Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #71  
Cordially disagree with that statement. I actually own a 18 volt DeWalt manufactured adapter to run 20voly li ion batteries in 18 volt nicad tools. Several generations later. I think adapters can be found either by the manufacturer or aftermarket to run different styles of batteries
A very good point.I stand corrected.
I had some of their 12v tools when they first came out, then bought into the 14v and when they went to 18v I got out and switched to Ryobi and won't go back.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted
A very good point.I stand corrected.
I had some of their 12v tools when they first came out, then bought into the 14v and when they went to 18v I got out and switched to Ryobi and won't go back.
Ryobi is good stuff. Have used it commercially and now on the ranch and home. I have a mess of ryobi and some aftermarket bigger capacity batteries. Still buying it

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #73  
That's why I won't buy Dewalt, they change the battery voltages, design every 5 or so years and they didn't retro fit.
I bought my first 20v max set (drill, 1/4" impact driver battery & charger) in 2013. I've since then bought about (based on retail prices) about 3K of that and their flexvolt line. I've had about 4 batteries "die". Hardly a day goes by I don't use at least one tool and battery. I've small batteries for light usage and big for heavy duty.
I've bought the 1800 Watt Portable Power Station and 20V/60V MAX Lithium-Ion Battery Charger when it went on sale for about $200 years ago. With a few of my higher capacity batteries I've used it many times to provide lights and power to my modem, router and laptops during power outages.
I'm waiting for the price on the 15 AH flexvolt to drop so I can fill it with those. But it will run on about any mix of 4 20v max or flexvolt batteries.
It's nice to have a large battery bank with lots of batteries when like in my area of N. Mississippi power goes out routinely during big storms. I usually just set it up in the living room.

Last edited:
   / Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #74  
Not saying electric could fit the OP's needs. What I have found is yes electric has comparable power and torque that is not the question. However the stamina is not there to do hours on end jobs without having a fleet of batteries or hot charging them which will damage them rapidly in the summer heat.
I have never run the battery out on the weed Wacker. Chain saw? Yes. I will run out of gas well before the 2Ah battery will. My weed wacker does not draw much, so that will last more than 2 hours. I have two batteries, but never need more than one for those tasks.

I think if you need to do more than 3-4 hours of continuous weed wacking, you are either doing it commercially, or using the wrong tool (or solution).

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #75  
I also have bought 20 volt batteries and an adapter for 18 volt tools, it works well. I suspect battery operated pole saw, leaf blower and string trimmer would work fine for me. A chainsaw I think ill always need gas powered.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #76  
We operate saws and strings off the same gas power heads. Strings take the most HP by far. Of course we only use serious string diameters.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #77  
We operate saws and strings off the same gas power heads. Strings take the most HP by far. Of course we only use serious string diameters.
.105 string? My earlier curved shaft cheap wackers would see that and self destruct before I could even use it lol.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #78  
.105 string? My earlier curved shaft cheap wackers would see that and self destruct before I could even use it lol.
.155 is all we run but have tried 170. We are trying to go bigger.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #79  
.155 is all we run but have tried 170. We are trying to go bigger.
.095 string made my cheap curve shaft whackers destroy themselves.