Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference .

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #1  

FredH

Platinum Member
Tractor
N.H. TC-30
FIRST : Please , Don't Start Slammin Others for THEIR Preferences on How they mix their 2 stroke fuel , gas they use , etc.... . You are not at their location , Don't know anything about their equipment , how they use it , etc.... . While some of You have repair shops and have worked on countless machines , Great , Good for You But although You may have worked on the exact same product , say a chainsaw , You do not know how I / They maintained or stored or ran it thus it is like comparing apples to oranges .

O.k. As the Title states , What is Your Preference when it comes to mixing your 2 stroke fuel ?? Me Personally , Regardless of what the " Factory " States , I run 32:1 . Even My new 441 Stihl gets 32:1 versus the Factory 50:1 plan . Local Stihl Dealer , been in business for over 40 years , Understands my Thinking and see's no issue . My Thinking is simple , Better to Fowl a $4 spark plug than burn up a $800+ saw , especially with ethanol gas or non-ethanol regular gas . Try to get premium non-ethanol gas usually , but requires a 60 mile round trip and they may or may not have it and you can't call ahead to find out , thus it is just a crap shoot . Those times that they don't have it , I get what they have and still go 32:1 . Before I sold my 2 041's , I put a new intake gasket on the older of the 2 , Piston skirt still looked brand new with no discoloration after 15+ years of use .

Again , Just Curious how every one else thinks , Not trying to start a " I Know More " Session , Just stating what has worked for me for over 30 years .

Fred H.

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #2  
My new Stihl MS261, purchased during November 2012, has emissions control of some sort.

I use Stihl recommended 50:1 ratio to optimize emissions control.

I also use 89 octane gasoline, recommended by Stihl for this saw, in their "professional" line.

I mix one gallon of gasoline and two-stroke oil at a time, which lasts me about a month.

It generally starts on pull two after sitting two weeks.

Last edited:
   / Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #3  
Running 50:1 in all 2 stoke engines. This includes Stihl, Husqvarna,Snapper, and Echo. 89 octane and Stihl Ultra with a shot of Star Tron. See you have a new Stihl 441. I have a 2 year old MS362 and has had nothing but 50:1 since new with absolutely no problems. YMMV:)

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #4  
I run between 32:1 and 40:1, synthetic oil mixed with 91 non ethanol.

Most of my saws are ported, but same mix goes in stock saws to

32:1 will not foul the plug and is known to make more power than 50:1

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #5  
I just got rid of an old crappy weed whacker that called for 32:1, and replaced it with a stihl. Now all of my 2-stroke equipment calls for 50:1, and that is what I use. I have been using hp ultra oil and always buy 89 octane gas. I fill my 2 5-gallon jugs to use on my lawn mower, and then measure and mix out of those into a 1 gallon can for the 2-stroke stuff. To try to keep fuel fresh I try to only mix 1 gallon at a time, and when that one is almost gone, mix another one in another can. This is now possible since I used to have 2 different mixes, I now have 1 mix ratio and 2 cans. I am like you, I can't get non-ethanol fuel easily around me. The only place is about 30 miles opposite the directions I usually travel, so make do with the ethanol gas from BP. So far I haven't had any fuel-related problems that I know of. We also have a Casey's nearby, but I don't buy gas there.

I at first was a little skeptical of the stihl oil, since when I switched from echo powerblend my trimmer seemed to start a little harder, but that issue has gone away and I am now satisfied with the oil. It is expensive, but since a 6 pack of 1-gallon mixes for about $15 lasts me all season usually, I'm not worried about the extra cost.

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #6  
Another thing I should add, is that I remember reading or hearing someone say that stihl claimed their 50:1 mix would work with all engines, even those calling for 32:1. I have an old 015L chainsaw that I have been running the 50:1 for years. I recently found some old sales literature for this saw that recommended 25:1 oil mixture? Not sure if I will change my ways though.

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #7  
16:1 was used many years ago because of the oil, not the equipment.

You can run modern 50:1 oil mix in old machine as well as new.

I still prefer more oil and run all my two strokes on the same mix.

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #8  
FIRST : Please , Don't Start Slammin Others for THEIR Preferences on How they mix their 2 stroke fuel , gas they use , etc.... . You are not at their location , Don't know anything about their equipment , how they use it , etc.... . While some of You have repair shops and have worked on countless machines , Great , Good for You But although You may have worked on the exact same product , say a chainsaw , You do not know how I / They maintained or stored or ran it thus it is like comparing apples to oranges .

O.k. As the Title states , What is Your Preference when it comes to mixing your 2 stroke fuel ?? Me Personally , Regardless of what the " Factory " States , I run 32:1 . Even My new 441 Stihl gets 32:1 versus the Factory 50:1 plan . Local Stihl Dealer , been in business for over 40 years , Understands my Thinking and see's no issue . My Thinking is simple , Better to Fowl a $4 spark plug than burn up a $800+ saw , especially with ethanol gas or non-ethanol regular gas . Try to get premium non-ethanol gas usually , but requires a 60 mile round trip and they may or may not have it and you can't call ahead to find out , thus it is just a crap shoot . Those times that they don't have it , I get what they have and still go 32:1 . Before I sold my 2 041's , I put a new intake gasket on the older of the 2 , Piston skirt still looked brand new with no discoloration after 15+ years of use .

Again , Just Curious how every one else thinks , Not trying to start a " I Know More " Session , Just stating what has worked for me for over 30 years .

Fred H.

Nice little tirade to start a post...:laughing:

IMO...anyone and I mean anyone that does not follow manufacturer's specifications, the operating, care and maintenance instructions...is not smart enough to operate the piece of equipment to begin with...!

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference . #9  
16:1 was used many years ago because of the oil, not the equipment.
You can run modern 50:1 oil mix in old machine as well as new.

I think the oil type makes little difference, its fresh and uncontaminated and "just passin thru", continually exchanged with new oil. 16:1 was used because they didnt know any better, and they didnt have nikasil plated cylinders and other modern materials.

In some motorcycle and car forums oil discussion is banned because members get so mad they quit. Shows how effective oil advertising is, and with such highh profit in "premium oils" its no suprise that the advertising can be very effective.

I use 50:1 because Stihl recommends it, and I don't have any problems, thats all I can say for sure.

More oil = less gas, consequently 32:1 needs to be a little richer on the mixture screws. Oil is not a combustible component, if theres too much its getting in the way.

/ Gas/ / Oil Mixture Rate Preference .
Per /Pine " IMO...anyone and I mean anyone that does not follow manufacturer's specifications, the operating, care and maintenance instructions...is not smart enough to operate the piece of equipment to begin with...! "

Yea O.K. !! Only Part of that Statement that is Valid or has any Merit is the " IMO " !! :thumbsup:

Exactly the Point of my " tirade " . I don't knock anyone for how they choose to utilize their equipment , Was just curious how they mix their fuel since the ethanol is here to stay . Everyone has a opinion and your's is neither anymore important or any less than anyone else's . :laughing:
Not Bashing You what so ever , But Sadly , Many People who had purchased those Ford Explorer's did what the Manufacturer Stated also and were did it get them ??

Fred H.

Last edited: