From bad to worse

/ From bad to worse #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
Well a few weeks ago, I was using my little MF1010 for some light work. I haven't used it in a couple months for anything, prior. So as it runs low on fuel I added some and within minutes it starts running like crap. So I figured bad or contaminated fuel.

When I got done, I parked it till I had some time to work on the fuel. I got on it the other day, and pulled the filter, actually had rust on it. There was a lot of crap in the bowl as well. I have changed the fuel filter, about 90hrs ago, so this was surprising. I got another filter today, but the kicker was yesterday, I cleaned the filter (temporary till I got the new one today) and bled the air out of the bowl. But when I went to start it, the key broke off in the ignition :eek:.

Well, I have needed to work on the charging system for a bit, now I have the ign switch in the lock shop for a new key. In the meantime I decided to pull the dash to get access to fix the other issues, but now I cannot get the steering wheel off.

This is a pic of as far as I have gotten. I have a puller but it doesn't fit. I am wondering if it indeed needs a puller? If not then how does it come off?

Tractor wheel.jpg

If it does need one, what do they look like?

Suggestions?

Thanks

/ From bad to worse #2  
I believe it does need a puller to come off. It is a tapered shaft if I recall correctly. I had the key on my Massey get twisted, took it to a lock smith and got a new one made. A key for a 8n ford is the same key.

/ From bad to worse
This darn key didn't even warn me, in fact I was surprised to see it was broken. So now I wait.

/ From bad to worse #4  
You're going to need more than just a puller- that column shaft looks like it's been there since forever.
Start soaking it now with some heavy duty rust penetrant and keep it from exposure to the elements. Many AutoZone and other chain auto places may actually lend out certain tools or rent them depending on franchise, etc. Take a better pic with dimensions of the hub by the shaft to a local store and get a steering wheel puller. I'd be concerned about the contents at the bottom of your fuel tank more than your dash issues. There must be rust/water in there and rust on the filter is not a good sign either. Is it gas or diesel tractor? Either way, you want to find and eliminate the water/rust source now.

/ From bad to worse #5  
You will need a tool something like this.

ww.toolpan.cowm/ATD-Tools-3040--Steering-Wheel-Puller-Set_p_2083.html?gdftrk=gdfV27228_a_7c824_a_7c2023_a_7cATD3040

There should be two or three holes in the wheel. The little indent in the column is for the puller to push off of. Set up the center, then thread in the bolts as far as you can and then tighten up the center. It looks like it will be stubborn.

/ From bad to worse #6  
I agree with the others, looks like might be a problem.

In this COLD weather however you may be able to use one of the PC Cleaner Cans to FREEZE it really cold to try and shrink it some then spray some penetrating oil that is warm onto it. Those cans of Compressed CO2 type (some of the OLD propane tanks) can also output liquid gas to freeze stuff but are more dangerous from fire side of it. (cold causes stuff to shrink and heat to expand.) The Wheel needs to EXPAND and the SHAFT to shrink.

On one particular fitment issues I ended up using both to break a tapered shaft loose. I had already pulled and stretched the wheel puller on that particular shaft & pulley.

HEAT the wheel on the outside Heat Gun or torch & spray w penetrating oil then hit the shaft with the cool stuff.

(NOTE: a great penetrating oil is about 50% ATF and Lacquer Thinner or Xylonole... )

mark

/ From bad to worse
Great ideas, and I agree on some fuel issues that NEED to be cleared up. Getting the dash off is necessary to remove and clean the tank so one step at a time. It's a diesel.

On a good note, I couldn't find a new switch, but a local lock smith has repaired my switch and made some new keys. I will pick those up today. I didn't see any holes for the standard type puller but will look it over again to make sure.

I have been soaking the thing regular, and unfortunately there has been ZERO weather to keep it out of. I say unfortunately cause it's out 4th season in drought conditions. Less than 2" rain here this year, and normal is about 18". A few years back we had back to back seasons with 33 and 40". All the ponds, some several acres, are dried up. Those are my neighbors, mine is tiny. Folks are having water trucked in, but we are fortunate in that our well hit a nice vein of underground water. The well is 400ft deep, but hit the water at 360, and static level came to 60'. That was at the end of a previous 3 year drought, and then we had those two heavy seasons I mentioned. So far so good on the water.

I will keep ya posted on the wheel removal, and the maintenance following. The guy I bought the tractor from didn't do much on it, so it's catching up with it.

Is there a good way to separate diesel from water in a tank?

/ From bad to worse
OK I looked again, as I suspected, there are no holes for a puller, so I need to try the heat gun and see how that goes. I might have to jury rig up something to get under the wheel and use my puller.

/ From bad to worse #9  
Water is heavier than fuel , it will be on bottom. Does your tank have a way of draining water off of it, be in the bottom some where. You may have to drain off of your fuel line. LUTT

/ From bad to worse #10  
What I have done in the past to remove a steering wheel, when I didnt have a puller. Simply screw the nut back on the shaft, just flush with the top of the shaft, not all the way tight. I place my knees behind the steering wheel and push up on it as hard as i can, I then take one hand and pull on the top of the steering wheel and wack the nut with a brass or shot filled plastic hammer. Dont use a steel hammer as the shaft material is very soft and a steel hammer can deform the threads. This usually works more times than it doesnt. Penetrateing oil is your friend. I have also taken a hydraulic bottle jack and a piece of chain hooked to the wheel and just jacked the wheels off. Get the jack pumped up tight over the shaft nut and if the wheel doesnt come off right away, just leave the jack and chain in place with pressure on it overnight.