From mow to snow.

/ From mow to snow. #11  
Now I try make sure Kubota in winter mold...and it is,about 4-5 years ago just over foot snow fall on Halloween. :rolleyes:

/ From mow to snow. #12  
How much damage can, or do, chains cause to an asphalt driveway?
Considerable damage especially if the chains are cleated. I put sheets of OSB on my garage floor to keep the concrete from getting chewed up.

/ From mow to snow. #13  
I'm done mowing for the year. I love it for a while, but it becomes a chore half way through summer.

Today I converted the BX2680 to a snow warrior.
Dropped the mower, put on the chains, wheel weights, rops, and the plow.

This too will become a chore sooner than later.

View attachment 768487

View attachment 768484View attachment 768485

I saw the chained tire in your first picture, and thought “that tire is huge!”…….then I focused a bit better….

/ From mow to snow. #14  
I just finished servicing the tractor and rear PTO snow blower for the season. Greased up, adjusted tolerances, ready to go!

I have chains on the RTV tires (it has a Vplow on it), and yes I put down plywood in the garage to pull over. No reason to chip up a good surface.

/ From mow to snow. #15  
I usually leave the mower on for ballast until the first snow and then swap it for the cinder spreader. Dropping the bucket and putting on the FEL plow only takes a couple of minutes.

I can get away with chains on just the front tires. If I loose traction, lifting the plow a bit to add more weight makes the cleated chains dig in better.

View attachment 768560
That's a nice setup. Some day I should by a spreader. We usually have very cold dry winters, but last two years we have gotten lots of wet snow and freezing rain and I ended up having to "sand" (only had 7/8's crushed gravel here) by sprinkling with the loader bucket.

Attachments

• 20200129_091735.jpg
    20200129_091735.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 61
   / From mow to snow. #16  
One of my more usefull purchases was my first sander, had to do a lot of work to that one before the second season with it.
New wear sheet in the floor, new apron chain and rebuild the the rear drive hoop (actually just made a new one).
When it was heading for major work again I could afford a new stainless steel unit.

Loading some coal ash into the new one, the sandpile is under the tarp.
ash 1.jpg

The current setup, the old truck was just getting too unreliable
sander 7.jpg

I get a tandem or triaxle load of salted sand every two-three years, time this year for a load
bunker 9.jpg

/ From mow to snow. #17  
I saw the chained tire in your first picture, and thought “that tire is huge!”…….then I focused a bit better….
Yea, I did the same thing.

/ From mow to snow. #18  
My blower is still in the barn, hoping I don't need to use it for another month or so at least. Will take the box blade off, lower the skid shoes on the blower to get a good base for the first couple snowfalls, and then up the skid shoes. I'm still hoping to get a few more hours on it before the ground freezes.

I did groove my tires though so I am looking to try those out this winter.

/ From mow to snow. #19  
All set here with our equipment. Just waitin on the snow. Tractor and diesel tanks are filled and treated. Just a matter of time, it will come, we will be ready.
Up there west of us in Buffalo NY, man did they get hammered! I heard 77 inches! We`re down in the lower southern tier fingerlakes area, so we didnt get any snow.

Everybody be safe out there!

/ From mow to snow. #20  
How much damage can, or do, chains cause to an asphalt driveway?
On can do serious damage to asphalt (even concrete) with chains.

I use HD 2 link twist ladder chains which cause little damage assuminig common sense.

V-bar and other aggressive chain types can do real damage in short order.