Generators, voltage quality, and "sensitive electronics"

/ Generators, voltage quality, and "sensitive electronics" #11  
Me personally, I wouldn't run any electronics off a non-inverter type generator. I will continue to run my well pump, water heater, lights and fridge off a conventional style and have been doing so when required for the past 10 years.
Don't modern refrigerators have a lot of electronics in them now too?
That having been said, I haven't had any issues running one off a generator. I know people who'll run tvs off (non inverter) generators with no problems, maybe the somewhat ratty power isn't as big a deal as it's made out to be?

Curiously, why do these generators put out noisy power to begin with? Isn't it just a coil with spinning magnet (or something similar)? Given how noisy the power is from 12V inverters (like you'd use in a vehicle) you'd think inverter generators would be worse than regular ones.

/ Generators, voltage quality, and "sensitive electronics" #12  
While I have a Generac standby to power the critical items in my house, it doesn’t have sufficient overhead to handle the new quad mini split (48000) I installed earlier this year.

When I installed the mini splits I used the circuit which used to feed the 17 year old AC.

Living in the desert AC is mandatory especially during the monsoons. I bought a Wen 8750 inverter to dedicate to the mini split. Less than 1% THD. I installed a 14-50 outlet downstream of the disconnect which allows me 120/240 power available at that location, but becomes a feed input from the generator by pulling the disconnect before energizing. Yes, I know a suicide cord is required, but I know how to handle it properly by plugging it in to the “outlet” before plugging into the generator. Only me and my wife live here and she would not be able to move the gen from storage and hook up so no safety problem.

After I installed it I tested the system. First off, the ramp up amps during start of the compressor is virtually non existent. In fact the data label on the split lists LRA as 0!

I put all 4 air handlers on max temperature and the total electrical draw per Fluke was less than 14 amps, well within the generators output.

I have had to use the gen one time this season and all worked well.

/ Generators, voltage quality, and "sensitive electronics" #13  
Have an APC 1500VA UPS on a pellet stove. When the power fails it starts beeping, have 10-15 minutes to get a Honda 1000w inverter generator out, running and plugged into stove. The APC UPS produces a modified sine wave (stair stepped) and the AC motors growl as they try to speed up and slow down on a stepped sine wave. Everything OK after switching to Honda.

Working on upgrading the stove to an Ecoflow pro max solar generator with thier smart gas gen. for backup. Shouldn't have to get up in the middle of the night to have heat in the morning. May have slightly lower AC bills

Non inverter gens have a pure sine wave. The voltage or Hz (cycles per second) could be off. The electronics to control these generators are simpler, sometimes non existent (PTO gen).

Inverter gens add more electronics to control the sine wave. Buy a quality gen to hopefully get quality electronics. Personally I would avoid H.F. and cheep Chinese gens for this reason.

/ Generators, voltage quality, and "sensitive electronics" #14  
Don't modern refrigerators have a lot of electronics in them now too?
Probably, mine is just a fridge tho, nuthin' but thermostat and compressor cooling an insulated box. No water maker, internet, zone control, foot massage, tv, laptop, nutting but cold :). Same as my stove, washer and dryer...least ways until they die and I have to get new crap......

/ Generators, voltage quality, and "sensitive electronics" #15  
I do believe modern switching power supply are quite tolerant and can handle a lot of not so perfekt input, cheap square wave inverters should be much worse than a generator any way you look at it.

/ Generators, voltage quality, and "sensitive electronics" #16  
We've had more power outages this year than in years past, and I have been remiss in not being better prepped. We have two homes on the property, each with their own breaker panel. But the homes share a well system with pump and pressure tank. If we lose power, we only have the water in the tank. Want to be able to power the well pump from backup generator.

Have a couple of 5500/4800 watt, dual fuel Duromax generators. I have used them for small projects. They are electric start, and reliably start on propane. Have avoided ever putting gasoline in them, to improve their reliability.

I have most of the wiring done to hook one to the house with the well power, via a genny plug and 240v/30A circuit. Just need to install the manual lockout disconnector and breaker in the panel.

I've read many times about the potential to damage electronics with generator power. Have never heard of a real world example.

Anyone have experience with this happening?
Generally, well pumps will draw 3-7times their running current at start up. Unlike most other loads, they start at zero rpm against a full load. So, unless the well is shallow, and low flow, I wouldn't bet on a 6kW generator starting the well more than a few times. I.e. there is a real risk that you will burn out the generator. I also wouldn't want anything else hooked up when the generator was trying to start and run the well, as the voltage drop on start is likely to be large (aka brownout), and the voltage overshoot when it stops may also be large, depending on the type of generator that you have.

There are three main types of generators;
  • Old time brush generators that put out sine wave AC (no regulation beyond engine throttle for frequency, and may have very limited voltage regulation, as in only a capacitor or diode)
  • Newer brushless generators that mostly have some form of voltage and frequency regulation (some much better than others)
  • Inverter generators that make high frequency AC, rectify it to DC, and then transform the DC to tightly regulated AC (in terms of voltage, frequency, and distortion)
I have one of the first type, 4kW, and it is actually pretty good, and I use it around the property for running portable tools, I.e. one skill saw, or one electric chainsaw. Voltage is within 2% of specification no load to full load, except when a motor starts, and then the voltage drops 10% and 5Hz or so. Ok for motors.

I have two of the second type, and they both typically hold both voltage and frequency within 2% no load to full load. (Suddenly dropping an extra 2kW, on an existing 2kW load for a total of 4kW transiently drops 2Hz, and 3-4% in voltage.) The 5kW diesel happily runs the whole house, except for the electric dryer and AC. Both have solid automatic voltage regulator circuits built in, and it shows.

Inverter generators have very clean power, but, and it is a big but, they don't usually have the surge ratings of the other two generators, making them less ideal for starting wells. The largest that I have seen are around 8kW, so they may be able to start a 1.5-3HP well motor.

"Electronics" covers a host of products, some quite sensitive to power specifications and some not very. Read the label; if it says something like "AC 100-270V, 50-65Hz", it will probably be just fine on a generator. If it says "120V, 60Hz", you can't bet on it being happy, and if it is pricey, I would not put it on a random generator without testing the generator to see how well it puts out 120V/60Hz, both loaded and unloaded, and ideally testing to see what the harmonics look like.

So, @rbstern I kind of doubt that you would be happy starting your well pump with the 5kW generators. I suspect that they won't last long, but you might get lucky.

All the best,

Peter

/ Generators, voltage quality, and "sensitive electronics" #17  
We run our well pump off our generator. Have had zero problems with it. It is not a name brand but the engine is a honda. I would not run electronics off of it. I'd love to get a big Champion inverter style generator so I can just run whatever I want.

Need to check the starting draw of your pump to make sure you have enough power. Mine generator is 6900/8500. It can start the pump no problem. As long as I am not running a bunch of other stuff at the same time.

/ Generators, voltage quality, and "sensitive electronics" #18  
We used to run our well pump and frig/freezers/lights/etc. on a little 4,400 watt generator. Had to take everything off to start the well pump.

Now have an Isuzu diesel drive generator that runs the whole house but for the big heat pump and swimming pool pump and some other big stuff like the stove top and oven.

The electrician carefully adjusted the run speed on the Isuzu to get the right voltage. Never did anything to the little generator. Never had any electronics problems.

/ Generators, voltage quality, and "sensitive electronics" #20  
Can you install a soft starter on a well pump?
This MIGHT work for a pump motor. It’s designed for AC or compressors, but the motors aren’t a lot different. Give Ziller a call.