Fuel can is hard to handle!!!

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #21  
I must admit that I like to use Army surplus Jerry Cans. And, for my personal convention, if it is in a Jerry can, then it is either Diesel or Biodiesel.

Make sure you find a "Diesel" flexible spout for them.

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #22  
Thanks everyone for the EZ-POUR idea. A local hardware store here sells them. I was afraid to purchase it because I figured maybe size or different threading then they would not fit. With your pictures though I see they will. Just lost the cap to one of my 5 gallon diesel fuel cans. Thanks again.

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #24  
I built this with some copper tube, an outboard priming bulb, and a ball valve. Close the valve, squeeze the bulb until fuel flows into the tank then open the valve and wait three minutes til the can is empty. Works like a charm.

DSC00224.jpgDSC00895.jpg

Sean

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #25  
I take the nozzle off and use a funnel. I suppose some of you fellas aren't strong enough to lift the can and dump it in a funnel though

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #27  
I take the nozzle off and use a funnel. I suppose some of you fellas aren't strong enough to lift the can and dump it in a funnel though

Plenty strong, here, just hurt like the blazes for a year after a rotator cuff injury.

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #28  
I guess everyone has their own techniques, but I just don't have any trouble with the restricted flow spouts. I don't "hold" the can over the fuel spout. I set the can on it's side on top of a towel on the hood to not scratch the paint , with the spout pointing at the fuel filler hole. Now you can hold the spout open by pressing the lever with very moderate hand pressure. When the can has drained down to the point where the fuel has stopped coming out due to being lower than the opening, then upend the fuel can with one hand holding the spout open and the other hand supporting the can, which by now weighs very little because it is nearly empty. If I tried to hold a 40 lb. can over the fuel filler neck, at about head high, yes I can see that as being a big problem. Especially at my age, and level of strength. But all I have to do is lift it up there, and I make that easier by first lifting the can onto the front tire, then grasp it so it is oriented to lay on its side with the spout pointing down, and lift it to the loader arm. then making sure my soft towel is positioned on the hood correctly go ahead and set it on the towel on the hood in the correct position to empty into the fuel filler neck.. I never spill a drop, and it is absolutely no strain on me at all. Sure I have to lift 40 lbs about head high but it is just for a second. I hope this dissertation helps some of you, or maybe you will think I am crazy. Either way, it works for me! Oh, I did remove the "safety" off of the Blitz lever type of fuel spout, as a convenience to me in case I let go of the lever for a second to pick my nose or something, I did not have to push in the stupid little safety lever each time.:) I have thought about putting in the tire valve to make the emptying go a little faster but it is so easy to just hold the lever and watch it drain, I haven't bothered to do it yet.

James K0UA

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #29  
I put the can on the hood, stick a 3' piece of garden hose from can to tank. Then put in a 1' piece of 1/4" tubing just inside the spout opening. Wrap a plastic shopping bag around hoses and spout, and blow into the 1/4" tube. Empties the can pretty quick. Reminds me of my teenage siphoning days.

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #30  
I agree with Bruce. The NO-Spill cans are great. They cost a little more but they are definitely worth it. I use them for filling the lawn mower/chainsaw/weed eater. You can controll the flow so you don't get the fuel all over the engine/equipment.