Thread

I need round head collated 21* framing nails. My Milwaukee gun can handle up to 3.5" long and .148 diameter. The stores always carry 3" or 3.25" and usually .131 dia. No building codes where I am building in the near future. This is for framing. I found a place online that has 3.5" .148 but out of stock. For those that build in area with codes is the .131 ok? My kit company just said 3.5."
3.25 has been the industry standard for many many years. 0.131 looks like a (smaller diam) box nail rather than a common nail. The difference will be in the shear value of the fastener. But both could be used for framing.

/ Framing nail gun questions #43  
I quit using my senco nail gun and went to screws as
they hold and the nails come out very easy. I use 3"
deck screws for framing. With the wood today nails
don't hold very good. I like the Senco 3" staple gun
a lot better than nails they hold better and you get a
lot more staples for the money.
The difference in price/quantity:
2500 2 inch frame nail $57.99 Senaco at Amazon
10000 2 inch gal staple $125.38 Senco at Amazon
$231 more for the same amount of nails
Don't take my word that staples hold better put a
nail in a board and a staple see which one is easy
to remove

willy

/ Framing nail gun questions #44  
DieselScout80

Have you tried Amazon???

willy

/ Framing nail gun questions #45  
No help on the nails, but I'm curious what the reason for 3 1/2 inch nails is? Do you need to use them for the entire kit? or just in certain areas? I have a box of 3 1/2 inch galvanized nails that I use for sill pressure treated sill plates and framing studs that I hammer in one at a time.
I personally want to use them for fence rails.

/ Framing nail gun questions #46  
3.25 has been the industry standard for many many years. 0.131 looks like a (smaller diam) box nail rather than a common nail. The difference will be in the shear value of the fastener. But both could be used for framing.
Well that's what I wondered. That gave me an idea to holler at this towns code guy at city hall to see what this small town has for code. Like I said, 100+ miles away where I'm building there are no codes. I did some carpentry back around 80-81 and everything was hand nailed with 16 penny for framing.

/ Framing nail gun questions #47  
what the reason for 3 1/2 inch nails is? Do you need to use them for the entire kit? or just in certain areas?
I'll ask him next time I talk. They do produce kits with an engineers stamp on them if needed for wherever the buyer is building. I have other nail sizes in some areas. The timber frame part they supply all the screws.

/ Framing nail gun questions #48  
When I was a young man before nail guns and battery powered anything. We used to pound a 50# box of 16 sinkers a day, each one of us.
2 licks a nail, set and sink. Set and sink. You held the long framing hammer handle by just 2 or 3 fingers on the end to get the most speed into the swing.

/ Framing nail gun questions #49  
I'm with you scootr back in the day we had to nail all micro's together I have a 32 0z. Vaugn Califorina's framer waffle head just for that. Two Wacks send it home. I asked one of my guys to throw a cricket in the other day he went to get the compressor and the air lines buy the time he came back I had it finished.
Talk about holding power try to pull a nail from a real 2"x4" balloon framed house. THey were all hand nailed. People now a days buy a compressor and gun to build a chicken coup instead of learning a skill .
My guys always ask me why I still don't work. I say because I'd have to fire 2 -3 of you a holes. 🍻

/ Framing nail gun questions #50  
I personally want to use them for fence rails.
In my experience, all wood that is exposed to the weather, will move and shrink over time. Nails will become loose fairly quickly. For decks and fences, I will only use screws. For added holding power, there are some structural screws that are very impressive, but also kind of pricy unless you really need the extra strength in critical areas. https://www.lowes.com/pd/FastenMast...erior-Structural-Wood-Screws-50-Count/3294886

I've also bought some small galvanized washers and used them with normal 3 inch and 4 inch deck screws with great results.

For the wood 3 rail fences that I've built, I use three 4 inch deck screws per post with very good results. For privacy fences, I use the same 4 inch screws for all the framing, and then either the 1 5/8" deck screws, or even better, Hardie 1 5/8" cement board screws. The Hardie Screws are thicker then anything else out there with a larger head for more holding power. They are the best of the best that I've been able to find at the Box Stores!!

In every job that I've been hired to fix a fence that was coming apart, they where built with nails.