Framtrac 555 brae boot

/ Framtrac 555 brae boot #1  

Georgiaguy

Tractor
Framtrac 555
Hey folks
I have Farmtrac 555 with brake(rubber) rubber/vinyl boots on the actuator shafts and into the wheel hubs. Boots are held in place around actuator shaft with a heavy wire clip around the shaft --- on the hub side is a plate that holds the flat side of the boot to the hub with two bolts. The purpose of the boot is to seal the hub opening around brake actuator shaft and prevent leakage of hydraulic fluid from wet brake system.
These boot are rubber/vinyl and deteriorate with age and leak and must be replaced. I have obtained a replacement boot. Replace the boot is more difficult task. The boot is one round piece the goes around the shaft --- it must fitted over one end of actuator shaft --- both ends of the shaft are attached and disconnecting the hub side involves removal of rear tire, outer and inner hub and brake assembly ---- not an easy or simple task. The other end of the shaft is attached to a support bracket held by two large bolts into the center gear casing.

Initially, I thought it would be and easy fix --- undo the two bolts holding inside support on the actuator shaft and slip the new boot over the shaft and secure it ----- but the bolts attaching shaft support are so tight -- penetrating oil/impact wrench/heat --- does not help loosen them. The bolts are large and into the cast iron center gear box.

Does anyone now to replace the boot without having to remove the wheel/outside hub and brake disc? Any thoughts are appreciated.

/ Framtrac 555 brae boot
Don't think it can be done.
Gary

Hi Gary, Thanks for the reply, I Was able to apply some shade tree mechanic ingenuity and fashioned a repair that works, (for now anyway I have no idea for how long)
But it has been working fine for a little over 2 weeks. No leaks and no problems that I can detect. At this point, I have saved a lot of repair cost and time.
But.thanks for your reply. Ron

/ Framtrac 555 brae boot #4  
Removing those two bolts at the gear box is how I replaced mine...
Did you try using an impact on those 2 bolts?

/ Framtrac 555 brae boot
Removing those two bolts at the gear box is how I replaced mine...
Did you try using an impact on those 2 bolts?

I did try an impact -- they were just too tight did not move even a little bit --- even with several tries --- tried mild heating with torch --- was reluctant to heat too much because there is oil behind those boalts. Tried extended rachet lever arm -- still did not move --- I did not want to twist a bolt off -- that would have been bad --- so turned my attention to "shade tree stuff" --- it is still working good (no leaks)-- and if it fails, then it can be re-done cheaply and quickly --- the biggest cost is replacing the lost Hydraulic fluid and boot.

G'day mate

/ Framtrac 555 brae boot #6  
Georgiaguy, So what was/is your "shade Tree" secret?? I always like to learn sneaky ways to get a job done. Care to share?? Curious TBN'rs want to know. Thanks.

/ Framtrac 555 brae boot
Georgiaguy, So what was/is your "shade Tree" secret?? I always like to learn sneaky ways to get a job done. Care to share?? Curious TBN'rs want to know. Thanks.

Do you have a Farmtrac with a boot problem? TKS

/ Framtrac 555 brae boot
It did not work for long ----