Oil & Fuel fuel tank finally dug up

/ fuel tank finally dug up #12  
RobJ said:
Think I'd dig a big hole and bury it!! :)

Um.. I think he just dug it up!!

At the current cost of steel, I would call a local scrap scrounger. Those guys will haul darn near *anything* off, the heavier the better, no questions asked. Environmental enforcement is a tad lax here in Bubbaland, YMMV.

RDnT

/ fuel tank finally dug up #13  
rdsaustintx said:
Um.. I think he just dug it up!!

At the current cost of steel, I would call a local scrap scrounger. Those guys will haul darn near *anything* off, the heavier the better, no questions asked. Environmental enforcement is a tad lax here in Bubbaland, YMMV.

RDnT

Exactly my point. Now what do you do with it. People say you can't cut it safely, potential hazzards inside, could be rusted\contimanated beyond scrap use. Not to mention with our sue happy society if you sell the property with a known chemical problem, and you didn't disclose it...someone might smell a lawsuit.

Just because you have a back-hoe or tool to dig something up doesn't always mean the problem is solved. Sometimes the REAL problem has just begun. JMHO.

/ fuel tank finally dug up #14  
Years ago, we were cleaning up a farm site. We had a dozer guy come in and dig a huge trench for all the junk to be buried. Filling the trench up before we were half done, Dad suggested we burn the trench to gain some space, so we did.

We knew there was a 55 gallon drum with fuild in it, but we didn't know what it was. I think it was 20 yr old gasoline! We all stood way back, as this barrel was sizzling.

Finally, KAAAAAAAAAAAABBBOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM. The top of the barrel blew in the air probably 100ft!

I don't know anything to suggest to you about your tank, other than to have some pro come dispose of it.

I think if I were doing it though, I'd leave it above ground, let it "age" so it might look like it's been above ground forever. And cover/pack the spot it came out of and plant grass there, so the site remains hidden. YMMV.

Ron

/ fuel tank finally dug up #15  
I'm glad you were able to get it out of the ground safely. If there is a next time, remember that the backhoe bucket cutting into the steel tank can (and often does) cause sparks. Those sparks in turn could ignite the fumes inside the tank.

/ fuel tank finally dug up #16  
I dug our 300 gallon gas tank out after 20 years. No leaks were found. I called our local Farm Service and they came out and picked it up for no charge. I buy diesel from them though.

/ fuel tank finally dug up #18  
tlsmith85 said:
I'm glad you were able to get it out of the ground safely. If there is a next time, remember that the backhoe bucket cutting into the steel tank can (and often does) cause sparks. Those sparks in turn could ignite the fumes inside the tank.

He got lucky

/ fuel tank finally dug up #19  
Some places - like blue states - have this thing about people digging up petro tanks... and the idea that if you get petrol in the soil you need to have it all "re-mediated"...
I like the idea of letting it sit out and get the weathered look somewhere before you call in the "pros"... then you can say - "gee it's always been there"...
I think you might have some issues with those laws and the gaping hole in the side.... I could be way off base though.