Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances.........

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances.........
That's kinda pricy. I pay around $6 per bag of morton's solar salt.
I bet everything is cheaper out your way, ME is expensive state to live in.
Must of been 25 years with this water softener, my water was so rusty white tee shirts would turn red, then had about two days of red water after the softener was put in, guess rusty water is common.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances.........
Smaller bags, 40# or 25#.
Or get a five gallon bucket and fill it only as full as you want to lift.
Or pay a kid 5-$10 to fill the salt hopper when it gets low.
Now we have the get salt to the bucket problem, but to fix that I should be able to lift a hand shovel when 80...

Attachments

• bully-tools-garden-trowels-92160-c3_600.jpg
    bully-tools-garden-trowels-92160-c3_600.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 127
   / Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #353  
I bet everything is cheaper out your way, ME is expensive state to live in.
Must of been 25 years with this water softener, my water was so rusty white tee shirts would turn red, then had about two days of red water after the softener was put in, guess rusty water is common.
Well I tell you what this is my second house with well water, and this one came with a water softener called sanitizer plus by water right. The other house had something else, this one is a lot better.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #354  
In at least one of the textile mills here the restroom was called the "WATER HOUSE".

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #355  
On subject of pump houses.
I insulated and installed a heater in one for a client many years ago.
Used a small watt heater and added a muffin fan for maximum circulation as I had set the thermostat at lowest setting.
Problem is that being in a humid setting the wood structure had a rather short life and had to be replaced recently.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #356  
Around here they were popular with the mobile home folks as they had no basement to put the pressure tank and controls in.
Many of them were cinder block structures often 3/4 or more buried so as to have some freeze protection.
Set it 6 or 8' in the ground they did pretty good, many of them had a light bulb for some extra heat.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #357  
I use a mixture of old drained antifreeze, water soluble cutting oil, and pinesol in my 7x12 bandsaw. Blade life is just about same as straight cutting fluid plus never had a frozen pump or algae growth. I'm a northerner and don't heat my shop unless I'm working in it.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #358  
I like learning garage/shop hacks and useful contraptions. I'm a diy hacker so revived this older post, Oil funnels, and containers, my wife likes kitchen gadgets, I like tools, I repurposed some of her pitchers and measuring cups as oil dispensers, a old turkey baster as battery electrolyte filler. I also repurpose the lids of 5 gal pails to catch residual oil on oil containers, funnels I store upside down.
I cut a small hole in a cutdown 55 gal drum for oil draining can drain all hydro oil at once instead of trying to put the plug back in mid drain, place it on an ATV jack which has castors, can be raised and lowered
installed a old gate valve in bottom
side of cut barrel which I can then control transfer into smaller containers to transport to the transfer station.
Putting funnels upside down keeps a lot of debris and dust out of them. Using kitchen pitchers and measuring cups is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying dedicated oil dispensary devices. Any one has a inexpensive safe hack for a 2 post lift I'm all ears lol.

Attachments

• KIMG1398.JPG
    KIMG1398.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 99
  • KIMG1399.JPG
    KIMG1399.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 104
  • KIMG1403.JPG
    KIMG1403.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:
   / Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #359  
Handy saw horses/ table Wood shop hack, So I had a bunch of cheap wooden barstools that were found on side of road, me being me I picked them up, started placing junk on them. Eventually needed another set of sawhorses Lumber prices were high at the time so looking over at my pile of junk precariously balanced on the free barstools thought they would work. They are surprisingly sturdy and balance 2xs, plywood, and my projects a lot better than expected, they also work very well for painting stuff. And cost nothing to make.

Attachments

• KIMG1401.JPG
    KIMG1401.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 90
  • KIMG1402.JPG
    KIMG1402.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 91
   / Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #360  
Starting a wood stove fire hack, with instant homemade fire starter (in keeping with thread title, might have a wood stove in in your shop)? My dad taught me this one I'm sure a few know of this, anyways old 12 pack boxes filled with newspapers, kindling and or yard sticks. Light the box instant fire with coals, I prepackage my homemade instant fire starters so I always have at least one ready to go.

Attachments

• KIMG1210.JPG
    KIMG1210.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 113
  • KIMG1409.JPG
    KIMG1409.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 116