Oil & Fuel Gator 4x2 transmission

/ Gator 4x2 transmission #1  

beenthere

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_425, JD_455 AWS, added JD_455, JD_110, JD_X485(sold)
Have been getting more and more squealing from braking than what I used to get. Made sure the tranny oil was full on the stick.

Changed out the tranny fluid with new, and took awhile, but the squeal diminished to almost nothing. Takes the Deere low vis oil.

/ Gator 4x2 transmission #2  
I've had mine for 11 years and it always squealed.

/ Gator 4x2 transmission
Mine came with a squeal when bought new in '96 (20 years now.. how time flies). But the last couple three years, the squeal seemed to get worse.. and downright annoying. I think some squeal is built into the design, and was happy that most of it went away with new oil.

This gator has raised 6 grandkids.. and been a real workhorse for me as well.

Attachments

• DSC_4107.JPG
    DSC_4107.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 341
   / Gator 4x2 transmission #4  
Now that's a Gator beenthere:thumbsup:

/ Gator 4x2 transmission
Getting some creep in forward shift selection when idling the 4x2 gator. Thinking this may be an adjustment needed in the shifting rod connecting to the transmission shifter. Anyone familiar with this problem or a fix?
Has not always done this, and have not boosted the idle setting on the engine. But think it may be part of the gear meshing noise when shifting from neutral to forward. Not so much meshing noise when shifting into reverse.

/ Gator 4x2 transmission
Deere dealer said the "creep" was in the primary clutch.. not a needed adjustment in the shifter.
So have solved with an initial shift into reverse first, then move into forward.. no gear grinding. Works for me, at the moment. May get worse, and then will follow a plan to remove the clutch and do some cleaning.. Deere doesn't offer parts for the clutch.. but my part man knows what procedure to follow (he has one ;) )

/ Gator 4x2 transmission #7  
Thanks for the update, I'm going to try that. My HPX gator sometimes grinds when it won't idle down.

/ Gator 4x2 transmission #8  
Mine came with a squeal when bought new in '96 (20 years now.. how time flies). But the last couple three years, the squeal seemed to get worse.. and downright annoying. I think some squeal is built into the design, and was happy that most of it went away with new oil.

This gator has raised 6 grandkids.. and been a real workhorse for me as well.

That roof you have on there is great.