Front end loader Float?

/ Front end loader Float? #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
I read a lot about "set it in float". I assume that means the loader will rise and fall with the pressure of the ground it is in contact with. Is that correct?

If so, HOW do you set it that way?

I have a Kubota L5740 with an LA854 Loader. The manual says "Move the lever to the "float" position and it will be held there by the detent mechanism". The diagram shows "Float" to be all the way forward.

I've read the manual and, it appears, that float will allow you to set the bucket down and move forward without digging into the ground. I've had no success trying that.

Is it possible that my setup is not correct and I don't have "float"?

What type of test would you conduct to determine if your system has "float"?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

/ Front end loader Float? #2  
On mine, I just push the joystick forward (beyond normally lowering the loader) until it clicks and holds in place.

/ Front end loader Float? #3  
I don't know if all tractors behave this way, but on my Kioti DK45 (with the 451 loader), if the loader bucket is aimed down, even in float it will still dig in. I seldom use float mode... most often for smoothing in reverse (gentle backdragging).

/ Front end loader Float? #4  
The lip of your bucket has to be pointed up slightly above horizontal or it will dig in regardless of whether the loader is in float or not. Uneven terrain can cause digging in while in float also. You may have push pretty hard forward on that joystick to get it to pop into detent. My FIL's loader on the JD 3038E requires a fair amount of force to get into the detent.

You might need to just push harder.

/ Front end loader Float? #5  
Your 5740 indeed has a float position activated as cat fever describes. Floating the bucket in dirt will require precise leveling of the cutting edge otherwise the bucket will either dig in, or ride up. I keep the loader out of float mode when leveling or moving dirt. Back dragging to smooth out and area is a good time to float the bucket. On the rare occasion I use the bucket for snow plowing, I do float the loader with the bucket slightly angled down to scrape snow down to the pavement.

/ Front end loader Float? #6  
Even in float the loader takes time to adjust, speed isn't your friend, at least when plowing snow, as you'll either ride up until you loose steering or dig in and make a hole as the ground changes.

/ Front end loader Float? #7  
Don't use float going forward unless the bucket is rolled back some.

Float will indeed float the hydraulics, but no guarantee the loader will actually float. What I mean by that is the tractor is trying to drive up over the loader. That results in alot of downward pressure.

It's all in the geometry of the loader. And as you raise, the loader is moving away from the tractor. Driving forward tries to push the loader back into the tractor, and as a result, it goes downward and digs deeper.

I assume the issue you are actually experiencing ends with the front wheels in the air and the loader bottomed all the way out.

/ Front end loader Float? #8  
Heavy FEL and soft ground basically useless. If scooping poop up off concrete to clean out your barn, priceless. As stated if you have the float function, it's all the way forward on your joy stick and when you get there your loader will just drift down till it hits the ground and stop.

/ Front end loader Float? #9  
I was trying to think if I've ever successfully used float mode for anything other than backdragging/smoothing in reverse. Nope.

/ Front end loader Float? #10  
never had much luck using float forward,but backwards very seldom need a rake.