Gate lock question

/ Gate lock question #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
OK so a little background. We like many of you, live rural, and have a gate at the entrance to our property. Our entrance is off a dirt road, and ever since we have lived here there was a coded gate at the entrance to the dirt road. Lately someone has broken that gate, forced their way through it, but that is another story. The residents are considering removal of the dirt road gate.

We have begun closing our gate all the time because some less than desirable people have made their way down the road. Which brings me to my question. Our gate is a swinging metal gate, and like any gate I realize is only a deterrent for a thief. Our steel gate currently closes to a wood post, but I would clad that with steel. I am looking for an exterior lock, preferably one with a coded entry right on the lock (think hotel doors). I have seen some on the internet, but they are in the UK.
It would need to be operated (locked and unlocked) from either side as well, and would need probably 2" throw to lock securely to the post.

I have thought up an idea that could be padlocked from either side, but would prefer not to have to fart with another key. My idea would push a 1" bolt through my gate and into the steel clad post.

Before you ask, we have thought of a powered gate opener but like the dirt road gate those can be easily opened by pushing with a car/truck. Our dirt road gate did NOT have any locking bolt mechanism, it was simply a swinging gate that stopped against a post. This is a HEAVY steel gate, that swings on steel posts that are 12" dia, cemented into the ground. Not a lightweight setup. Also in case of a power outage, I still want to be able to get in or out.

My gate is nowhere near that heavy, and can be broken, but I still want the deterrent.

So, any suggestions on the lock?

/ Gate lock question #2  
You could have a locking mechanism machined, and you should look at what the forestry / National Parks people do to lock gates, some good ideas. That said, if someone is going to steal they are going ot steal, you can a bit to slow them down but stuff will go bye bye if a theif wants it bad enough. So while the locked gate cuts down on the rif raff, I feel that you should also arm yourself with some images of who did it so work out video / still surveilance system. We were robbed and with the video much of what was stolen was returned.

/ Gate lock question
Yea I know it's only a deterrent, but I want it anyway :thumbsup:, the wife wants it even more so there ya go.
There's no NP/NF gates anywhere near here so will have to look it up.

Have thought of video more than once, still might do that too. We do have a total alarm system on the house, but a lot of expensive stuff is not in the house either.

/ Gate lock question
The ones I found are a tab from the gate, that goes thru a slot that a steel rod locks both together. Very solid and hard to get past, but too much for the wife to unlock in the rain.

/ Gate lock question #6  
I'm all for a secure gate and have been considering a gate for our property. We don't have a long lonely and maybe desolate driveway but it seems those of you that do, have more trouble than I would expect. Just surprised that bad folk would take the chance. I do like the idea of motion detect camera/recorder to hopefully capture the bad guys.

I don't have much security gate experience but I always follow along on these threads to learn. Good luck to you on your quest for securing yourself and family.

/ Gate lock question #7  
I was just thinking about our gate.... It has 3 locks on it. Utility, Phone and ours. Might want to factor that into any design if there is a reason for any of those people to get on your property (Legally we are obligated to let them on our property due to old easements. Many occassion they have messed up the magic 3-lock order of things and direct locked the gate. Bought a good pair of bolt cutters and every couple of years they have to replace their locks.

/ Gate lock question #8  
Seems to me that the OP has two problems, the first being locking the gate... noting that the gate alone is just a deterrent to a determined intruder. I'll leave recommendations for that to others with more experience.

The second problem is alerting the OP that something is happening at (or just after) the gate. To this I'd recommend some type of alarm system for back at the house and, perhaps, shed/barn. Comes to mind an old Service Station bell system (which a TBN member has mentioned before). The vehicle drives over the 'air hose' (pneumatic?) and the bell in the house rings... probably twice.

:2cents:

/ Gate lock question #9  
EASist fix for lock on gate is cable for locking a bike with padlock. It can be accessed from any side and can use multiple locks if desired

/ Gate lock question #10  
The first step to insuring that your security system will work is to survey the security of your neighbors.

THEN, you need to install security that is 10-50% more effort to bypass.
Criminals ALWAYS go to the easiest mark.
Your effort will be useless, if, after installation, your gate is still the easiest.