Getting a new portable fuel tank.

/ Getting a new portable fuel tank. #41  
Dont know about other states, and mobile rigs here are starting to be double shell. But stationary here need containment field.

/ Getting a new portable fuel tank. #42  
The regs for above ground storage here, as were above an aquifer, require a catch basin. Strict regs. No one will fill it without certification. WAY WAY more expensive than transfer tank.
i stopped installing diesel generators due to strict DEQ requirements for fuel containment. The system doubled the cost of the generator.
I hear you and don't doubt the outrage you experienced. We are surrounded by outrages these days.

However, this is utterly absurd and probably out of context of what tractor owners are discussing here. What is a DEQ?

What is the definition of "above ground storage" in Idaho that triggers the requirement for a containment basin around it? Most people in the entire US are "above an aquifer." I wager there are thousands of above ground tanks in Idaho and a large % of them filled by distributors. Do people heat with fuel oil there ? Probably a heck of a lot of them do. Here in southern MD most people heating with something better than the chills of heat pumps are heating with fuel oil -- including me and most of my neighbors. NONE of the above ground fuel oil tanks here have containment basins for them. There is obviously no justification for it. And I live about 50 feet from a salt water inlet off the Chesapeake Bay in an official "critical area" declared so by the state. #2 fuel oil and diesel fuel are of course the same thing.

/ Getting a new portable fuel tank. #43  
I hear you and don't doubt the outrage you experienced. We are surrounded by outrages these days.

However, this is utterly absurd and probably out of context of what tractor owners are discussing here. What is a DEQ?

What is the definition of "above ground storage" in Idaho that triggers the requirement for a containment basin around it? Most people in the entire US are "above an aquifer." I wager there are thousands of above ground tanks in Idaho and a large % of them filled by distributors. Do people heat with fuel oil there ? Probably a heck of a lot of them do. Here in southern MD most people heating with something better than the chills of heat pumps are heating with fuel oil -- including me and most of my neighbors. NONE of the above ground fuel oil tanks here have containment basins for them. There is obviously no justification for it. And I live about 50 feet from a salt water inlet off the Chesapeake Bay in an official "critical area" declared so by the state. #2 fuel oil and diesel fuel are of course the same thing.
DEQ ..Sorry, thats dept of environmental quality. THERE a total pain in the ass. You should see what they do to older gas stations with underground tanks. Not sure about where you live, but they prevented me from installing a permanent above ground tank due to required costs to comply. So this dies pertain to what were taking about…at least in my circumstances.

/ Getting a new portable fuel tank. #44  
Hmmm, ... Yes, we have severe angst with underground tanks here, not above ground. The theory here in Maryland is that if it is above ground and leaking it is visible and easy to tell. Below ground tanks give them an excuse to go berserk. I know of people whose underground tanks began to leak and they were required to call in certified tank removers and decontaminator people. They literally dig up soil from all around the tank to some specified distance out from the tank, quarantine the soil and haul it off to some far distant facility to be incinerated in EPA approved incinerators. They do cleanup afterwards as if the site was a biohazard superfund candidate. THEN they bury the final dagger in the heart of the property owner with a bill for thousands of dollars. Many thousands. I have not been a victim yet but I do own a 1000 gal buried tank which I watch very carefully for water contamination.

/ Getting a new portable fuel tank. #45  
I picked up a scratch and dent 80gallon tank/toolbox combo for $600, the toolbox was banged up but the tank is pristine. They had locked it and lost the keys, I drilled it open and found a GPI 8gpm pump and filter inside.

Attachments

• IMG_5918.jpg
    IMG_5918.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 101
   / Getting a new portable fuel tank. #46  
I use a 5 gal so called safety can just sit it on
the hood put snout in fuel tank and wait for 5
minutes yes it takes 5 full minutes to empty the
5 gallon safety can! IT SUCKS!!!!!
Tractor tank is 7.4 gal when the fuel light flashes
I can only get 5 gal in. I go very slow the ground
here was for raising beef and not smooth! I burn
a gallon per hour. I have a 55 gallon tank in back
of my pickup and a 55 gall oil drum will be using
them soon,, plant them on a shelf and siphon the
fuel. Only cost will be the hose for fuel. I get the
cheap clear plastic hose from the lumber company.
Tractor supply & Home Depot have tanks cheaper
and get the $10 pump less that $500 for 55 gal tank
and pump

willy

/ Getting a new portable fuel tank. #48  
I have the 106 gallon version of this. I love it, I can pick it up with forks on the tractor, easy to move and easy to fill. Pump works on 12v

/ Getting a new portable fuel tank. #49  
After my drum split scare I'm done with large plastic diesel storage. I just pumped the rest of mine into 5 gallon plastic containers so I could situate my new to me aluminum tank.
IMG_2838.JPG

Not sure if it counts for containment but I do have a heavy duty tarp the size of my barn underneath the crushed brick. Wouldn't be anyway to remove a spill without destroying the tarp but it might eventually evaporate. Just hoping I never have a spill that large. I got lucky on the drum split and it stopped above the level of remaining fuel.

Here is my new to me aluminum tank. Supposed to receive the gauge I plan to install today so after that is set I can order a fill up.
IMG_2842.JPG

/ Getting a new portable fuel tank. #50  
super interesting reading! haven't thought about such options