Generic wheel motors

/ Generic wheel motors #1  

scotts562

Bronze Member
Does anyone have experience using generic versions of the white ce400 wheel motors used on the smaller PTs? Anyone ever mix name brand wheel motors with generic versions on the same machine and if so, did it cause any problems?

I ask because I have had zero luck with rebuilds over the years. Try to keep a spare on the shelf. The price I am finding for White branded wheel motors has doubled in the past few years (now ~ $900 + each). White has been bought then sold by Sauer Danfoss recently. Current lead times from White are measured in months/years. There is a company in FL selling a knockoff. Appears to be china made. Single wheel motor for $ 530 each. Buy 5 or more $ 390 each.

Thanks in advance

/ Generic wheel motors
Seals give out and they start leaking oil

/ Generic wheel motors #4  
Just for reference, how many hours on your machine? Did you routinely change the hydraulic oil filter at every 50 hours?

/ Generic wheel motors
Over 4000 hrs on this one. Regular filter changes. I have multiple machines with this wheel motor hence the question about the generics.

/ Generic wheel motors #6  
Over 4000 hrs on this one. Regular filter changes. I have multiple machines with this wheel motor hence the question about the generics.
I struggle with the cost benefit ratio for brand X hydraulic motors, as motors/pumps are intrinsically high precision, and a motor failure could take out all the pumps and motors since there is no in circuit filter for the motors. I will be awaiting the details of your trial, if you go forward with the generics.

I would take the time to flush the motor on the bench with clean oil before use.

All the best,

Peter

/ Generic wheel motors
I struggle with the cost benefit ratio for brand X hydraulic motors, as motors/pumps are intrinsically high precision, and a motor failure could take out all the pumps and motors since there is no in circuit filter for the motors. I will be awaiting the details of your trial, if you go forward with the generics.

I would take the time to flush the motor on the bench with clean oil before use.

All the best,

Peter
As a general rule, I agree with you. This machine may be the exception. The cost benefit changes when you buy enough wheel motors. No one can figure out why this particular machine loves blowing out wheel motors. I have learned to live with it. Shop around for the best price. Keep a spare on the shelf.

I used to worry about pieces from a failed wheel motor damaging other stuff. This machine received a new tram pump and pressure relief valve about 1200 hours ago. It looked like sand had been run thru the pump. (again, regular filter changes, i make my living with these machines so maintenance is cheap, down time expensive). Flushed the hydraulic system. The metal bits flushed out looked alot like welding slag. Still some slag stuck to the inside of the tank. I suppose it could have been deformed wheel motor pieces, but they sure didn't look like it.

I appreciate your input.

/ Generic wheel motors #8  
Do those motors have external case drain? If yes triple check that line since high case pressure is what typically causes seals to fail. If no case drain then would start by monitoring both work port pressures on that motor. One side needs to be low enough to prevent seal damage. Note: I am not sure what pressure the shaft seals are rated for.

/ Generic wheel motors #9  
As far as I know, none of the 400 series machines have case drains on the wheel motors. Maybe the newer ones do, but mine does not.

/ Generic wheel motors #10  
As a general rule, I agree with you. This machine may be the exception. The cost benefit changes when you buy enough wheel motors. No one can figure out why this particular machine loves blowing out wheel motors. I have learned to live with it. Shop around for the best price. Keep a spare on the shelf.

I used to worry about pieces from a failed wheel motor damaging other stuff. This machine received a new tram pump and pressure relief valve about 1200 hours ago. It looked like sand had been run thru the pump. (again, regular filter changes, i make my living with these machines so maintenance is cheap, down time expensive). Flushed the hydraulic system. The metal bits flushed out looked alot like welding slag. Still some slag stuck to the inside of the tank. I suppose it could have been deformed wheel motor pieces, but they sure didn't look like it.

I appreciate your input.
It sounds like you have this in hand!

Welding slag like material is an odd one. I wonder it got there. Perhaps it could have been an inclusion in a pump or motor casting that broke free? Hopefully it was a one and done.

FWIW: There are bidirectional filters, for things like motor circuits, but when I looked into them, I decided that they were pricey, bulky, and made a hit on performance by the work needed to move oil through the filter.

All the best,

Peter