Generators, voltage quality, and "sensitive electronics"

/ Generators, voltage quality, and "sensitive electronics" #31  
A well pump question from a novice. Does anyone manufacture a well pump with a soft start motor?
Submersible pumps are usually soft start to reduse the twisting force on the plastic hose.

If it's not you should be able to buy one from an electrician.

/ Generators, voltage quality, and "sensitive electronics" #32  
Lots of generators bought in a rush when utility started cutting power due to fire danger.

My guess is 95% had no clue and I have helped a few when the 1100W generator didn’t do what they thought it should.

The next issue is living with the sound… especially when the whole neighborhood is mowing their lawns at midnight is what it sounds like.

Utility just put out a notice of incentive to purchase specified generators and get a $300 rebate and then be eligible for a free meter tie in which incorporates the disconnect.

Time will tell… would love to have the meter tie in but don’t need another generator.

/ Generators, voltage quality, and "sensitive electronics" #33  
Lots of generators bought in a rush when utility started cutting power due to fire danger.

My guess is 95% had no clue and I have helped a few when the 1100W generator didn’t do what they thought it should.

The next issue is living with the sound… especially when the whole neighborhood is mowing their lawns at midnight is what it sounds like.

Utility just put out a notice of incentive to purchase specified generators and get a $300 rebate and then be eligible for a free meter tie in which incorporates the disconnect.

Time will tell… would love to have the meter tie in but don’t need another generator.
Buy the generator, get the meter tie, and sell the generator? I had similar thoughts.

All the best,

Peter

/ Generators, voltage quality, and "sensitive electronics" #34  
Buy the generator, get the meter tie, and sell the generator? I had similar thoughts.

All the best,

Peter
Me too… last I checked that type of tie in was not PGE approved per the manufacturer’s website.

It would be nothin to the install at Moms but I have not thought through what complications if any adding the tie in with existing solar

/ Generators, voltage quality, and "sensitive electronics" #35  
Me too… last I checked that type of tie in was not PGE approved per the manufacturer’s website.

It would be nothin to the install at Moms but I have not thought through what complications if any adding the tie in with existing solar
Good question. A meter transfer would probably heat up the solar inverter, which could end with the solar running the generator, leading to system damage. You may have to shut off the solar inverter separately. No problem as long as it's dark out.

/ Generators, voltage quality, and "sensitive electronics" #36  

Good question. A meter transfer would probably heat up the solar inverter, which could end with the solar running the generator, leading to system damage. You may have to shut off the solar inverter separately. No problem as long as it's dark out.

Yes, you need to shut off solar when in a generator for the health of both. Both "thinkl that they have control over supply when in fact it is shared, and neither can function as an energy sink.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Generators, voltage quality, and "sensitive electronics" #37  
Almost required a three-way switch to be fool proof?

/ Generators, voltage quality, and "sensitive electronics" #39  
Almost required a three-way switch to be fool proof?
If I were wiring it up, I would put the transfer switch ahead of the house, but beyond the solar. Then you only need one switch, although two load panels.

Philosophically, I am with @Larry Caldwell and Edward Teller, though the NEC tries really hard.

All the best,

Peter