Gardens

/ Gardens #11  
I am close, Need to enclose the greenhouse, put the cardboard down and then put the compost on top. Once thats done, Ill finish the small amount of fencing and be good to go. Its been too wet and windy to get the plastic on our gothic modular movable greenhouse.

/ Gardens #12  
I'm picking taters, zucchini and green beans now.
We have only had about 4" of rain since first of the year! Fronts go through but it seems to go around me.
A few years ago my Nephew gave me some "Top Crop" bean seeds and I have been very happy with them.
They are stringless bush beans and really produce!

/ Gardens #13  
Starting to sprout.....

20190510_164151_resized.jpg

20190510_164229_resized.jpg

20190510_164309_resized copy.jpg

Attachments

• 20190510_164229_resized.jpg
    20190510_164229_resized.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 69
   / Gardens #14  
The garden area was barely dry enough today to till. It was the first time using the tiller on the Toolcat too. The farmers around here a a month behind because the ground didn't warm up and dry out.
garden till 005_1.JPGgarden till 007_1.JPG

/ Gardens #15  
A few years ago, the wife wanted to put in a garden, and I thought it seemed like a nice idea. It brought back memories of helping my dad with his garden when I was a kid.

I rototilled the area, helped with the initial planting, and did some of the weeding. The results were pathetic. We got maybe 2 1/2 ears of corn and a few peas, before they flooded out.

I can accept the idea that I’m not going to receive good payment for my time with the produce we receive. But it would have been flat out cheaper to go to the store and buy what we produced.

I’m impressed when people can get good results, but I’m not one of them.

/ Gardens #16  
A few years ago, the wife wanted to put in a garden, and I thought it seemed like a nice idea. It brought back memories of helping my dad with his garden when I was a kid.

I rototilled the area, helped with the initial planting, and did some of the weeding. The results were pathetic. We got maybe 2 1/2 ears of corn and a few peas, before they flooded out.

I can accept the idea that I’m not going to receive good payment for my time with the produce we receive. But it would have been flat out cheaper to go to the store and buy what we produced.

I’m impressed when people can get good results, but I’m not one of them.

I'm with you drssg. Three years of trying with little to nothing to show for the effort... I'm convinced growing weeds is my calling.

I'm also attempting to clear 12 acres of jungle to the point of it only being a forest. Cutting and chipping literally thousands of 3" - 4" scrubs, vines, and 'blow-over' trees. After completing about 2 acres a month ago, I now have a nice crop wisteria, Muscadine vines, and briars. I suppose it's time for a good dose of that bad word R*-Up. Fortunately, the 'garden' area is only covered with a nice crop of bull weed, of which I can mow.
Meanwhile, I've gotten to be good friends with the guy down on the highway with the vegetable stand, him working and making money, and me working and spending money. Oh well, I never wanted to be rich. And it looks like I'll succeed in that.

/ Gardens #17  
I'm with you drssg. Three years of trying with little to nothing to show for the effort... I'm convinced growing weeds is my calling.

I'm also attempting to clear 12 acres of jungle to the point of it only being a forest. Cutting and chipping literally thousands of 3" - 4" scrubs, vines, and 'blow-over' trees. After completing about 2 acres a month ago, I now have a nice crop wisteria, Muscadine vines, and briars. I suppose it's time for a good dose of that bad word R*-Up. Fortunately, the 'garden' area is only covered with a nice crop of bull weed, of which I can mow.
Meanwhile, I've gotten to be good friends with the guy down on the highway with the vegetable stand, him working and making money, and me working and spending money. Oh well, I never wanted to be rich. And it looks like I'll succeed in that.

I have learnt a lot over the years and weeds are pain and destroy any garden. But wood chips are your friends, plant what you like & lay down heavy 3-4 inch layer of mulch around them.