Front snow blade, worried about tractor damage

/ Front snow blade, worried about tractor damage #1  

dwalk19

Gold Member
Tractor
2018 LS XG3140H TLB
Hey guys, i know lots of people use front blades for snow removal, i'm considering buying one for my Ls xg3140, anyone ever have issues with springing or getting their loaders tweaked, my driveway is river run stone/dirt so its by no means smooth and is humped in middle where vehicles don't drive. At some point i need to top it with gravel, but dont have the funds right now (600'), i'm concerened with catching the rocks that stick up and messing up my loader somehow, the tractor is brand new, i think i would try the pipe on front and back blade to minimize snagging rocks, any input would ve greatly appreciated, thanks

/ Front snow blade, worried about tractor damage #2  
The front end loaders are not ment to be used for plows they are a light materials digging and lifting attachment for the tractor.

Loader frames will get damaged meaning wracked and twisted because the loader arms are not heavily reinforced nor do that have thick steel weldments and steel plating.

Short of welding long metal skis on the plows or buying the ones available in the market place I would not recommend it as the amount of time to repair would be very costly repair.

/ Front snow blade, worried about tractor damage #3  
The pipe over the cutting edges is a good idea. I have the same type of conditions as you and putting a piece of schedule 80 PVC on my ATV plow made a world of difference. Trying to plow with the cutting edge was a disaster waiting to happen.

/ Front snow blade, worried about tractor damage #4  
If you have a trip mechanism like pickup truck plows, if you hit something like a frozen down rock, the plow will trip over it and spring back up. Also, castering guage wheels instead of skids do wonders. I have a small machine with a solid mount plow on the FEL and gauge wheels. If I had a larger machine, I'd definately want a trip mechanism.

/ Front snow blade, worried about tractor damage #5  
Yes I have a front blade and no you won’t damage your machine or loader frame.......if you buy a “real” blade.

Good snow plows have trip springs and come with or you can add a cross over relief valve.

Your tractor is low speed compared to most plow operations. Those guys don’t do damage and you won’t either.

/ Front snow blade, worried about tractor damage
Okay so as long as i look for a plow with trip springs & and a crossover if possible sounds like the best best, what plows do you guys use, i suppose i could build one, but need to do some research and see what they cost new

/ Front snow blade, worried about tractor damage #7  
I would use the PVC this year to be safe. In the spring/summer get those big rocks out of the road and regrade it with a BB or rear blade. I guess it would be helpful to know how big the rocks are, and how far they stick out of the road.

/ Front snow blade, worried about tractor damage
I have a box blade but its just hard packed river run we call around here, really not even re-gradeable, it makes a great base, but is super hard and has 3-6" rocks scattered through out with hard pack sand/dirt,, i just need to bite the bullet sometime and get gravel on it sometime

/ Front snow blade, worried about tractor damage #10  
Okay so as long as i look for a plow with trip springs & and a crossover if possible sounds like the best best, what plows do you guys use, i suppose i could build one, but need to do some research and see what they cost new

Front blade/plow trip - YouTube

I added a cross over relief valve but it hasn’t “relieved” that I know of.

Before you get too deep into this. Does your ground stay frozen all winter or you you have freeze thaw all winter? Note my place stays frozen all winter leaving a layer of ice/snow on the ground. If that’s the case the front blade is great. If you thaw out all the time you will need something a little different that takes the loader frame weight off the blade edge/ground or a rear blade may be a better bet.