Gas cans

/ Gas cans #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
Any suggestions on really good gas and diesel cans? I want them (of course) not to spill fuel, last a long time and pour fuel easily.

Doc

/ Gas cans #2  
Most gas and fuel cans sold today do not have a vent hole and have spring loaded nozzle spouts. (I guess for safety reasons). Blitz is a common brand. I've filled them, put the nozzle on and had them tip over in back of the truck and never lose a drop. They are OK but can be a hassle if you have to support the 5 gallon jug while filling a tank. It will fill slowly then stop and suck air back through the nozzle so the next half gallon can flow into the tank.

I fill my 5 gallon cans at the gas station (red cans for gas, yellow for diesel, Clear or blue for kerosene). In my area you must use these type safety cans, If I show up with something else they won't let me fill them.

Once home I pour the diesel into a 15 gallon white (opaque) container using a funnel. That container sits on a 4 wheel dolly I can roll over to the tractor and fill the fuel tank using a universal 12V electric fuel pump that runs off a 12V trailer battery.

You can always opt for a fuel caddy but I think they are expensive. Northern tool has several but the ones with a hand cranked pump are $400 and up. Of course the gravity feed ones must be higher than what you are filling.

/ Gas cans #3  
Any suggestions on really good gas and diesel cans? I want them (of course) not to spill fuel, last a long time and pour fuel easily.

Doc

I don't think such a thing exists anymore. At one time I thought he fact that gasoline wouldn't pour easily was due to the lack of a vent. So I drilled a little hole in each of my gas cans (one gallon for 2-cycle gas/oil mixture and two gallon for 4-cycle lawnmower gas). I plug each hole with a tight fitting golf tee, and before I pour gas from either can, I remove the golf tee, but I'm not at all sure that they help much.

/ Gas cans #4  
I never thought I'd see gas cans as sought after items at estate sales, but that might be the place to find one that doesn't have the funky nozzle on it.

/ Gas cans
I never thought I'd see gas cans as sought after items at estate sales, but that might be the place to find one that doesn't have the funky nozzle on it.

Good idea!
Thanks, Doc

/ Gas cans
I don't think such a thing exists anymore.

Pollution rules are pretty tight. I saw a Simplicity lawn tractor that has gone from clear gas caps to black gas caps so that the sun cannot damage the fuel. And they no longer have opaque sides so that you can see the fuel level for the same reason. Getting to be more like cars every day.
DOC

/ Gas cans #7  
I use something like this

Mine have a flexible hose (significantly longer than regularly on these dirtbike/race fuel jugs) and a brass ball valve. It's easy to stick the hose and spout into the fuel filler neck, set the jug where I want it, then open the valve. Crack the vent a tiny bit, and let it fill. When it's nearly full, shut the vent, then close the valve. There's no mess, my hands stay clean, and it's quite convenient. They also sell 2.5 gallon or so jugs that are even handier. I get mine in yellow for the tractors, so the colors match, and red for my gas equipment and dirtbikes.

It's not, probably, the optimal way to do this, but I've never had any problems with breakdown or corrosion of the container, hose, or valve. For me it's a much cleaner system than any of the others, and the jugs are durable and convenient to carry. The best ones have an additional handle on the side.

/ Gas cans #9  
Nice "jugs". Which filler hose did you buy?
Doc

0000_Scribner_Plastics_Replacement_Vent_for_Spacesaver_Jugs.jpg

Street Bike Fuel Cans Accessories - Motorcycle Superstore

Bottom of the page

I drill the newfangled cans and pull in a regular tubeless valve stem less the stem.

/ Gas cans #10  
I like no-spill ones..