From Stump to Vanity

/ From Stump to Vanity #1  

BrokenTrack

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractors, Skidders, Bulldozers, Forestry Equipment
Last year I noticed, a White Pine that I had worked around forever, had a big wood pecker hole about 20 feet up the tree. This meant bugs were inside, and it was dying. I could see the tree from the house, and for whatever reason, my wife loves single trees silhouetted in the distance, so I hated to cut it down. BUT I hate waste worse, so like all good things, it had reached its end.

So I took the chainsaw and felled the tree. To my surprise it was bigger than I thought, but in pretty decent shape, just one spot was rotted. So I bucked the tree into logs, and then using my tractor and log loader, hauled them up to the sawmill.

It exceeded the capacity of my sawmill, but with a little chainsaw trimming, I converted the tree into quite a few wide white pine, boards.

Then I hauled them down to my barn and let them dry over the winter (somewhat).

With Black Swan here, and nothing to do but stay home, my wife thought our house, with me and her, and four daughters could use a new double vanity in the main bathroom so (2) teenage daughters could use the bathroom at the same time. We have a timber frame house, so rustic works for us, so I used the white pine tree, and its lumber to make a vanity. I plumbed it with old fashioned valves, and now the ole White Pine lives on...as a vanity. I realize this style is not for everyone, but it is kind of neat to see an old tree out back, be a meaningful part of our home, hence the name of this post: From Stump to Vanity.

#1: During a romantic brunch, the tree is in the background.

#2: The tree showing the wood pecker hole in it that shows what is really happening inside.

3#; My wife going to great lengths to protect her tree from the fate of the chainsaw or bulldozer!

#4: The tree is sent to the ground via chainsaw!

#5: It is all the sawmill wants, but it gets the job done, and the tree made into lumber.

#6: The tree now a new vanity in our main bathroom.

/ From Stump to Vanity
Note: Some of the pictures did some weird things when uploaded. I am not sure why.

The first is kind of scrambled, and the second one is turned side ways.

/ From Stump to Vanity #3  
Almost Steven King story but good ending. :thumbsup:

/ From Stump to Vanity #4  
She sure does wear that wedding dress a lot!!! :)

I like the vanity a lot. Are you going to cover the PEX or tuck it away, out of sight?

/ From Stump to Vanity
I like the vanity a lot. Are you going to cover the PEX or tuck it away, out of sight?

Yes, we have since did that, pretty much by putting towels and the like in front of it.

She sure does wear that wedding dress a lot!!! :)

Yes, she is forever in that wedding dress. I think she wants people to think that she is still a virgin! :laughing: