Front Axle Pivot

/ Front Axle Pivot #1  

oldballs

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 , Case 448 , Kubota B2650
Hi TBN'ers

I am doing some more B2620 maintenance. According to the OE manual the Front Axle Pivot screw is suppose to be 11.2 - 22.5 ft lbs..."oscillating load"...whatever that is?? At 600 hours the adjusting screw took several turns to get at approx 16 ft lbs with my Torque Wrench. The tractor was sitting flat on the concrete.

I do not want to get that screw too tight, but rather adjust it per the manual. What is your experience?

Cheers,
Mike

/ Front Axle Pivot #2  
My guess is have the axle off the ground and rock it as you torque it. Does it have zerk fittings to grease it?

/ Front Axle Pivot #3  
that is not the torque of the bolt it is the force it takes to rock the axle when it is off the ground. the bolt should not be tight. My b7800 manual says something along the lines of tighten until snug then loosen an 1/8 of a turn and tighten the lock nut while holding the bolt so it doesn't move.

/ Front Axle Pivot #4  
you should probably lift the front axle off the ground when adjusting but it may not be required.

I would definitely loosen the bolt slightly before you cause too much wear.

/ Front Axle Pivot
Thanks guys............I knew that you would come thru for me. Guess I'll have to raise the front end via the frame and just snug it up while rocking it ..... then back it off 1/8 of a turn. The members of this TBN site are great and helpful folks.

There is no grease zerk at the Pivot Point. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Mike

/ Front Axle Pivot #6  
Thanks guys............I knew that you would come thru for me. Guess I'll have to raise the front end via the frame and just snug it up while rocking it ..... then back it off 1/8 of a turn. The members of this TBN site are great and helpful folks.

There is no grease zerk at the Pivot Point. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Mike

If I remember correctly, I pulled the cap off, drilled it out then tapped for a Zerk so I could grease it.

/ Front Axle Pivot #7  
Maybe you missed this bit in the manual
"Consult your local KUBOTA Dealer for further detail"
Further detail is available in the service manual
Front Axle Rocking Force
1. Jack up the front side of tractor.
2. Set a spring balance to the front axle flange.
3. Measure the front axle rocking force .
NOTE: When adjusting the locking force, apply liquid gasket (Three Bond 1206D or equivalent) to the thread part of an adjusting screw.
4. If the measurement is not within the factory specifications, adjust with the adjusting screw (1).
5. Tighten the lock nut firmly.

Last edited:
   / Front Axle Pivot #8  
Sent you a PM

/ Front Axle Pivot
Gents,

In appreciation of your help, here are some pics for others that might be interested. BTW, It was a good thing that I went thru this procedure, because my first understanding of the torque on the adjusting bolt had the axle locked up tight.:eek:

I used the by guess and by gosh method, since I had no "spring balance". I tightened the adjusting bolt till the axle would not budge, then loosed it up to what I figure was enough.....certainly better than my previous faux pas.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG

Cheers,
Mike

/ Front Axle Pivot #10  
For others contemplating adjusting theirs, a sliding fish scale will do the job.