Front Wheel Drive Gear Replacement

podagrower

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC 40
Okay, I made a great buy on my used TC40:D becouse it needed some repairs/maintenance. I've fixed and replaced most of the problems and only have one thing left...one big thing
The previous owner broke the front pinion gear:eek: . I have the two axle shafts and differential in the garage and have just been using the tractor as a 2wd.
The parts I can get from Messick's for about $600.
The question is, how difficult a job is it to replace the dif? I have changed transmissions and transfer cases on trucks but never gears, I was afraid of setting backlash wrong and burning up gears.
Has anyone done this (or similar) job before.
Thanks for the laughs, thanks for the help.

erosol

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC29D
It's not that difficult. Check the backlash before taking it about, then set it back to that. You will always save lots of money doing it yourself. Good luck.

AndyMA

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 2120 , Kubota MX5200 , Deere X748SE. 1956 Economy Tractor
I'm assuming you're replacing the ring and pinion as a set. You need to. When I had to replace them years ago in my 2120 a dealer (not my regular one) did it for $1600. They lasted less than a week because they weren't set up right. New ones have lasted over 10 years. It is a very percise thing to do to get thespacers correct so that the mating surfaces are right on.

Andy