Fuel tank issue

/ Fuel tank issue #11  
I am of the belief that plastic cannot be successfully repairs, especially a fuel tank. If you really have to take a lot apart to get to the fuel tank, do it once and spend the money for a new tank.

/ Fuel tank issue
JB Weld did not adhere to the connection or the build up I added later. It pealed right off. I am trying Seal All now. If that fails I will try melting the broken connection point and fusing them together.

/ Fuel tank issue
SealAll worked no better. After a week away I am back at it. I drilled out the broken fitting and screwed in a brass fitting with a 3/8" barbed connector.. The tank is likely 1/4" thick in that area and the brass threads bit in nice and hard. See photo.

I have it all back together and fuel in the tank. I am following the bleeding instructions. My fuel filter has the priming pump on top. I opened the bleeding screw and pumped and pumped and pumped - no sign of fuel. I even removed the bleeding screw and pumped for another 2 or 3 minutes - no fuel. I checked the main fuel line out of the tank and it is not pinched.

Any bleeding suggestions?

Thanks.
View attachment 703878

/ Fuel tank issue
SealAll worked no better. After a week away I am back at it. I drilled out the broken fitting and screwed in a brass fitting with a 3/8" barbed connector.. The tank is likely 1/4" thick in that area and the brass threads bit in nice and hard. See photo.

I have it all back together and fuel in the tank. I am following the bleeding instructions. My fuel filter has the priming pump on top. I opened the bleeding screw and pumped and pumped and pumped - no sign of fuel. I even removed the bleeding screw and pumped for another 2 or 3 minutes - no fuel. I checked the main fuel line out of the tank and it is not pinched.

Any bleeding suggestions?

Thanks.
View attachment 703878
I'll answer my own question. I did some more reading and watched a couple of videos. It seems that I needed very little bleeding because the fuel filter was still full.

I pulled the fuel tank hose off the filter assembly. I connected a clear hose to it and blew. The tank bubbled so the line was fine.

I connected my clear hose to the filter assembly and fed the other end into the fuel tank. I pumped the primer but no fuel pulled up the clear tube, so the primer is faulty.

I connected the clear tube back on the fuel line and with vice grips ready I sucked on the clear hose until I saw a bit of fuel. I crimped the fuel line, disconnected my extension, and connected the fuel line back up to the filter assembly knowing it was full of fuel.

With the clutch in and locked, I released the vice grips as I turned the key. The tractor started without a sputter.

A painful repair process for a simple break, but all is well that ends well. BTW, a new tank is $345 Canadian. That was my last resort.

Happy tractor days ahead, starting tomorrow morning!

/ Fuel tank issue #16  
In auto body shops plastic repairs are very commonly done. As a guy who used to build wrecked cars I often repaired a plastic part if the price and function along with esthetics made sense to do so. Often by doing a repair from behind this was possible. A very common e.g. is the modern vehicle headlights which tend to all be extremely expensive plus in front collisions their attachment tabs break while the part that you see & use is OK. Both salvage yards and repair shops do this repair and of course for many years now. You tube is full of those repair videos.
The first step as stated early on here is to know what plastic your dealing with? There's no doubt that a plastic welder can do a far more permanent repair than JB Weld. JB Weld is a good product but has limits when gluing a fuel tank. I actually often used a Weller soldering iron with the paddle tip, a spray btl of water and some plastic donor material as the "filler rod" material. As you progress through the weld, spray water to set the material just repaired. This only is possible with heat set plastics.
I hope your screwed in "fix" does stand up to vibration and fuel, good luck.

/ Fuel tank issue #17  
Thanks for that advice. What should I use? Maybe JB Weld? It claims to work on plastic and I think it is fuel resistant.
JB weld will work. I had a leak on my rx6010c. I pumped the fuel out and dropped the left side tank. Clean it well and let the jb weld cure overnight. Once it was reinstalled, I filled the tank and fired up. No priming was necessary.

/ Fuel tank issue #18  
JB weld will work. I had a leak on my rx6010c. I pumped the fuel out and dropped the left side tank. Clean it well and let the jb weld cure overnight. Once it was reinstalled, I filled the tank and fired up. No priming was necessary.
Steel tank or plastic?
JB Weld should work fine on a steel tank....not so much on plastic.

/ Fuel tank issue #19  
Congratulations on getting it fixed, and having the common sense to figure it out on your own. Please ignore all the post repair advice. Whatever works, works. What works for some applications don't work in others. I have never found JB weld to be overly satisfactory in applications where there is stress involved. It is OK for plugging holes or if loaded in compression, but less successful if a tension, shear or torsional load is applied as it depends strictly on the adherence to the base material, which can be "iffy". Your solution sounds much better.

/ Fuel tank issue #20  
The most important is to know what the base material is.
Steel?, PVC?, ABS, or?.
Next what glue/solvent will work.
Heck on some simple glue sticks will do the job.
Others a hot iron will suffice.

I once 'welded' (hot glue) wing tip fairings on a Cessna aircraft and they experienced many happy hours of flying.
Same for a trailer wheel fairings.
But none would have survived had I used the best epoxy ($) adhesive,

Shucks I've repaired eyeglass frames using acetone.