Gear chatter Yanmar YM240d

/ Gear chatter Yanmar YM240d #1  

Jtullis13

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM2210D & YM 155D
I am hearing what I think to be gear chatter when I push the clutch in while mowing with my bush hog. No noise at all when I’m moving and mowing, only when I go to push the clutch in while the pto is spinning the mower.

Any ideas what this could be?

/ Gear chatter Yanmar YM240d #2  
Possibly the internal overrun clutch.

/ Gear chatter Yanmar YM240d #3  
The 240 Has a internal PTO overrun. My 2000 Same motor/Trans. 3 PTO and the 240 2 gears so that is different. But no overrun so I use a OR 1-3/8 6 spline adapter. Watch for the PTO shaft to stop on the implement and listen for the noise. If the noise does stop when the PTO shaft stops would be a good indication of the problem. I would a magine you should be able to serv. it?

/ Gear chatter Yanmar YM240d #4  
The over-run clutch inside the PTO cavity is the same as the coaster mechanism on a bicycle. The clicking you hear on a bicycle when you quit pedaling is the same sound, except the tractor components are more massive.

That's likely what you hear. It doesn't mean anything.

Here's the YM240 PTO module. You will need to expand this photo to see it, but the round surface nearest the camera has ramps with drop-offs, that mesh with similar ramps also visible inside the cavity. This component is a one-way clutch. The engine can drive the PTO, but the inertia of a PTO implement can't transfer back through that coupling.

20190410_151607r-jpg.602943

/ Gear chatter Yanmar YM240d #5  
I noticed that my 1963 Ford 2000 looks to be a factory OR. It has a 2 stage clutch. :cool: Clutch has Been replaced in working order and it's nice. The first stage is the Tractor drive then the 2nd. disengages the PTO.. The old YM2000 OR clutch the dealer gave me when I bought it.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    642.9 KB · Views: 209

/ Gear chatter Yanmar YM240d
Thanks for everyone who responded to this. I feel better now that I know it’s nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the photo as well California.