Gas cylinders on an angle?

/ Gas cylinders on an angle? #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
Why do so many welding trailers and welding rigs have the cylinders on an angle? I understand that typically O2 and some of the inert shielding gas can be tipped. But the acetylene is a whole different deal. I just modified a skid that my welder is on and put the oxygen at 45 degrees and I kept the acetylene standing straight up. But it makes me wonder why I see so many trailers/rigs with BOTH cylinders angled.

Look at this photo, they have these cylinders tipped even further than 45 degrees. Has something changed with acetylene cylinders or maybe folks are running propane instead of acetylene?
welding_trailer.jpg

/ Gas cylinders on an angle? #2  
Looking at the trailer, I’d say it was for tank stability. Loading and holding tank for transport, that’s a great design. Lower overall height for wind resistance while protecting valves.

/ Gas cylinders on an angle? #3  
Just a guess but I suspect the main criteria is to prevent liquid from entering the valve and at that angle the valve would be 'high and dry'.
O2 is only a gas under pressure but acetylene is stored in a liquid state , I believe.

/ Gas cylinders on an angle? #4  
Some of the guys like to be able to reach the valves from the ground. Personally I wouldn't risk the acetylene on angle like that. They are short enough to stand up plus they take up less room standing. I'm not sure how far you could tip one before there's a problem.

/ Gas cylinders on an angle? #5  
Looking at the trailer, I’d say it was for tank stability. Loading and holding tank for transport, that’s a great design. Lower overall height for wind resistance while protecting valves.

I agree with you on the tank design mounting but I can’t speak with authority on the acetylene angle factor.

Last edited:
   / Gas cylinders on an angle? #6  
I realize the trailer isn’t the OP’s. Personally I would have relocated and elevated the welder to be more user friendly. The oxygen bottle could have been laid flat underneath it and the shorter acetylene bottle could have been mounted vertical to save space as yomax said.

Pretty much a very inefficient design IMO. Lots of better (and worse) ones to pick from on Google images.

/ Gas cylinders on an angle? #7  
   / Gas cylinders on an angle? #8  
Around here the DOT will zing you a ticket for transporting with Regs attched. They sit at the scrap yard waiting for the scrap guys to come up the street. They are particularly strict with the scrap guys.

/ Gas cylinders on an angle?
Around here the DOT will zing you a ticket for transporting with Regs attched. They sit at the scrap yard waiting for the scrap guys to come up the street. They are particularly strict with the scrap guys.

I think you can have regs attached if you have "in-service" cylinder safety caps, but I might be wrong.

/ Gas cylinders on an angle? #10  
I have a firm dislike for DOT. Not necessarily because of welding bottles but just BECAUSE......