freightliner diesel van

/ freightliner diesel van
:thumbsup:

Had all the right options she wanted.

cd player, cruise, power package, auto, upgraded ac with rear vents.

had at least driver and passanger seat and at least 1 bench , with the capability to remove some benches. turns out in this one, ALL the benches are removeable.

The only other option she would have wanded had we actually spec'd it out and ordered it, would have been a slider side door vs a fold out set, but that wasn't on her list of deal killers.

Had other goodies like running boards, etc.

/ freightliner diesel van #42  
Coincidently, my Sprinter was dropped off this am for service. On July 4 my coolant level light came on and I added about 6-8 oz of water out of a spring water bottle and the light went off. Came back on a few weeks later and again added 10 oz+\- of water. I have not seen or smelled antifreeze in the driveway and have not noticed any change in drivability or fuel mileage. Hope it's something simple and not a head gasket.

/ freightliner diesel van #43  
Coincidently, my Sprinter was dropped off this am for service. On July 4 my coolant level light came on and I added about 6-8 oz of water out of a spring water bottle and the light went off. Came back on a few weeks later and again added 10 oz+\- of water. I have not seen or smelled antifreeze in the driveway and have not noticed any change in drivability or fuel mileage. Hope it's something simple and not a head gasket.

Does it have a EGR? It's a common failure point on the International diesels Ford used.

Also, 2 family members have had the tranny cooler leak on GM vehicles causing cross contamination of coolant and tranny fluid both eventually leading to tranny failure. On the Caddy it was a month later. The Vette was 6 months down the road.

Just some things to check.

Chris

/ freightliner diesel van #44  

had at least driver and passanger seat and at least 1 bench , with the capability to remove some benches. turns out in this one, ALL the benches are removeable.

The only other option she would have wanded had we actually spec'd it out and ordered it, would have been a slider side door vs a fold out set, but that wasn't on her list of deal killers.

The swing doors are less troublesome over the long term than sliders.

/ freightliner diesel van #46  

Sweet ... ;)

Yeah ... that could turn out to be very handy :thumbsup:

I do like the sliding doors ... Can't beat them in a crowded parking lot.

I really don't use mine much though (the refrigerator/freezer and my bunk sit just inside it ... always gives the CBP guys at the border a start when they open it up ... :laughing:)

Pics ... :D

/ freightliner diesel van #47  
Does it have a EGR? It's a common failure point on the International diesels Ford used.

Also, 2 family members have had the tranny cooler leak on GM vehicles causing cross contamination of coolant and tranny fluid both eventually leading to tranny failure. On the Caddy it was a month later. The Vette was 6 months down the road.

Just some things to check.

Chris

Dealer called today and said some coolant hose had to be ordered. Idk what one or where it goes. Hopefully it's a easy fix.

The wife likes the slider door for same reason, near 0 profile to open.

I finally got daytime pics, now to figure out how to attach them from my winphone:)

Might take me a day or so but ill figure it out.

Thanks

Sweet ... ;)

Yeah ... that could turn out to be very handy :thumbsup:

I do like the sliding doors ... Can't beat them in a crowded parking lot.

I really don't use mine much though (the refrigerator/freezer and my bunk sit just inside it ... always gives the CBP guys at the border a start when they open it up ... :laughing:)

Pics ... :D

/ freightliner diesel van #49  
As I understand it, the Cargo Sprinter is only "re-assembled" in South Carolina for tax purposes. Actual production is in Germany. So it's Ze Germans who are responsible for the lousy corrosion protection.

Sprinters arent known to be rust prone here... in fact they come with the biggest load of underbody wax of any other comparable vehicle. Italians sell new vehicles that dont have the rear axle fully covered in paint, the Sprinter/Crafter vans have millimeters of underbody coat over a full paint layer. Or they must have been cutting corners since i worked in the trailer and bodybuilder business untill 2008...

...The hollow space protection and underbody wax is applied after final assembly, probably thats what the South Carolina assembly plant is skipping, compared to the European plant...

/ freightliner diesel van #50  
Sprinters arent known to be rust prone here... in fact they come with the biggest load of underbody wax of any other comparable vehicle. Italians sell new vehicles that dont have the rear axle fully covered in paint, the Sprinter/Crafter vans have millimeters of underbody coat over a full paint layer. Or they must have been cutting corners since i worked in the trailer and bodybuilder business untill 2008...

...The hollow space protection and underbody wax is applied after final assembly, probably thats what the South Carolina assembly plant is skipping, compared to the European plant...

Maybe so.
But if Merc is deliberately skimping on corrosion protection to save a hundred on a vehicle for the NA commercial market... Its really going to bite them in the A if it already hasnt. There are a couple Sprinter passenger models in the area, and they arent suffering the same issues. The passenger models are made in Germany so perhaps there is truth in the lack of wax theory.

When Sprinter launched they sold them in huge numbers because they were something different than the traditional NA style van. Now when I think Sprinter, I think rust! All from seeing just about every one other than brand new suffering from some sort of corrosion.

Its OK for FedEx (probably the largest fleet user, at least here) to spec them without that cavity wax to try and save a few hundred thousand, but when those vehicles get resold after a couple years and are full of rust it really damages the brand.

Unpainted rear axles, drive shafts etc. is pretty common in trucks here now. I was shocked first time I saw it. Still think its cheaping out regardless.