Garage Smoke Detector

/ Garage Smoke Detector #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( flexible exhaust kits

Any idea where to get one? )</font>

Where ever fine duct works are sold. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Try a home improvement store or use a flexible metal dryer vent.

/ Garage Smoke Detector #12  
I on occasion get the diesel smoke lingering in the garage (normally don't store my tractor in the garage) and have thought about having an exhaust fan that has an exhaust pipe plumbed to it, that only comes on when the garage door is open and exhausts to the outside. Could be switched to a timer that could be manually started when the diesel smoke is a problem as an alternative. the exhaust fan could keep clean air coming across the smoke detector that way, and not interfere with its performance when the garage door was closed. Also, wouldn't be something that would have to be "hooked up" every time exhausting fumes is needed.

About the fumes of the diesel being real deadly. Not too sure they are quite as deadly as one might think, or that some have been telling, because;
I tried to kill a racoon in a trap (wanted to preserve the hide) and put the trap in a 55 gal. drum, and piped the exhaust directly into the drum. At best, after more than a couple hours, the racoon was a bit lethargic, but in no way was it dead. I decided it was taking too long and getting expensive, although the racoon probably was becoming comatose, so I used the cheap .22 method.
I'm not recommending being in an unvented garage with diesel smoke, but dangerous? not very under 'normal' operating conditions, in my opinion.

/ Garage Smoke Detector #13  
Tom the exhaust kits are available from Myers Tire click here

We used them years ago for gasoline service station use.

/ Garage Smoke Detector #14  
Try a smoke alarm that is designed for kitchen use. These have what is called a Quick-Quiet feature with a large center button to temporarily silence the alarm. Very easy to use, Firex is one brand that offers this feature. And as others have suggested also get a CO alarm for the garage.
Ken /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Garage Smoke Detector #15  
The door is usually only opened about a foot or so. For photo sake, it was opened all the way. Gerard

Attachments

• 551648-IM001427.JPG
    551648-IM001427.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 151
   / Garage Smoke Detector #16  
And another. Works great. Gerard

Attachments

• 551651-IM001425.JPG
    551651-IM001425.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 160
   / Garage Smoke Detector #17  
I just replaced all the smoke detectors in my house and garage. The new ones I bought have a nuisance feature, if you've burnt something on the stove, steam, etc (diesel smoke) you just press the hush button on the detector and it will ignore for 7 minutes and then go back to its regular mode. They are made by Kidde. The one I put in the hallway is a combination smoke/carbon monoxide detector as I have a forced air furnace. If anyone wants model no's I will post as I still have the boxes. When I have my tractor in the garage I will just start it and pull it outside right away and let it warm up.

Happy Holidays
Steve

/ Garage Smoke Detector #18  
As one who has (in the past) installed such, the correct term for the animal you want is a "Rate of Rise" detector. It is set to send an alarm signal (actually its contacts close) when the rate of temperature rise in an area exceeds so many degrees per minute.

Make sure you don't get a "combo" unit - one that does both smoke and RoR, otherwise you're back in the same boat.

Doug

/ Garage Smoke Detector #19  
Below is a past thread on smoke detection. The type of smoke detector you really want in your house are duel sensor type with ionization and photoelectric sensors.

The best detector near a kitchen to control false alarms is a photoelectric type NOT ionization which most detectors are.

See this thread for more info.

web page

Garages, attics, etc. or any other unheated space, smoke detectors should not be used because most are designed to operate in a range of 40F-100F and up to 85% relative humidity. A heat detector would be a good application, a cobo fixed temperature and rate of rise is the best of both worlds. Rate of rise activates if the heat inceaes more then 15 degrees in one minute, fixed temperature activate when it reaches its operating temp. Just make sure you do not install a 135 F detector in an attic that can reach 150F in the summer. Most fixed temp detectors are used once and then you need to replace them.

/ Garage Smoke Detector
You guys are great. Thanks for all the good info. Now the big question... When I head out to shop for the replacement detector, can I hit the big box (we have all varieties) or will I need to go to an electical supply house (which we also have). The electrical supply house doesn't like average Joe's like me, probably explains some of the success of the big box /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thanks again guys /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif