GC2600 tachometer/squealing noise

/ GC2600 tachometer/squealing noise #11  
:laughing::laughing:

" Although thinking about it now, I should wrap some electrical tape or a zip tie around the cable so the nut doesn't slide all the way down under the battery again. I'm getting tired of fishing for that thing!"

Yep, BTDT too! I used a small hose clamp to prevent that nut from dropping out of sight. What a pain to retrieve! I had forgotten all about that until you reminded me.

/ GC2600 tachometer/squealing noise
Luckily I had a long half inch wide strip of aluminum laying around to guide it back up this weekend. The zip tie is on my to-do list now! :laughing:

/ GC2600 tachometer/squealing noise #13  
I had the same problem. So I tore it apart. The Tachometer is connected to the needle by a coupler with a viscus link...just like a torque converter. The oil that is inside ( assuming here... didn't part the coupler) must get cold enough that it locks up instead of slipping as it is designed. The only for sure fix is to keep it warm. It has nothing to do with keeping the cable warm, or changing the type of grease.
The only other fix is to hold the massey dealers 'feet to the fire' on the next tractor purchase of course.

/ GC2600 tachometer/squealing noise #14  
Post is a little dated, I also had same issue and disconnected for one winter. I didnt like the ID so I bought the new updated gear assembly from dealer with better lubricant inside and so far after three winters it has not done it since.

/ GC2600 tachometer/squealing noise #15  
I had a few (2 large 2 medium IIRC) bad spots in my cable so I replaced it, we'll see if it corrects problem.
been wondering if when replacing tach is there any way to get hours set correctly on it or is starting a 0 the only option?

/ GC2600 tachometer/squealing noise #16  
I dont think so but I remember watching a movie "Matilda" where a drill was used to roll back the odometer :)

/ GC2600 tachometer/squealing noise #17  
www.tinytachcom has a universal unit for diesels which works off of a pressure transducer on an injection line for 125 $ US. It won't track hours, but we should likely change oil per season rather than on hours on these little unit anyhow.
Way cheaper than paying 700 $ Canadian for a factory unit that will do the same thing anyhow.

/ GC2600 tachometer/squealing noise #18  
www.tinytachcom has a universal unit for diesels which works off of a pressure transducer on an injection line for 125 $ US. It won't track hours, but we should likely change oil per season rather than on hours on these little unit anyhow.
Way cheaper than paying 700 $ Canadian for a factory unit that will do the same thing anyhow.
I'm averaging 150 hours a year on mine so need to track hours as changes would easily come due mid seasons
I'll know in month or 2 whether mine was due to actual bad cable. was worn through the metal sheath in one spot now I think about it.