Full figured 25hp Tractors

/ Full figured 25hp Tractors #1  

paulsharvey

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST
So, I've been wanting to upgrade my Kubota L285 2wd gear tractor for a while. Wasn't too serious about it till maybe last 18 months. Kinda talked my self into the idea a sub compact would do, but really wanted something bigger. Then caught a look at the Rural King RK25. Now, what should I be comparing it too? Mahindra Max, TYM T26?, Massey 1526, Mahindra 1626; Kubota L2501?

When I "Build Your Own" on Mahindra and TYM, I end at like $25k for a 25Hp Compact with a loader. Massey Ferguson doesn't seem to have a build your own option, but seems $22,500 is the price. When the RK seems to be around $17,000. Seems like a RK37 is about the price of some of the 25hp in-between sized machines.

Obviously, if price wasn't an issue; I would prefer a Massey 4x4 in the 40 hp range; but money is always an issue, and I don't need it, I'm not farming.

My L285 is 28.5 PTO HP, use a 4 ft flail mower, 6 ft box blade, and a home made single bottom plow. It's 2wd, strong arm steering, have to guess what's wrong each time you go to use it, ect. Ag tires on back, car tire on front.

Idea is I mow with an older JD riding mower, hydrostatic, with a deck that as more holes then metal; and have the old Kubota; and replace both. I dont 'need' it; but I told wife, when time comes, I see no reason to pay $2k for a mower, when that would make 8 months of payments. Would finance anything new. Want 4x4, I'm 90% sure I want hydrostatic, Ag, Industrial, or R14 tires, and a loader. At this point, I'm pretty sure I don't want (or don't want to pay for) a back hoe, for money reasons, and the fact that I would 99% want it off. Might either keep using old Ford 48" flail or maybe a 60" rear finish mower. Would consider getting rid of 6 ft frontier box blade (it's frankly too big for the L285, but it was like $200). I have considered the idea of a 54"-60" mid mount mower, but at this point, I think I've decided against it.

I do all my own repairs, but don't really enjoy it, and frankly, want something that when you turn the key, starts and runs, without messing around.

Would definitely like to go to a 30-40 hp 4x4, just can't justify. Mow, move dirt (sand), spread millings, move dead trees, ect; maybe get a tiller or disc at some point.

Rural King doesn't do trades; 1 dealer sells TYM, Branson, Bad Boy, and Kioti, that would probably take my Kubota on trade, but its not worth much.

Also, got to convince a wife that really thinks it's a toy; but when she saw the RK 7 year 0%, 0 down with payments of around $299; "That's really not bad, we pay more then that for cell phones each month".

Would Not do a tractor/trailer package; got a 7000lbs, 6'4"×16' (from the dealer discussed above).

/ Full figured 25hp Tractors
Correction, $17,999 for the RK25 ($299/month).
Screenshot_20230420_174814_Gallery.jpg

/ Full figured 25hp Tractors #3  
I read it all once but did not see any questions - is it jut me?

Personally I would buy a used tractor and no way would I have any monthly payments.

It looks like you are looking mostly at the bottom of the flood chain brands.

Last edited:
   / Full figured 25hp Tractors #4  
So, I've been wanting to upgrade my Kubota L285 2wd gear tractor for a while. Wasn't too serious about it till maybe last 18 months. Kinda talked my self into the idea a sub compact would do, but really wanted something bigger. Then caught a look at the Rural King RK25. Now, what should I be comparing it too? Mahindra Max, TYM T26?, Massey 1526, Mahindra 1626; Kubota L2501?

When I "Build Your Own" on Mahindra and TYM, I end at like $25k for a 25Hp Compact with a loader. Massey Ferguson doesn't seem to have a build your own option, but seems $22,500 is the price. When the RK seems to be around $17,000. Seems like a RK37 is about the price of some of the 25hp in-between sized machines.

Obviously, if price wasn't an issue; I would prefer a Massey 4x4 in the 40 hp range; but money is always an issue, and I don't need it, I'm not farming.

My L285 is 28.5 PTO HP, use a 4 ft flail mower, 6 ft box blade, and a home made single bottom plow. It's 2wd, strong arm steering, have to guess what's wrong each time you go to use it, ect. Ag tires on back, car tire on front.

