Freezer defrost tip

/ Freezer defrost tip #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
A few years ago I thought I was so smart defrosting the freezer by setting a box fan in front of the open door. Others here had a better idea, suggesting using a heat gun. Tried it, it was better than the fan.

But I have now learned another trick--use compressed air to clear out the melted ice behind the door gasket. Water accumulates there and when frozen doesn't let the seal seal properly. Use the heat gun on the gasket to melt the ice, then use compressed air to blow out most of the water that hides there. Peel back the gasket and finish off with a towel. Our door now seals so well it's hard to pull open if you try to open it right after closing--just like when new.

/ Freezer defrost tip #2  
Hmmmm. I checked my freezer and for whatever reason I don't get water or ice near the door seal. I know if I leave the door open for a couple minuets, then shut it - it creates a vacuum inside. The freezer has some special feature that evacuates the air inside the freezer after the door is closed. This vacuum is so great that it almost moves the freezer next time I open the door. My heat gun gets too hot - so I used the wife's hair dryer. She was not so excited about that - but what the heck, she doesn't use it anymore. I guess the best way is your suggestion of a box fan in front of the open door - pretty sure its the safest also. Defrosting the freezer is one of my most unliked jobs.

/ Freezer defrost tip #3  
Hmmmm. I checked my freezer and for whatever reason I don't get water or ice near the door seal. I know if I leave the door open for a couple minuets, then shut it - it creates a vacuum inside. The freezer has some special feature that evacuates the air inside the freezer after the door is closed. This vacuum is so great that it almost moves the freezer next time I open the door. My heat gun gets too hot - so I used the wife's hair dryer. She was not so excited about that - but what the heck, she doesn't use it anymore. I guess the best way is your suggestion of a box fan in front of the open door - pretty sure its the safest also. Defrosting the freezer is one of my most unliked jobs.

The vacuum is created when the warm air that replaced the cold air when the door was open cooled. After the door was closed, the warm air is cooled rapidly which made the air more dense creating the temporary vacuum. The "vacuum" is worse on upright models than with chest type. When the door on an upright is opened, the heavier cold air "pours" out and is replaced with lighter warmer (and moist) room air. As the warm air cools it "shrinks" in the closed compartment creating a vacuum. Eventually, enough outside air slowly enters around the gaskets and the vacuum diminishes. Some freezers and refrigerators will "wheeze" momentarily while the air is equalizing. This air movement is what causes the frost to accumulate. Warm moist air replaces colder dry air every time the door is opened.

Bill

/ Freezer defrost tip #4  
I just got rid of an old freezer that we had to defrost. I hated it. Now we have an upright frost free and its so easy to find everything.

/ Freezer defrost tip #5  
We had a freezer out side that had gotten rained on. It was full of ice. At first I tried chipping away at it but that was just way to slow. At first I thought that my idea of using an air chisel was crazy but after I got the hang of it I changed my mind. Just short bursts and the ice would disintegrate. I only broke one glass jar by not being careful enough.

The air chisel makes a long tedious job quick and you don't need to thaw anything.

/ Freezer defrost tip #6  
I worked in a factory that had a metallurgy lab and they had a couple upright freezers for testing parts. When the metallurgist decided to defrost the freezer she used a screwdriver. Then she heard a Psssssst. :laughing::laughing:

She went through the very light skin to the freon lines. But then she got a new freezer out of it.

/ Freezer defrost tip #7  
pmsmechanic -

Good grief man - that is the pinnacle of aggressive ice removal. A low-level thermonuclear detonation would remove ice also, ha,ha.

/ Freezer defrost tip #8  
We had our large non-auto defrost upright freezer in the garage. Just moved the freezer to the garage door opening and hosed it out. Worked great and much of the ice came off in large chunks. Dried it with a sponge and then towels. It came out sparkling clean as well.

Now we have a frost-free model. Expensive, but much more convenient.

/ Freezer defrost tip #9  
pmsmechanic -

Good grief man - that is the pinnacle of aggressive ice removal. A low-level thermonuclear detonation would remove ice also, ha,ha.

Right you are. Having spent many years in a research lab, I can testify that some of our genius I.Q. scientists couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time...like the time the intern put a beaker of Mercury in the drying oven...

/ Freezer defrost tip #10  
When the freezer is in bad need of defrost I just drag it out to the deck on a hot day..... no fans, no tools, don't have to worry about the water getting all over the floor ;)