Front tire chains on 2720

/ Front tire chains on 2720 #1  

jgayman

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 2720
I'm preparing my new 2720 for winter use with the blower. I have a steep gravel driveway and have always needed chains on my previous tractors. My intention was to use chains on all four wheels. Although once the tractor was delivered I was disappointed to see that the clearance of the tie rod ends on the front tires was so close that running chains was impossible. I was browsing through the JD parts system a week ago and noticed they listed a special spacer for the front wheels. The description mentioned "for use with chains". Whooo hooo, this is exactly what I was looking for. So I ordered a pair and installed them this afternoon. I removed the front tires and had them filled with Rim Guard at the same time.

Below are some photos showing the before and after, along with photos of the spacer installation. I cut the head off a 14mm bolt to use as a guide pin for installing the heavy wheels. I intend to make a 12mm two pin set for the rear as well. The spacer requires the use of longer (14mm x 50mm) bolts which I ordered from John Deere when I ordered the spacers.

Ther spacers are P/N LVU12475 and the bolts are P/N LVU13274

The photos below show the hub with and without the spacer, the old and new bolts, and the before and after tie rod clearance.

I hope this is helpful to anyone else wanting to run front chains on their 2x20 tractor.

hub.jpg Spacer2.jpg Bolts.jpg

Narrow.jpg New_Clearance.jpg New_Clearance2.jpg

/ Front tire chains on 2720 #2  
Yea I was disappointed myself with the spacing. Thank you for the post.

/ Front tire chains on 2720 #3  
Curious what those spacers cost? Also, does JD offer those for the 3320?

/ Front tire chains on 2720
Curious what those spacers cost? Also, does JD offer those for the 3320?

Oh sure, you would have to go there! $110 each. Still not sure why JD used such a precious metal when steel would have sufficed. :thumbdown:

/ Front tire chains on 2720 #5  
Oh sure, you would have to go there! $110 each. Still not sure why JD used such a precious metal when steel would have sufficed. :thumbdown:

LOL....OK....thanks for the price. (actually I figured it would be worse!)

I don't see a similar item listed for the 3320. For the 2x20 they were in the illustrated parts list for the front wheels.

/ Front tire chains on 2720 #7  
Gemplers has "repair disks" for all bolt patterns, $46 each for the JD 6 bolt pattern, but only 1/4" plate.

Ironwood

What is a repair disk normally used for? The 2720 front wheels uses a 4-bolt attachment.