Generator/Electrical Question

/ Generator/Electrical Question #11  
I use this simple 240 Volt, 30 amp switch (w/interlock) for well only. Use a 100 Ft 12 Gauge extension cord from generator (120 Volt receptacle) to power up fridge and coffee pot .... Kind of primitive living but easily survivable and comfortable.... Water is my main concern...

Full option would be a 200 AMP "Transfer switch" (w/interlock) and not fool with anything less that is prone to cause a lot of mischief and problems...

Last edited:
   / Generator/Electrical Question #12  
I use this simple 240 Volt, 30 amp switch (w/interlock) for well only. Use a 100 Ft 12 Gauge extension cord from generator (120 Volt receptacle) to power up fridge and coffee pot .... Kind of primitive living but easily survivable and comfortable.... Water is my main concern...

Full option would be a 200 AMP "Transfer switch" (w/interlock) and not fool with anything less that is prone to cause a lot of mischief and problems...
thats a pretty cool little switch, never seen that one before

/ Generator/Electrical Question #13  
It does what I want, its wired in after my pump "breakers" in main panel .... When I got it several years ago it was only $125.... It also has the L14-30P (shrouded) for generator pigtail on bottom....

Last edited:
   / Generator/Electrical Question #14  
I have a 10 KW generator on wheels. I had an electrician install an interlock and an outdoor male receptical specifically for a generator. All by the book. I've done some wiring, including industrially, but it's such a safety (and liability) issue, on this one I decided to make it official. It powers my whole breaker panel.

I could probably use something more "creative" without a problem, but... what if I was sick? what if it was somebody else trying to make it work? what if we had to move away and the next owner was clueless? and on, and on.

It really wasn't that expensive to have it done in a foolproof way.

With power wiring, it's a bad idea to have anything arranged in such a fashion that other people would not expect.

I love surprises, but not if it involves lethal voltage.

/ Generator/Electrical Question #15  
I have a 10 KW generator on wheels. I had an electrician install an interlock and an outdoor male receptical specifically for a generator. All by the book. I've done some wiring, including industrially, but it's such a safety (and liability) issue, on this one I decided to make it official. It powers my whole breaker panel.
That's what I have too, 10KW powered by a 3 cylinder Yanmar, and I installed the receptacle on the house near the meter and the required interlock on the breaker box.
I got to use it a few weeks after I installed it when a storm knocked some power poles down. It powered the whole house, well pump, A/C and all with no problems.

IMG_20210811_142241190 (Medium).jpg

/ Generator/Electrical Question #16  
That's what I have too, 10KW powered by a 3 cylinder Yanmar, and I installed the receptacle on the house near the meter and the required interlock on the breaker box.
I got to use it a few weeks after I installed it when a storm knocked some power poles down. It powered the whole house, well pump, A/C and all with no problems.

View attachment 723576
Really clean looking genny and setup....

/ Generator/Electrical Question
I really like the smoke stack and the anodized fittings.

/ Generator/Electrical Question #18  

View attachment 723576
O my goodness me, yes, this is about the cleanest looking engine and generator I've seen. Mine is crammed together and much of it is hidden as if being able to service it would be an embarrassment to the maker. And it's streamlined on the outside, as if people are going to race it. In reality, when it's running, having it rocketing away on its cheesy plastic casters would be on of the last things I'd want.

/ Generator/Electrical Question #19  
O my goodness me, yes, this is about the cleanest looking engine and generator I've seen. Mine is crammed together and much of it is hidden as if being able to service it would be an embarrassment to the maker. And it's streamlined on the outside, as if people are going to race it. In reality, when it's running, having it rocketing away on its cheesy plastic casters would be on of the last things I'd want.
Thanks, I built it from scratch over a 20 year period. Long story.
Better picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20210529_183928976 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_20210529_183928976 (Custom).jpg
    656 KB · Views: 87
   / Generator/Electrical Question #20  
I know that it's what I call a "deathdapter".

The only problem with the transfer switch, is that it doesn't have enough circuit space on it. Most of them are 10 circuits only. I want to be able to power the entire panel, and selectively choose what I want on the genset if need be.

From reading on Cutler Hammer, and Eaton's information books, my interlock kit I installed between my 200AMP and 50AMP breakers will work. It's common practice when situations exist when an entire panel needs to be energized.

It's just the extension cord I am using, I know, it's not the norm.

So I decided I am going to get a manual transfer switch and put yet another plug outside.
I had very similar circumstances you are having now.
Hope the following video I uploaded could be little help you understanding the electric wiring
John