Garden tractor life span

/ Garden tractor life span #21  
Might be a tad longer, but not much. Those wind up being built to a price point for cheap "move it" pricing compared to the standard machines sold at dealers.
Not sure about that. I know the cub cadet zero turns with Kawasaki motors are the same models sold in box stores as dealers, and they are priced the same at both vendors. I did notice that the dealers and HD sell them with Kawasaki motors and TSC sells the same model with Kohler motors. At this time, every place is selling at the same price.

/ Garden tractor life span #22  
I was given one in 1999 and have used the coon dog crap out of it. Bush hogged and cleared land with it. Hacked briar thickets down, backing up and making full speed runs at 7' tall brush, clearing acres. Mowing trees down that raise front wheels off the ground. Never even changed oil in it. Broke one deck belt. Replaced spindle bearing because a trash bag wrapped up on blade. Replaced battery twice. That's all folks.
No oil changes? Huh?

/ Garden tractor life span #23  
No oil changes? Huh?
I have never changed it. Reason is, every time I check it, it looks clean. It must have an air filter that works good. I'm talking 15':acres around here.

/ Garden tractor life span
I have always wanted a ZTR but bought a tractor instead.

My buddy has a JD with a yanmar commercial unit. Amazing machine. But its cost 30x what I paid for my little mower. Both used. And hes replaced as many parts as me with less hours. Granted his will be on this earth a lot longer.

/ Garden tractor life span #25  
Geez passed by cheap thin wall pressed/stamped sheet metal frame, front axle, and deck riders at a big box store recently. 2k for the gear drive over 2k for the hydrostatic plus it had a step down from the less owner popular sealed k46 hydros. Ill stop complaining when I occasionally have to replace points and condensers lol.

Last edited:
   / Garden tractor life span #26  
After servicing the 3400 hydros with spin on filters, on my wife's zero turn 3x over the last 6 yrs. went with this ams oil 20-50 and will probably extend servicing based on hours and years in between intervals and won't follow manufacturers recommendations anymore. If I was to go through the hassle to pull a sealed hydro transaxle to change fluid I'd seriously consider this over conventional 20w50. Seems to be a lot smoother and no whining whatsoever.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230515-082041.png
    Screenshot_20230515-082041.png
    315 KB · Views: 46
   / Garden tractor life span #27  
Not sure about that. I know the cub cadet zero turns with Kawasaki motors are the same models sold in box stores as dealers, and they are priced the same at both vendors. I did notice that the dealers and HD sell them with Kawasaki motors and TSC sells the same model with Kohler motors. At this time, every place is selling at the same price.
I can't see a difference between the same models at box stores v the dealer. Pricing looks the same, but a dealer might be able to give a slight discount or throw in something where the box store won't do anything.

/ Garden tractor life span #28  
On any Garden or Lawn tractor you should shop Transmission first. Cheap will get you a cheap transmission. More $$ will get you a better one. And better ones can last far longer in heavy duty usage environments. Light duty then cheap will work just fine.

/ Garden tractor life span
On any Garden or Lawn tractor you should shop Transmission first. Cheap will get you a cheap transmission. More $$ will get you a better one. And better ones can last far longer in heavy duty usage environments. Light duty then cheap will work just fine.

I bought a pair from a buddy not because what they were but what they cost. $500 is my top dollar for a riding mower.

Got 2 for that price. A 90s craftsman 26hp 50 in with a Briggs. It had a solid rear axle but everything else was junk. Worst turning radius ever

The other was the husqvarna.

I use to have a troy built and it was an abomination. Neat variac transmission tho

/ Garden tractor life span #30  
Nothing wrong with a $500 used mower. We had one that was from my bro' in law and was free. The engine had lost all the bolts holding the lower half of the crankshaft housing. Bought new bolts and used that mower for another 10 years till it got replaced by the Black Craftsman Professional (with a k46). That mower though was 13 hp and a single cylinder with a 38" deck (rotted out eventually) replaced with a 42" deck. Those mowers were good machines for the simplistic designs that they had. Gear drive in them can last forever too (peerless cheapo transmission). Those cheap mowers when riding over bumps you can feel the whole chassis just flex. Just cheap is all I can say. But they continue to work and in a light duty application they are reliable as designed to be. After the Grey Craftsman was used and replaced by the Black one we used it at the family farm to cut basically weeds weekly or monthly. That machine was as good there doing that chore the same as when it was at my house working on the front yard of one acre here. (out of 4 total and the rest cut with the Ford 1900 and 72" deck) It's surprising how durable it was overall.