Garage Smoke Detector

/ Garage Smoke Detector #22  
I doubt if you'll find a "Rate of Rise" detector or a "heat detector" at a box store. I'm not aware of many of the above that are 110V hard wired types. Most of that type are going to be wired into a control panel, such as in a security/fire alarm panel.
I could be wrong though, I was twice /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Garage Smoke Detector #23  
I bought 135 degree Heat Detectors from Home Depot, and they have the same wiring pattern and work with my hardwired units in my house (i.e., if one goes off, they all sound). I put a Heat Detector in my wood shop and in my garage. They are the Firex Brand.

/ Garage Smoke Detector #24  
Yes I second that,,,

The depot sells heat detectors that are 110 volt and compatible with your smoke interconnects.

/ Garage Smoke Detector #25  
<font color="blue"> Just don't forget about it and drive off before you remove it. </font>

I saw a rig at a Newark fire house to solve that problem. The end of the hose had a flange with a bunch of magnets on it, the exhaust on the equipment had some type of similar ring. The hose was attached to a pipe fixed to the wall or ceiling, a few feet of slack. When the equipment pulled out the hose dropped behind.
Should be easy to rig up something like that, maybe run the hose out a dryer vent thru a window.

Lou

/ Garage Smoke Detector #26  
I had the same problem. I put a fan on the floor at the rear of the garage between the detector and the tractor. I turn it on before I start it and it blows the exhaust out the door.

/ Garage Smoke Detector #27  
I also agree on the heat detector. I had a heat and a co2 hooked up in the garage. The exhaust hose looks like a good idea even if you change over to a heat detector. .............J

/ Garage Smoke Detector #28  
<font color="blue"> The easiest way to disable a smoke detector on a temporary basis is to tape a plastic bag over it, blocking the flow of air into it. </font>

This discussion is very timely for me, but with a different twist. Has nothing to do with tractors or garages. I am currently in the process of expanding my office into some adjacent space next door. My office has a security / fire alarm that is monitored. Apparently, a fire sensor was installed in the attic space of the office next door and wired into my system.

During the demolition of the adjacent office partitions and rerouting plumbing, etc, the dust has triggered the fire alarm on several occasions, sometimes on weekends. In each instance, by the time our monitoring service contacts me, the fire department has already been dispached, only to find dusty conditions or, recently, workers smoking cigarettes near the sensor.

Our system was designed to be tamper-resistant. Therefore, when the workers tried to either disconnect the sensor or cover it with a plastic bag, it triggered the alarm. The only way to disarm the fire sensor is to turn off the circuit breaker and unplug the back-up battery. Unfortunately, the alarm system is on the same circuit as the furnace. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif So, we have had some chilly days at work when the construction crew was kicking up dust.

The point of this long story is that covering the sensor doesn't always work. However, it is probably fine for most home units.

/ Garage Smoke Detector #29  
If you're starting your tractor inside your garage, I don't see any problem with immediatley lifting the FEL a tad and easing it out the door. Let it fully warm up outside. That's what I do to mine.

Ralph

/ Garage Smoke Detector
A quick follow up and thank you to the TBN brain-trust. I picked up a Firex brand heat detector the other day but it was too cold for this installer. A day later I was cutting some plywood in my future basement wood shop and set off the alarms with the dust I was making. I put the heat detector down there and got another one for the garage. Per their literature, the heat detectors are recommended over smoke detectors for garages and shops so I should be all set.

Today, just for kicks, I did fire up the tractor in the garage. I always have the doors open but in the past the smokie has gone off in just a couple of seconds. No problem now. A quick test confirmed the entire system still sounds when one goes off.

Thanks again to all /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif