FRONT MOUNTED BRUSH CUTTER

/ FRONT MOUNTED BRUSH CUTTER #1  

Shopwright

Tractor
John Deere 1530, Massey-Ferguson 1754
A few pictures of the skid-steer-mount hydraulic brush cutter that I built for use with my Massey Ferguson 1754. It is adequately powered by the 3-point mounted hydraulic power unit with a Prince pump driven by the tractor PTO. I also built this attachment, and the reservoir holds 20 gallons (should be bigger) and there is an oil cooler on the unit. I'll admit the tractor is just a bit light for this application, but the WHACKSTER, a name I have given it, has performed incredibly well so long as the tractor centerline stays approximately perpendicular to banks or hillsides being attacked. In addition to taking down small saplings and heavy brush, it has been very useful in mowing banks by backing out with the front loader valve in float position. The blades are double-sided and can operate in either rotation.

Attachments

• WHACKSTER DECK 1.JPG
    WHACKSTER DECK 1.JPG
    800.3 KB · Views: 174
  • WHACKSTER WELDMENT 2.JPG
    WHACKSTER WELDMENT 2.JPG
    840.4 KB · Views: 168
  • WHACKSTER SIDE 3 .JPG
    WHACKSTER SIDE 3 .JPG
    724 KB · Views: 169
  • WHACKSTER UNDERSIDE 4.JPG
    WHACKSTER UNDERSIDE 4.JPG
    861.2 KB · Views: 177
  • WHACKSTER POWER UNIT 5.JPG
    WHACKSTER POWER UNIT 5.JPG
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 180
  • WHACKSTER FRONT 6.JPG
    WHACKSTER FRONT 6.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 182
   / FRONT MOUNTED BRUSH CUTTER #3  
A few pictures of the skid-steer-mount hydraulic brush cutter that I built for use with my Massey Ferguson 1754. It is adequately powered by the 3-point mounted hydraulic power unit with a Prince pump driven by the tractor PTO. I also built this attachment, and the reservoir holds 20 gallons (should be bigger) and there is an oil cooler on the unit. I'll admit the tractor is just a bit light for this application, but the WHACKSTER, a name I have given it, has performed incredibly well so long as the tractor centerline stays approximately perpendicular to banks or hillsides being attacked. In addition to taking down small saplings and heavy brush, it has been very useful in mowing banks by backing out with the front loader valve in float position. The blades are double-sided and can operate in either rotation.
Very nice. The Wackster looks mean. Great job on the pump setup, why more fluid capacity though?

/ FRONT MOUNTED BRUSH CUTTER
Thanks. The capacity or flow is adequate, but a bigger reservoir would allow the system to run cooler. The 12-volt fan-powered oil cooler can't keep up with the heat load. I just keep an eye on the oil temperature the old-fashioned way by placing my hand on the hoses, an easy reach while running.

/ FRONT MOUNTED BRUSH CUTTER #5  
Do you think you'll add some hose protection? Brush wrecked a gearbox seal on my regular old cutter backing into a pile of vines last fall.

/ FRONT MOUNTED BRUSH CUTTER #6  
Thanks. The capacity or flow is adequate, but a bigger reservoir would allow the system to run cooler. The 12-volt fan-powered oil cooler can't keep up with the heat load. I just keep an eye on the oil temperature the old-fashioned way by placing my hand on the hoses, an easy reach while running.
Agree nice build
Not to ruin your day but reservoirs transmit very little heat vs a bigger heat exchanger. Adding cooling fins to reservoir will help but that also requires air movement to work. I would suggest taking an infrared heat gun and check various points in your circuit to see if possibly one area is creating more heat than others. I have had hose ends not drilled the right diameter or not drilled clear through. Fittings same thing, etc.

/ FRONT MOUNTED BRUSH CUTTER #7  
Front mount is where it should be! Nicely done. (y)

One way to reduce heat build up is to eliminate all of those 90 degree fittings. They generate a surprising amount of heat.

Here's a good read on it.

Do you think you'll add some hose protection? Brush wrecked a gearbox seal on my regular old cutter backing into a pile of vines last fall.
Yes, the original hose guard/motor cover could not be installed due to hose interference. A new design is in process. I agree that guards are necessary.

/ FRONT MOUNTED BRUSH CUTTER #9  
That's a slick build. I want to do the same thing. I'm very interested in your hydraulic issues and how things are finalized.

Agree nice build
Not to ruin your day but reservoirs transmit very little heat vs a bigger heat exchanger. Adding cooling fins to reservoir will help but that also requires air movement to work. I would suggest taking an infrared heat gun and check various points in your circuit to see if possibly one area is creating more heat than others. I have had hose ends not drilled the right diameter or not drilled clear through. Fittings same thing, etc.
Thanks, an excellent article. The very nature of a setup like this, a front-mounted motor powered by a rear-mounted pump involves way too many fittings, some of which are 90 degree and include a number of sets of quick-connect couplers. All of these contribute to pressure drop which translates to heat and I agree, it adds up. As both the cutter and the power unit are attachments or temporarily connected devices, the use of quick connects are unavoidable and the routing of heavy hydraulic hose that must be unrestricted in movement required some 90s.
Agree nice build

That's a slick build. I want to do the same thing. I'm very interested in your hydraulic issues and how things are finalized.
Thanks. A project like this has its unique problems as the power unit and the cutter are both attachments and must be capable of being disconnected. I chose to have a set of hoses that connect the control valve to the power unit remain on the tractor while the lines for cutter stay with the cutter. Other issues involve packing so many components in a designated space and allowing for freedom of movement for the heavy hoses. Correctly, a commenter lamented my use of 90 degree fittings as each fitting creates a pressure drop which translates to heat. i chose to use one-inch hydraulic hose which is not very flexible and the use of 90-degree fittings often becomes unavoidable. It has been several years since I built this and it has worked extremely well with zero problems. I would be pleased to answer any questions and I do not claim qualified engineering expertise--I just read the performance tables like everybody else does. Keep in mind a rotary cutter takes a lot of power and the Prince pump is rated at 21 GPM.

Attachments

• whackster valve.jpg
    whackster valve.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Power unit.jpg
    Power unit.jpg
    927.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Road 1.jpg
    Road 1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 92