Oil & Fuel GC2400 how bad is slight overfill hydo oil?

/ GC2400 how bad is slight overfill hydo oil? #1  

Dmacleo

Veteran Member
Tractor
2010 MF GC2400 Owner, 2012 MF1532 User
supposed to be 3.2 gallons. pulled almost 4 out (had never serviced myself) at the 2.5 mark nothing on glass. at the 3 mark nothing on glass. at 3.4 nothing on glass. put 3.8-3.9 gallons in so..basically .6 gallons (approx 2.4 qts) over.
forgot how fast the sight glass fills on these suspect the fist few drops after the 3 gallon check hit the glass and I missed it.
I can drain it but....how critical is that?
there not enough room in system to prevent heat expand and foam?
honestly if I do need to drain I would just plug a hose into one of the loader connects and measure what comes out.

second part of post.
what brand hydro fluid do other GC owners use? mine, in central Maine, will be running in temps from -20 to 98 F. all year round.

/ GC2400 how bad is slight overfill hydo oil? #2  
I've always used the permatran 821xl for my machine but will likely move to rotella HD next time. The other killer is filters which, to this point, no ones been able to cross reference for anything but the motor that I've seen. I use rotella T5 15-40 on my motor.

/ GC2400 how bad is slight overfill hydo oil?
I've always used the permatran 821xl for my machine but will likely move to rotella HD next time. The other killer is filters which, to this point, no ones been able to cross reference for anything but the motor that I've seen. I use rotella T5 15-40 on my motor.

will check that out thanks

/ GC2400 how bad is slight overfill hydo oil? #4  
I believe the Hydro capacity is 2.9 gallons. It takes about a quart to go from nothing in the sight glass to completely full. The level can also change in the glass when running. Standard when checking fluid level is to have all cylinders retracted (FEL, 3pt). The fluid condition can be monitored a little by checking the sight glass after operating, with the tractor running.

Kubota SUDT2 would be my choice for hydro fluid. MF has always lagged behind in the quality of their lubricants. Easily available, and priced reasonably.
Motor oil, I've been using Mobil Delvac 1™ ESP 0W40 (or its predecessor Esso Extra XD-3 0W40) for about 14 years/700hours now.
OEM filters for me.

/ GC2400 how bad is slight overfill hydo oil? #5  
I would pull out two quarts and call it good.

I run Amsoil in everything. If you sign up as a “preferred customer” the cost difference is negligible.

/ GC2400 how bad is slight overfill hydo oil? #6  
If it were me, I'd remove the drain plug just enough for the hydraulic fluid to begin draining into a clean container.

Then I would watch the sight glass until the level is half way, and quickly fully install the drain plug.

KC

I pulled it down, took 2 minutes. set all pistons to retracted and hitch down. pulled one line off FEL connected hose from tractor end and other end in bucket.
start tractor press lever every quart check glass. pulled 2 gallons out in 2 minutes glass sitting level at approx 3/4. right where easy to see.

I mean I had line and gage all set up so hookup took 45 seconds or so.

I have been looking at the rotella since tractor supply is 13 miles away (all stores that sell this stuff 13 or more miles away, rural area) and carries it at decent price
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/shell-rotella-universal-hydraulic-fluid-5-gal-pail

/ GC2400 how bad is slight overfill hydo oil? #9  
Slight overfill may not be a problem if it is not puking oil out of filler or any other vents, I would be more concerned if it were under filled...

Dale

Slight overfill may not be a problem if it is not puking oil out of filler or any other vents, I would be more concerned if it were under filled...

Dale

LOL ended up being 2 gallons over full so....safe than sorry :):laughing: new fluid was so clear and my glass is clean both sides so just looked like had never come up to glass when in reality I had blown past it.