Frequency of lube changes

/ Frequency of lube changes #11  
I did 4 engine oil changes in my JD 750 over the 28 yrs that I had it (Yanmar diesel)
We were changing in older engines a lot for season, some for hours but after the advent of new oil and pulling some samples I never shut anything down for an oil change and in our 4020 was changing 2 or 3x a year,,, our use has dropped but now its every 3 years. It needs make up oil so that is a factor but so much easier not to have to fuss with that messy black crap and barrels of oil, small packages also allow for tailoring to machines.

/ Frequency of lube changes #12  
Yeah, there in cold weather. Doesn't mean it has gotten into the oil. I have never ever changed oil in anything: engine, trans, diff and found milky oil.
Changed the THF in my GC's hydro, 90 hours after a dealer service. Consistency of chocolate milk. A LOT depends on weather conditions, and extreme temperatures. The quality of the oil does make a difference in my experience.

/ Frequency of lube changes #13  
1. It's my understanding that engine oil breaks down over time, regardless of engine operation. That is to say oil should be changed at certain time intervals even if the engine itself hasn't been used much. If true, why does unused engine oil still in the container have an indefinite shelf life (or does it)?

2. Owner's manual for my Farmtrac 27 hp notes that hydro fluid should be changed every 400 hours. While I've owned this unit for 15 years, I only have 350 or so hours in the saddle. That's to say the hydraulic fluid in my tractor is 15 years old. I do plan to change it soon (as other maintenance items are due) but should hydraulic fluid also be changed at certain time intervals, regardless of engine usage?
OEM equipment specs are written for the world to use, in the world's environment, by the world's operators, with the capabilities of such.

I saw a Branson tractor commercial once where a Japanese rice farmer was getting his tractor serviced while up to his step in goo...mud slush...rice paddy makings. No way does any of my equipment operate under those kinds of conditions, nor in the Saraha desert, Nor the North or South poles.........common sense isn't very common....not my origination but thoughtful.

/ Frequency of lube changes #14  
1. It's my understanding that engine oil breaks down over time, regardless of engine operation. That is to say oil should be changed at certain time intervals even if the engine itself hasn't been used much. If true, why does unused engine oil still in the container have an indefinite shelf life (or does it)?

2. Owner's manual for my Farmtrac 27 hp notes that hydro fluid should be changed every 400 hours. While I've owned this unit for 15 years, I only have 350 or so hours in the saddle. That's to say the hydraulic fluid in my tractor is 15 years old. I do plan to change it soon (as other maintenance items are due) but should hydraulic fluid also be changed at certain time intervals, regardless of engine usage?
Hydraulic fluid will not break down unless you get water in it.

/ Frequency of lube changes #15  
That’s not true at all!!! If you don’t know what you’re talking about put a question mark after a statement. That way you appear somewhat sensible… Sure there are no combustion contamination issues, but there are temperature levels and shearing forces to consider, besides moisture concerns and dirt contamination. Sheesh.

/ Frequency of lube changes #17  
If you're really concerned about it, have the oil tested to see if it needs changing. Yes, it can cost more for the test than to change the oil but you only need to do it once to get an idea of it's useful life.

/ Frequency of lube changes #18  
Various labs for $35 give or take… I sent my Amsoil THF away earlier this year with 400 hours on it. Came back “good for continued service” etc. Changed both filters and will try another 400…

/ Frequency of lube changes #19  

I looked up your tractor for tranmission specs and see it is not a hydrostatic. TractorData.com Farmtrac 270DTC tractor transmission information

Ran a Farmall H over a 15 year period mostly moving baled hay. Had a 5 speed manual gearbox. Never changed the hydraulic oil in 15 years. Broke a hose and with this came new fluid. Changed the hydraulic filter every other year, approx. 400 hours of use per year.
On a side note the engine burned a half a quart of oil a day. So only changed the filter once a year. Never had any problems with the tractor with this maintenance schedule. Now sold.