Tires GC1700 series Front Turf Tires - an issue discovered.

/ GC1700 series Front Turf Tires - an issue discovered. #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings,

I've owned my GC1715 since June of 2015. And currently I have about 200 hours on it.

Unit has been incredibly dependable and durable for both summer and winter issues of Wisconsin.

A year or more ago - while snowplowing with my snow edge on my fel - I surprisingly developed a flat front tire (turf tire) on our long concrete driveway. Managed to get it back to the top - took wheel off and took it in for repair. Turns out the Valve stem was inside the tire and still worked properly (no damage to tire). But because a flat is a major pain especially in the winter - I had them put on a new valve stem.

Now this year during our extensive snow season this year - I again had the same thing happen. Again - the valve stem was inside the tire and this time I had them put on a steel valve instead of rubber. Apparently - something is happening that forces the rubber stem in the wheel and then of course - flat tire. I don't know if others have experienced this - but it seems the steel valve will be a considerable improvement - because it actually fastens with a washer and nut on the outside and inside. Once is a fluke - but twice on the same tire and same conditions - indicates an issue to be rectified.

The steel valve doesn't protrude any further out than the rubber one did - but it should take substantially more pressure before being forced inward.

I'll also add that in this 3.5 years of ownership - I've never had air decreases of tire pressure at all - never required filling air in tires - and yes - the unit is kept outside on the southern side of the property in sunshine. I saw no indication of sun fade or sun aging on any part of the tractor or tires at this point - however I do have a cover I put on the tractor - so it certainly appears the valve stem is the focus of the problem and just on the one side.

If it happens again - I think then I go to acquiring a spare wheel rim and turf tire so I can easily switch and not lose use and time.

/ GC1700 series Front Turf Tires - an issue discovered. #2  
Same wheel? Or the other side?

If the same, maybe a bad wheel? Hole just slightly oversized somehow?

/ GC1700 series Front Turf Tires - an issue discovered. #3  
Metric valve stem vs SAE valve stem.......... Just kidding....

If rubber valve stem is getting pushed in I would say the hole in wheel is to large....

Dale

/ GC1700 series Front Turf Tires - an issue discovered.
Diggin It, that's an interesting thought of the valve hole being slightly different - however I'd have thought I might have had a regular little air loss then - and I went 2 years with no air pressure change at all - until the 1st flat. If your idea is correct - then the steel valve should be a great fix. I've wracked my brain that the same tire twice in 3.5 years could fail in exactly the same way - and so I considered something I was doing to cause it - like side hitting a landscape block or something that would create a glancing blow. Yet summer seems to have as many or more opportunities for that than does winter when I'm grass cutting around rock gardens etc..

I thought of lots of different things but never your suggestion. And the fact the valve is unhurt after retrieving it from inside the tire each time - would also fit too. Sometime - I'll get caught much further than 150 feet away from my flat landing next to the garage - I just cringe driving on a completely flat tire on concrete - but so far - the tire doesn't show any damage. If your idea is right - and my steel valve does what I think it will - I shouldn't have another recurrence. I am thinking the next time I have reason to take my other front tire off - I may have a steel valve installed on that one too. Fingers crossed your idea is it :)

Dale,

That is funny - except if it was right when I was taking that forsaken wheel off in 5 degree weather with wind outside on snow covered driveway :)

As long as I'm writing - do you or anyone else know why rubber is almost always used instead of screw on steel valves - is there any disadvantage to steel. As they were tightening it on - I could sure see some advantages tothe steel. I thought it would be much more expensive - but it was only $1 dollar more than rubber.

/ GC1700 series Front Turf Tires - an issue discovered. #6  
- and so I considered something I was doing to cause it - like side hitting a landscape block or something that would create a glancing blow. Yet summer seems to have as many or more opportunities for that than does winter when I'm grass cutting around rock gardens etc..

Snow banks are softer, yet firm. Maybe firm enough to dislodge the stem, but soft enough not to leave tell-tale marks.

Snow banks are softer, yet firm. Maybe firm enough to dislodge the stem, but soft enough not to leave tell-tale marks.

Another good thought - one I had considered - but in a different way - I was wondering if I got snow packed in the rim - if it would increase contact with the valve and if I was turning - if that could cause it. But only on that side. And if your first idea of a slight difference in valve hole - combined with some packed snow pressure in the rim - it would make it easier. Just snow seemed unlikely - but a slight hole variance with the snow issue - could be just enough to do it. If that's the case - that steel valve extends wider than does the rubber. Obviously 2 times in 3.5 years is not frequent - but its 2 times more than I'd like to have in the next year or two :)

And boy - getting another rim and tire as a spare - isn't all that low priced lie it might be on a car or truck :)

/ GC1700 series Front Turf Tires - an issue discovered. #8  
You could try putting a tube in the tire.

/ GC1700 series Front Turf Tires - an issue discovered. #9  
As ray66v says, if it happens again I would tube it. I had one front tire that became a problem tire after a few years. The dealer couldn't figure it out so it was a pain in my ***** to keep dealing with it, we just tubed it.

/ GC1700 series Front Turf Tires - an issue discovered. #10  
Rubber stems are more forgiving as the will bend or lean with pressure applied.... Steel stem will resist pressure to a point then they crack or shear....

Even my new water tank for house pressure system has rubber valve stem for pressurizing chamber above bladder.... Old tank had steel (maybe brass) stem screwed into bung welded to tank shell........ Cheaper to produce I guess....

Dale