Idea is I mow with an older JD riding mower, hydrostatic, with a deck that as more holes then metal; and have the old Kubota; and replace both. I dont 'need' it; but I told wife, when time comes, I see no reason to pay $2k for a mower, when that would make 8 months of payments. Would finance anything new. Want 4x4, I'm 90% sure I want hydrostatic, Ag, Industrial, or R14 tires, and a loader. At this point, I'm pretty sure I don't want (or don't want to pay for) a back hoe, for money reasons, and the fact that I would 99% want it off. Might either keep using old Ford 48" flail or maybe a 60" rear finish mower. Would consider getting rid of 6 ft frontier box blade (it's frankly too big for the L285, but it was like $200). I have considered the idea of a 54"-60" mid mount mower, but at this point, I think I've decided against it.

I do all my own repairs, but don't really enjoy it, and frankly, want something that when you turn the key, starts and runs, without messing around.

Would definitely like to go to a 30-40 hp 4x4, just can't justify. Mow, move dirt (sand), spread millings, move dead trees, ect; maybe get a tiller or disc at some point.

Rural King doesn't do trades; 1 dealer sells TYM, Branson, Bad Boy, and Kioti, that would probably take my Kubota on trade, but its not worth much.

Also, got to convince a wife that really thinks it's a toy; but when she saw the RK 7 year 0%, 0 down with payments of around $299; "That's really not bad, we pay more then that for cell phones each month".

Would Not do a tractor/trailer package; got a 7000lbs, 6'4"×16' (from the dealer discussed above).

7 years 0% down IS NOT 0% interest. If you do the math you are paying an extra $6500 over that $18k sticker just for financing (if the payment is $297/month for 7 years). That's a complete rip off in my book.

/ Full figured 25hp Tractors #5  
Not sure where you are getting your prices, but my new TYM T574H was $29k for the tractor and loader. Probably a little bigger than your target, but pricing for 2515H is under $23k for a package with a mower and box blade...should be less than $21k for just the tractor.

Not sure where you are getting your prices, but my new TYM T574H was $29k for the tractor and loader. Probably a little bigger than your target, but pricing for 2515H is under $23k for a package with a mower and box blade...should be less than $21k for just the tractor.
Maybe TYM didn't list price on the configuration tool; Mahindra did; want to say base was $20k; plus $5,500 with loader and bucket.

Edit: Looks like a TYM 264 is around $18k; not 100% if that's the clone of the RK25, or if its the smaller model

Last edited:
I read it all once but did not see any questions - is it jut me?

Personally I would buy a used tractor and no way would I have any monthly payments.

It looks like you are looking mostly at the bottom of the flood chain brands.
What makes/models are in that bigger/heavier/more capabable then a sub compact, and still in the cheap, small range. I assume the 25hp emissions stuff is the reason for a significant price jump right at that border line. With an actually decent lifting capacity, decent travel speed, ect. It seems like the MF GC series; Kubota BX, JD 1025; whatever are all giving up a lot of weight, lifting, ground clearance and other capabilities.

/ Full figured 25hp Tractors #8  
If you have a good Branson dealer I would go with the 2515H . I compared all the features you get to other brands and it came out way on top . Good luck with your search. Searching and research is half the fun. It will be so fun to use. Your wife will love it . Mine is learning!

Attachments

• B853BA8B-CCE6-48C8-9F6A-F728747CC772.jpeg
    B853BA8B-CCE6-48C8-9F6A-F728747CC772.jpeg
    410 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
I will also add; if anyone bought one of these size machines; any regrets on size power? Especially if you moved down in size from an 1970s vintage larger tractor, to something more modern and smaller.

Edit: Also; anyone absolutely hate 2 speed hydro; as in does it have 1 speed too slow to out run a rock and a 2nd speed useful only for road running it? I'm used to 1-8 w/ 1-2 reverse speed; and do most work in 2nd or 3rd. (Not saying I do or would dislike; this is an actual question, not a statement)

Last edited:
   / Full figured 25hp Tractors #10  
No regrets at all on my 25 hp Branson . I did have to learn what gear to be in when working with different implements but it has done everything I’ve asked of it . They say after your warranty is up you can turn the HP up to around 35 hp. Not sure I’ll do it when the time comes . This project alone saved me over 5K. I got 7 quad axle loads spread in one weekend.

Attachments

• 1212FE7C-0696-49FD-890E-70757A63CD8C.jpeg
    1212FE7C-0696-49FD-890E-70757A63CD8C.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 144
  • B83F3525-5603-4A4C-AA60-F8A5080CAA4E.jpeg
    B83F3525-5603-4A4C-AA60-F8A5080CAA4E.jpeg
    392 KB · Views: 146
  • EF3F03F9-86A2-4217-9404-17ACA7858A3B.jpeg
    EF3F03F9-86A2-4217-9404-17ACA7858A3B.jpeg
    351.7 KB · Views: 148