Oil & Fuel GC2400 how bad is slight overfill hydo oil?

/ GC2400 how bad is slight overfill hydo oil? #11  
I pulled it down, took 2 minutes. set all pistons to retracted and hitch down. pulled one line off FEL connected hose from tractor end and other end in bucket.
start tractor press lever every quart check glass. pulled 2 gallons out in 2 minutes glass sitting level at approx 3/4. right where easy to see.

I mean I had line and gage all set up so hookup took 45 seconds or so.

I have been looking at the rotella since tractor supply is 13 miles away (all stores that sell this stuff 13 or more miles away, rural area) and carries it at decent price
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/shell-rotella-universal-hydraulic-fluid-5-gal-pail
Considering 821xl here from the dealer that 45mins away is nearing $100 a 5 gallon bucket the rotella is a steal from my POV. TSC is 7 minutes away besides for me. Can get there and back in less than half the time of driving to the dealer.

/ GC2400 how bad is slight overfill hydo oil? #13  
Look at Kubota filters..... WIX makes a 11 micron filter for Kubota, if it "fits" it should be just fine, MF manual say on 1700 series to use a 10 micron filter....

Part Details

Dale
I've always been reluctant to try that. While the kubota BX and MF GC produce similar power output and have comparable hydro systems I'm unfamiliar with overall spec differences that would otherwise merit such an attempt. It's actually surprising to me that wix hasn't already cross referenced this themselves given how long the GC hydro systems have been in use and how many units likely have been sold.

/ GC2400 how bad is slight overfill hydo oil? #14  
LOL ended up being 2 gallons over full so....safe than sorry :):laughing: new fluid was so clear and my glass is clean both sides so just looked like had never come up to glass when in reality I had blown past it.

You can get a dye to put in hydraulic fluid to make it more visible in sight glass....

For example...

Buy John Deere MT3668 Hydraulic Oil Dye| hartvilletool.com

Maybe somebody needs to develop accessory dip stick just like auto trans in most road vehicles...

Dale

/ GC2400 how bad is slight overfill hydo oil? #15  
I've always been reluctant to try that. While the kubota BX and MF GC produce similar power output and have comparable hydro systems I'm unfamiliar with overall spec differences that would otherwise merit such an attempt. It's actually surprising to me that wix hasn't already cross referenced this themselves given how long the GC hydro systems have been in use and how many units likely have been sold.

Probably paid by AGCO not to ....

Dale

/ GC2400 how bad is slight overfill hydo oil?
Considering 821xl here from the dealer that 45mins away is nearing $100 a 5 gallon bucket the rotella is a steal from my POV. TSC is 7 minutes away besides for me. Can get there and back in less than half the time of driving to the dealer.
yeah distance is an issue for me too, as well as price the Purus the MF/Kiote dealer here sells is, with tax, 130$ for 5G.
Look at Kubota filters..... WIX makes a 11 micron filter for Kubota, if it "fits" it should be just fine, MF manual say on 1700 series to use a 10 micron filter....

Part Details

Dale
I will look at that thanks
You can get a dye to put in hydraulic fluid to make it more visible in sight glass....

For example...

Buy John Deere MT3668 Hydraulic Oil Dye| hartvilletool.com

Maybe somebody needs to develop accessory dip stick just like auto trans in most road vehicles...

Dale
I forgot all about that will look into that

/ GC2400 how bad is slight overfill hydo oil? #17  
My GC has never seen the inside of a heated garage or block heater/battery tender. Depending on your storage, type of use, and location, be aware of false economy when choosing your lubricants. Oversize containers have more fluid than you need. Results in storing it for years, then disposing of it after it starts absorbing water. The Shell HD has a very lackluster spec sheet. The price of lubricants usually reflects their quality. I personally don't touch MF/Agco hydro fluid as it let me down twice, and the tech sheets aren't quite as good as the major competition.

/ GC2400 how bad is slight overfill hydo oil?
that is a very good point about fluid storage, have had bunch of training in safe fluid storage, shelf life tracking, certification, etc for airline stores dept and records depts. want to triple or quadruple the price of a gallon of fluid? certify it for airline use. single 5 gallon bucket of fire resistant skydrol runs around 1k $ US bulk purchases of 5 gallon cans (pretty much need that size for storage and usage) runs around 750 $ US per can for orders of 10 or more iirc. and the certification paperwork for it runs around 30 pages.

so yeah its something I instinctively think about but MOST do not.
it is something I should remember to mention more often.

my fluids/tools/all sorts of stuff stored in insulated 12x28 heated shed, tractor just won't fit inside and is too heavy for floor.
will be using a battery maintainer and will plug in block heater prior to starting due to tractor will be sitting in wind. no place I can put it where it would be protected.
I know some up here running that rotella in compact kubota and deere, just hoping to see if anyone had run it in a GC series in cold weather.
not sure if lakes keep you slightly warmer (albeit it with more snow) than I get but I am never surprised to see -25 F (~-31.5 C) and wind chills -35F (~-37C) here. not OFTEN but when it happens not surprised.
guys I know running it have never had issues I would rather hear from GC owners to be safe.
I buy 5 gallons because I service GC2400, the company I work for GC1723 and neighbors MF1732 as well as as keep a bobcat S595 topped off.
so I seldom have more than a gallon in shed and gallon in work truck.

Last edited:
   / GC2400 how bad is slight overfill hydo oil? #19  
Outside winter storage is problematic. Block heater and battery tender are great for starting the engine, but doesn't help the Hydro fluid. Low quality can cause issues. My GC ruptured the Hydro filter on startup with its original factory fill. It had 35hrs, on a cold morning, about +10 F. MF dealer did the 50hr service early, whatever fluid they used was unusable by 120hr due to water contamination. This was while it sat outside all year long. Switched to a very high quality Hydro fluid, never had any more issues. I matched the fluids to my conditions, never regretted the extra costs. The diesel will gel before the fluids reach their limits. I like the Kubota SUDT2 due to the specs. The Pour Point is good, Viscosity Index exceptional. Available in 1, 2.5, and 5 gallon containers, price/availability is reasonable. I can currently buy the Shell 5gallon for $35usd, but wouldn't touch it for the local conditions. SCUTs are harder on hydro oils, than larger tractors. When reading a tech sheet, always look for a Vickers/Eaton pass. The other ratings/"meets standards" don't mean a whole lot, but when the pump manufacturers OK the fluid, it carries a lot more clout.