Fuel prices around the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Fuel prices around the world. #21  
Plenty of fuel now priced $4 and higher...

Only a few weeks back it was under $3...

That is a 33% increase since December... sobering.
Prices have been up or down 50 - 75 cents so often over the last 20 years, I haven't really paid attention.

/ Fuel prices around the world. #22  
Fuel cost in '07-08 pretty much put me out of business, I had a small towing and hauling company and when diesel hit $5gal and stayed there for a bit it was brutal. Non of the contracts I had would give enough of a fuel surcharge to compensate. About 50% plus of my gross was going to fuel.

Also didn't help that I was competing with of bunch of people that were illegal, just bought a pickup and trailer and started operating without all the expenses that come with trucking legit.

/ Fuel prices around the world. #23  
One thing that kinda gets me is if I mention something, someone says where's the source? If I post a link to a source, they say anyone can post links.

Google why fuel prices are currently rising. The first 10 links will show the same thing I posted.

/ Fuel prices around the world. #24  
Here's a chart of inflation adjusted gas prices going back to 1918. It shows the price of gas today is actually cheaper than in 1918 after inflation is factored out. It's also below the average price of all the years since then. Plus, since back in 1918 we spent a lot more of our incomes on other things like food and gas money was harder to come by.

Some people think prices rise or fall because something happened to cause it. In looking at the chart, however, we can see the price of gas was already too cheap by historical numbers and was pumped for a spike.

Should the price of gas rise to the upper bands, one could then make a prediction that the price was likely to fall and be right more often than not.

Attachments

• Inflation-Adjusted-Gasoline-Price-Feb-2020.png
    Inflation-Adjusted-Gasoline-Price-Feb-2020.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
   / Fuel prices around the world. #25  
Fuel cost in '07-08 pretty much put me out of business, I had a small towing and hauling company and when diesel hit $5gal and stayed there for a bit it was brutal. Non of the contracts I had would give enough of a fuel surcharge to compensate. About 50% plus of my gross was going to fuel.

Also didn't help that I was competing with of bunch of people that were illegal, just bought a pickup and trailer and started operating without all the expenses that come with trucking legit.

Man that sucks. I am in a similar situation. I think a lot of folks don’t understand what a 30-100% increase in fuel prices does to their fellow Americans who operate machinery to put food on the table.
I just sold a piece of machinery back in October and the shipper who picked it up for the buyer was very shady. No DOT numbers and was to be paid in cash. His truck looked unsafe.
How am I supposed to compete with that when someone wants me to move a machine for them as a legal business?

/ Fuel prices around the world. #26  
Here's a chart of inflation adjusted gas prices going back to 1918. It shows the price of gas today is actually cheaper than in 1918 after inflation is factored out. It's also below the average price of all the years since then. So it's OK. Even better since back in 1918 we spent a lot more of our incomes on other things like food and gas money was harder to come by.

Some people think prices rise or fall because something happened to cause it. In looking at the chart, however, we can see the price of gas was already too cheap by historical numbers and was pumped for a spike.

Should the price of gas rise to the upper bands, one could then make a prediction that the price was likely to fall and be right more often than not.
Post all your charts you want, a sudden 30% or more jump in fuel cannot be absorbed as easily as you think.
Most of it comes in the form of making small business owners poorer.
It doesn’t keep up with inflation??? So what? It’s still a rising cost!
If we all thought that way we’d have no money left. I’m sorry but that’s a losers mentality.

Last edited:
   / Fuel prices around the world. #27  
One thing that kinda gets me is if I mention something, someone says where's the source? If I post a link to a source, they say anyone can post links.

Google why fuel prices are currently rising. The first 10 links will show the same thing I posted.
”Sources” can be manipulated one way or another. And 90% of them appear to be.
However, the bill you receive for monthly fuel expenditures cannot. When someone’s fuel bill goes from $1000 to $1350, no “sources” or charts or links matter.
Multiply that by 12 and you are $4,000 per year and that comes right out of someones gross income.

/ Fuel prices around the world. #28  
Man that sucks. I am in a similar situation. I think a lot of folks don’t understand what a 30-100% increase in fuel prices does to their fellow Americans who operate machinery to put food on the table.
I just sold a piece of machinery back in October and the shipper who picked it up for the buyer was very shady. No DOT numbers and was to be paid in cash. His truck looked unsafe.
How am I supposed to compete with that when someone wants me to move a machine for them as a legal business?
I absolutely understand what an increase in fuel prices can do to someone with a business that relies on fuel. You have to pass the cost on to the customer, the customer can't afford it or won't pay, etc... and down goes your profit margin. If it gets to the point you're not making enough to cover operating expenses, you're done. I do understand that. I worked at a newspaper for 30 years. Our biggest expense besides people was newsprint. The prices fluctuated wildly, and similarly to fuel and refineries, paper mills would go off-line for various reasons like supply of timber, or glut of paper on the market, international trade wars, trucker strikes.... if we passed the cost on to the customer, they'd stop buying the product. Some years there was no profit. Well, you know the shape of the newspaper industry today. Going, going, almost gone.

Good luck to you.

/ Fuel prices around the world. #29  
Good post Moss. (y) Previous posts by you on the topic seem to be rather cold to the people who use fossil fuels to provide service. Kind of a “that’s just the way it is, suck it up, here’s the chart” kind of vibe.

Lots of small-medium size business owners out there that cannot pass the cost on. With the virus they now have new, more costly challenges to deal with on top of higher fuel costs.

Its difficult to explain to some salaried employees what rising costs do to the self employed.

/ Fuel prices around the world. #30  
My neighbor depends on fuel as he has a large excavating business. Normally, he takes time off in the winter but he didn't this year. He is booked solid for jobs and working 14hr days. My cousin owns a big equipment rental business and he has been doing very good the last 12 months. Both of them will pass fuel costs to the customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.