Gator 4x2 bogging down like its out of gas

/ Gator 4x2 bogging down like its out of gas #11  
Update, took old carb to JD dealer and he 'ultrasoniced' it for about an hour, set the mixture screw to factory because I'd broken it off (full in then back out 1.5 turns), put it back on, yeah it idles!!! Down the drive and starts bucking snorting.......JD mechanic says if that don't fix it, a new carb is needed, so I buy a new carb (190$) put it on AND...same thing. It's a matter of principle now and I WILL find out what's going on and I WILL fix it.

If I pull the choke about 1/2 out, it'll run like a champ full throttle, otherwise......it idles very well with no choke. Plug is really sooty when I pull it.

/ Gator 4x2 bogging down like its out of gas #12  
Have you pulled fuel hose off at carburetor & checked for a good fuel flow? Also check air filter & air supply hose for pluggable or kinked hose. How many hours on the machine? Check compression, could have stuck or burnt valve.

/ Gator 4x2 bogging down like its out of gas #13  
Yes - "valve" is the word of the day. I had a chronic problem like this with two ATVs. Even replace the carb on one. Mechanic said they were getting gummed up from the poor quality of current gas. But then someone in here suggested adjusting the valves [after 10 years] and that fixed it. So that might be the best place to look next.

/ Gator 4x2 bogging down like its out of gas #14  
I'm hoping for a little help here. I recently bought a used gator 4x2 that was having some running issues and I figured it was the carb since it had set up for a while. I brought it home and took the carb all apart and cleaned it and now it runs perfect idling and just poking around. Trouble is, when you start giving it the gas or climbing a hill, any type of load it just boggs down and almost quits. I have replaced the fuel lines, fuel pump and filter, checked the pick up hose and all looks good, new plug also. It will stay running as long as you let off the gas and give it a moment to catch up. I am at a loss and guess I will have to take it to the shop but was hoping someone here had been there and done that and could point me in the right direction. I will check back in tomorrow and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you checked spark plug and hotness of spark?

/ Gator 4x2 bogging down like its out of gas #15  
I bought a new carb for our HPX gator at deere for $400. I tried cleaning the old one twice first. New carb works much better. Been working for years now. Just had to put a fuel pump on it after 12 years.

/ Gator 4x2 bogging down like its out of gas #16  
Update, took old carb to JD dealer and he 'ultrasoniced' it for about an hour, set the mixture screw to factory because I'd broken it off (full in then back out 1.5 turns), put it back on, yeah it idles!!! Down the drive and starts bucking snorting.......JD mechanic says if that don't fix it, a new carb is needed, so I buy a new carb (190$) put it on AND...same thing. It's a matter of principle now and I WILL find out what's going on and I WILL fix it.

If I pull the choke about 1/2 out, it'll run like a champ full throttle, otherwise......it idles very well with no choke. Plug is really sooty when I pull it.

You defiantly have a fuel supply issue of some sort. I am not familiar with gators but my first look would be fuel filter, pump, and change fuel lines as well. Pull the spark plug out and look at the colour of it. Is it black, light brown, or almost white?

/ Gator 4x2 bogging down like its out of gas #17  
Depending on model, could be the vacuum powered fuel pump.

FWIW, our CX Gator was doing something similar a couple of years ago, would start & run OK for about 1/2 mile and then suddenly act like it was out of fuel despite plenty in the tank. Could sometimes nurse it along working the choke, sometimes not. Went on that way for maybe a couple of months. Before trying mechanical fixes I tried an aggressive dose of fuel treatments (i.e. injector cleaner, Star Tron & Sea Foam) into a partial tank. In a couple of days it was cleared up & running OK so it might have been lingering amounts of crap gas or build up in the carburator. Still doing OK, but now we treat all incoming gas with Star Tron in addition to our long time practice of Sta-bil treatment for the gas cans at the house.

Nick

/ Gator 4x2 bogging down like its out of gas #18  
SO i've fought this stupid thing for 2 weeks now and have thrown parts at it like i worked at a dealership: new carb (thanks for nothing JD Dealership mech), new fuel pump, new coil assy, new plug, new fuel filter, and the only problem was the restrictor (part number M127231 updated to vg11450 - Restrictor) being absent. inherited from my deceased dad-in-law, sure he knew what the problem was, but...

the below thread has a post by mrmopar that solved the issue for me,long story short - you order a size 92 (p/n jet from Jetsrus out of Marsfield, Mo, (P/N sku-99101-ZF5 price is $7.29 and $6.98 shipping) to replace the size 82 main jet, but for now it's running with a strip of packing tape covering 80% of the intake hole. now i've got a spare carb and coil:-(

BUT- I won, even if i did throw $350 up a hog.

JD Gator only runs with choke - John Deere Gator - Utility ATV

/ Gator 4x2 bogging down like its out of gas #19  
SO i've fought this stupid thing for 2 weeks now and have thrown parts at it like i worked at a dealership: new carb (thanks for nothing JD Dealership mech), new fuel pump, new coil assy, new plug, new fuel filter, and the only problem was the restrictor (part number M127231 updated to vg11450 - Restrictor) being absent. inherited from my deceased dad-in-law, sure he knew what the problem was, but...

the below thread has a post by mrmopar that solved the issue for me,long story short - you order a size 92 (p/n jet from Jetsrus out of Marsfield, Mo, (P/N sku-99101-ZF5 price is $7.29 and $6.98 shipping) to replace the size 88 main jet, but for now it's running with a strip of packing tape covering 80% of the intake hole. now i've got a spare carb and coil:-(

BUT- I won, even if i did throw $350 up a hog.

JD Gator only runs with choke - John Deere Gator - Utility ATV